DIY Amp Restoration

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1382
So my neighbor is a bit nutty....in a good way. Anyway, he's retired and found a very old pair of Scott mono, integrated, tube amps (35 watts each) about 2 yrs ago. Not wanting to trust any of the internal parts, he spent about 5 life times tracking down resistors, capacitors, etc. He replaced all of the input jacks with gold plated and added pre out/power in jacks.

He finally got the amps up and running last week. The pre-amp outs are run to an electronic crossover. The sub bass goes to a pair of powered subs. The main signal goes back to the power amps. He is currently running b&w shelf spkrs on stands. I am not the biggest fan of tubes, but this set up sounds nice! I wanted to post pics, but he's funny about that. Sorry!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3479
Wow James no word of a lie my neighbor across the street (71 years old) dug out his old mono amps the other week and guess what they are? Scott tube amps.lol. They need recapping big time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1391
Scott made good amps at one time Nick. "But that was once upon a time, very long ago..."

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3484
lol His Scott appears to be a beast. I would love to get it up and running for him.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1398
Beast? Yeah, that's about as good a description as any.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14418
That could be a great sounding setup...especially if he uses something other than the B&W's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1411
I ran into the neighbor yesterday Art. He said that he is going speaker shopping today. He and I both really like how the b&ws sound with the scott amps though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us