Up grading to high end a little help please?

Username: Shirleytweax

Post Number: 1
I wasn't sure where to ask this because it means replacing almost the entire system. Speakers seems like a busy area, so I came here. I asked a friend of mine for advice and he recommended ecoustics.

Quick intro: just call me shirley. I am 21, single, female and a dumb blonde who came into money.

I want to replace my receiver system with high end. Integrated amp or seperates don't matter. As long as it sounds great.

Budget: money is no object

Room: 30 x 40 with 12 ft ceiling

Music: rock/metal, jazz, classical, easy listening & some other stuff.

I plan to keep my iPod dock, hd tuner, xm tuner and hdtv in the system. The current disc player will be replaced along with the receiver, speakers & sub. I plan to keep it stereo (2.1 channels). I would like to get one player to play cds, sacds, dvds & blu-ray discs. I only want video capability for concerts on dvd & blu-ray.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Post Number: 2
I should also tell you I am in no rush. I am figuring on as much as a year. The room has no windows and is sound proof (if that matters). There is only one door along one of the 30' walls. Most of the room is carpeted except for a 10 x 30 ft "stage" at the end opposite end from the door. This area is tiled.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16154

Where do you live? Are there any independent audio dealers in your region who specialize in high quality audio? Have you visited a store or a home where you were attracted to the quality of sound being reproduced by a high quality audio system? Did you pay attention to what brands of equipment were in the system? What brands do you presently consider to offer good value and good quality?

Do you attend live music performances? If so, what sort of music do you hear and what is your impression of the sound quality at these concerts? Who are your favorite performers? Can you explain why these artists appeal to you?

Without resorting to the typical "tight bass" and "clear mids", what are your ideas regarding the quality of reproduced music? What's important to you? Do you have a short list of priorities?

Do you now play, or have you ever played, a musical instrument? If you don't play, do you know anyone who does? This could even be someone in a high school or a garage band.

Finally, how will you use the sytem? Will you sit and listen to music without other distractions? No reading or using the computer while the music is playing. Or, will the music primarily be background music? How many rooms or locations will have speakers?

Post Number: 3
I live in Northern NJ. I am not aware of any such dealers near me. About a year ago, I was at friend's house. His system with an Onkyo receiver sounded so much better than my all Sony system. When I told him so he told me this aint nothin'! You should hear a high end rigg! I replaced my Sony receiver & speakers with a Denon receiver and B&W speakers and added a polk audio subwoofer because the sony stuff just didn't cut it anymore. Sorry I don't remember any model numbers. My system is at home in NJ and I vacationing in San Antonio right now. My friend brought me to another friend's house. He had McIntosh power amps. I don't recall what brand his cd player, pre-amp, speakers and other parts were. It sounded great though.

Live performances? Usually local bands in bars. I rarely see big names. I don't play any instrument, but I know a lot of local musicians and I'd rather see them live than big acts. Favs that you might know of are metallica, tourniquet, sepultura, miles davis, john coltrane, max roach, frank sinatra, roger whittaker, carpenters, mozart & beethoven.

No tight bass or clear mids huh? Ok! I like the fact that I can hear stuff on the system I have now that I couldn't hear on the old one. I could hear even more on the high end system. Instruments sound more realistic on better systems too. So while what I have now is better than what I had before, there is still room for improvement.

I hope this post makes sense to you Jan.

Post Number: 4
Oh yeah, the system will be used for listening without distractions. This room will be the only one with speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4409
Not sure where in Northern NJ you are nor how close you are to Westchester or CT you are.

There's a place in Summit called Nexus Hifi, or something like that. Haven't been there, but they have some interesting gear on their website. I spoke to them over the phone a while back, and they seemed interesting.

My two favorite shops are Accent on Music in Mt Kisko, NY and Audiocomm in Greenwich, CT. Accen on Music has mainly Naim, Rega, and Linn gear. Excellent people who own that shop. They know how to treat customers and take care of them.

Audiocomm carries Bryston, Levinson, Arcam, B&W, and a bunch of others. Very good selection of stuff and very nice people to deal with as well.

I'd trust Accent and Audiocomm to give you a great demo and not take you for a ride. Look them up, and call and make an appointment with them if you're not too far.

Post Number: 5
Thank you Stu! I'll check those places out when I get home. I'll be in texas another week 1/2. I want to check out a store here too. I live in sussex county, the northern most county in the state.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16157

Roger Whittaker and sepultura?!!!

And, aren't an awful lot of those people dead? Really, really dead?

They have medications for that, you know?

Well, eclecticism in musical habits is generally a good thing. So we'll go with this showing you are a well rounded listener. How's that?

It does also present a few issues that will need to be addressed when selecting an appropriate system. The qualities which make metal bombastically appealing are often at odds with the qualities which make Sinatra intimately emotive. I am tending - once again - toward my consistent advice that you establish a few priorities, those qualities you feel you must have for a successful system and those things which you can do without. Even when cash is not the limiting factor, there are always trade offs in audio and spanning such a diverse group of favorite artists will certainly impose a few. This is one case where throwing more money into the pot will definitely help the final stew.

I like the fact that I can hear stuff on the system I have now that I couldn't hear on the old one. I could hear even more on the high end system. Instruments sound more realistic on better systems too."

Two points to make here; 1) audio designers understand this idea and any competent designer can build in this quality of "hearing stuff". It is easily noticed in the showroom demo and will generally make a client choose one component over another during quick A/B comparisons. Be very careful with such demonstrations, a goosed up presence zone in the response of the system will provide a false sense of hearing new things. It will also tend towards not wearing very well over the long run as you begin to hear nothing but the character of the system and the system cannot shift gears to accommodate various styles of performance. A decent bit of advice that is too oftem misunderstood is to choose the component or speaker that impresses you the least in the showroom. If you are constantly aware of the system trying to impress you, you will eventually have difficulty listening to the music. The broader the range of material, the more this is true. Select the product that allows you just to hear what the musicians were attempting to accomplish and nothing more. Think not of what does a good audio system sounds like (ideally, it should sound like nothing) but rather of the emotional connection you might achieve at a live performance and, with very few exceptions, make that your first choice. Don't be afraid to go backwards if you find the system dominating the music. You want to make as many correct choices the first time out as possible and minimize the need to re-spend in a few months. Take your time and ask to be left alone with the system for long stretches of time which should allow you to just listen. Do this with slow weekday morning/afternoon appointments with the various shops you visit. No audio shop can do a proper demo during a weekend or busy evening.

The second point is, of course, how do you know what is realistic in music which is intentionally distorted as is metal? Amplified instruments played back through amplification presents a definite problem with "realism".

Stop by a few of the better shops down in SA. Let them know you are just visiting and probably will not be buying from them. This should allow the salesperson a bit more freedom to just let you listen. Start with any shop's best system and take in what it has to offer. Step down a few thousand dollars and make some comparisons regarding diminishing returns between the two systems. After you reach a particular price point and you've accomplished most of your goals, the incremental increases in performance come at expotentially broader price points - it eventually costs lots more to gain an ever smaller advantage. This should help you get started with your priorities list.

Read the forum archives. The same issues are addressed with each request for assistance. There's lots of good information to get you started down the right path.

Post Number: 6
Thanks Jan!

"roger whittaker and sepultura?!!" Yep! I was exposed to a lot of music from an early age. My mom likes a lot of types of music and hates tv. Plus we were good friends with our neighbors who brought a lot of styles to the table....literally! As in the picnic table in the shared back yard.

"aren't an aweful lot of those people dead? Really, really dead?"

I know I am only 21 and don't know much, but I thought you could only be SO dead! ROTFL!

Seriously, an artist being dead is not a stopper for me.

MEDS! YOU'RE KILLING ME!

As for priorities, I guess just having all of the types of music sound as realistic as possible would be #1. Does that make sense? Somehow that seems worded wrong.

I can see why people miss your point about buying the least impressive component. It doesn't sound right until you think about it. I guess most peeps don't take the time to think about it.

One of my friends here in SA is going to take my hi fi shopping tomorrow. I'll try to keep you posted (no promises) thank you for all your help. Now that it cleared up (yeah! It hardly ever rains in SA! Except when I visit! Lol!), it's time to go out and have fun!

Post Number: 9
Well, I spent a few hrs at the only store we could find that sells true high end. The guys were helpful, one was cute. They only carry about 5 brands of amps and b&w 800s and nautalis are the only high end speaker they have. Those speakers sound real nice with McIntosch or b&k amps, not so good with the others. I hope the shops back east have more selection!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4410
Audiocomm in Greenwich has a ton of stuff. Accent on Music is a bit limited, but what they've got is quality over quantity.

Nexus has a lot of brands listed on their website. A lot of good stuff. Between those three shops, I doubt you'll still be looking IMO.

Take your time with it. You should get a good sense of what the systems bring to the table (not the picnic table) after hearing a few. That should help you narrow things down and help you determine what you're really looking for in a system. We can describe qualities all day, but the only way to really get a grasp of what means what is to listen to a few different things. Terms like laid back, warm, bright, etc. won't make much sense until you really hear them.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1345
Shirley, I take it you went to Bjorn's? I've been in there. If you had asked me before going, I would have told. Still it's good you went and at least got started. I called my friend in Montegue. He said he'd go with you to stores when you get back to NJ. You know, the guy with the 3 dogs he calls "the girls" who lives a little too close to the river? He knows the 3 shops Stu is talking about.

Post Number: 10
Thank you Stu! I'll be sure to check those stores out.

Yup James, I went to Bjorn's! As usual, your son was the big protector.

I remember your friend, nice guy! Good keyboardist too! His initials are B.F. Too bad he refuses to date young chicks or could be my bf! Oh well! I wish you'd move back to NJ James. I miss having you & the fam next door. Maybe next time I come to Texas, I'll stay with "y'all" as they say (if the offer still stands). I just had to be on the riverwalk this time. Party girl me. Your little town is less happening than sussex county! No offense! Anyway, thanks for calling your friend I guess all 4 of you are coming to town tomorrow? Maybe we could take a boat ride?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1347
That's my boy! That's what you get for being like a sister to him!

Move back to NJ? Not gonna happen. We miss living next to you too, but that state just isn't for us. I know my town is quiet. That's how the wife & I like it. The boys might move into the city when they're ready to spread their wings & fly. We'll try to be in town by 8 am. We can do boat rides, visit the alamo, la vallita, whatever you want. It's your vacation kid. What we don't get to tomorrow, we can do next week. I just wish I could have had this week off too. Tell Lindsey to rest up & get better so she can go places with us. C u in the mornin' and don't party it up too much ok?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1368
Shirley, I know you won't see this till you get home, but I thought I'd show you why I gave you the heads up b4 you posted here. I am sure you'll see how one individual can be very helpful one second and a complete @sshole the next.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/Jan-Vigne-banned

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/680435

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16156
Come on James!

Don't fall into this play!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1373
Well Plymouth, Shirley is like a daughter to me. She was my neighbor when I lived in NJ. I just didn't want her to be caught off guard when the bombastic blowhard gets upset if she should do anything outside of his narrow little scope. For instance, if he recommends that she give tubes a try and she is not interested or some other infraction of the rules of Jan. I can feel the storm a brewin' now!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4429
Any progress Shirley?

I just stopped by Audiocomm. They're moving to Norwalk, CT and are in transition right now. The salesman said it'll be a few weeks before they're truly settled in, but they're doing demos by appointment in Norwalk. The Greenwich store is just about empty. I tried to get a guy to load a Bryston 4BSST 2 into my trunk instead of the moving truck, but no dice.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2348
without regard to any problems jan and I do or do not have, one of them is NOT the recommendation of specific equipment.

I've seen Jan skip hundreds of threads where people recommend specific gear. That's why the first question is, without fail, about musical priorities.

I appreciate being protective, but it sounds like Shirley has her head on straight......

Gold Member

Post Number: 1412
Shirley flew back to NJ Sunday nite. She called me Tuesday. My friend, "Uncle B" as she calls him has taken her to a couple of places. I don't recall which ones. She is having issues with her pc. She said she'll get on and post when she gets it working and has a chance and give updates. She said to thank everyone for their help.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16286

Since you're so adamant about everyone knowing what has transpired between you and I, james, here's something for Shirley to consider; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/683016.html#POST1956614

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=1910041#POST1910041

Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
You're too funny Jan! Shirley hasn't had much time for system shopping lately, let alone spending time online when not work related. I spoke to her on the phone last night. She told me to tell that she appreciates your help. However, since you've insulted me relentlessly, she has no interest in dealing with you further. I am the closest thing to a father she ever knew, so rest assured, she is not about to take your side. Proud of yourself Jan?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1517
If you knew what she'd tell you if she did come back, you'd be glad. She does not take kindly to anyone messing with her dad. That's why she decided to stay out of here.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 863
This is just great. First time I've visited ecoustics for a long time and Jan is still making an impression, in one way or the other. I hope everybody is well anyhow!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
I'm doing great J. How 'bout you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1520
The really funny thing Jan, you say you have seen my posts in other forums. If you looked for me elsewhere, you wouldn't know where to look. This comes after you accused me of looking for you in other forums and called me "sick" for it. You must be pretty sick yourself there Janny boy.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16289

And you are welcome for any assistance I've provided over the years to you, Jarvis. You're timing is wonderful.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16290

I didn't go looking for your posts, james, as you went looking for mine. I went to the Stereophile forums for some information for another thread. There I stumbled upon your post regarding my banishment from the Stereophile forums.

Whether Shirley "sides" with me is once again not the issue. You continue to see this as a game that must have a winner and a looser. I do suspect Shirley will be surprised to see that her "dad" posted anything on a public forum which contains, "By the time you were 10, she was pimping you out to g@y men! How's that for a laugh?"

I know I'd see my father in a different light if I came across that post - the one leo said was a "massively vulgar" post. If that were my parent and I saw what was coming out of their head, and not just once but constantly, I'd feel very differently about them. I posted the link to provide Shirley some insight into what is happening to you. I can't make her act any more than I can make you disappear. I just wish her the best under the circumstances, she seeemed like a sweet girl who deserves better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1521
As I said Jan, I am not a member of sp and have no idea what post you are refering to. I don't see these as a game Jan. I see this as just what it is, you and antagonising me, then crying when you get what you deserve for it. Then you refuse to own up to your actions and if that weren't enough, having done all of that, you question my maturity and mental health? How dare you!?!? You Jan are the mentally ill child here, not me.

As for Shirley, are you really so stupid as to believe you can turn her against me? It aint gonna happen. Blood is thicker than water Jan. She already saw all of our conversations. She doesn't approve of what I said about the pimping out thing, but she certainly understands why I said it. If you play with fire, you WILL get burned Jan, plain & simple. So no, she doesn't think less of me, but she never wants anything to do with you again. So once again you have alienated yet another op in this forum. You can put another notch in your belt Jan. I really hope your proud of yourself Jan. The forums are full of people who detest you. Way to go!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16293

She appreciates my assistance but doesn't want anything more to do with me? Who convinced her of that?

The forums are full of people who don't like me. I know that, james. Like you, they were never very knowledgeable when it came to audio and, like you, they refused to have civil discussions of facts which would have allowed them to see audio in a different light. It seems we live in a society where the rules dictate you must detest anyone whom you see as possessing knowledge while you go about celebrating your absolute belief that stupid trumps intelligence and experience.

There is quite a trail of just such poseurs who have come and gone from this forum. I suspect they all remember my name though I can't say I have more than a vague recollection of their smell. I look forward to the day you join them in their grand ignorance, james.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1524
She came to that on decission on her own. All she did was read archives. I have literally known Shirely her whole life. She has a mind of her own. No one dictates her likes and dislikes for her. Oh, and there's the childish tongue again. Another big surprise!

The forums are full of folks who, like me, can't deal with your stupid, childish crap. You are a detestable child Jan. End of story.

If you think for even one 2nd, I'll turn tail and run from you, think again Jan. I intend to stay here, you crap, not with standing, so, either learn some manners or get what you deserve. GOT THAT!?!?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16294

ROTFLMAO AT YOU, JAMES, ROTFLMAO!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1528
Typical response of a child Jan. You only laugh when it's inappropriate to do so.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16297

I'M ROTFLMAO AT YOU BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS APPROPRIATE TO LAUGH AT YOU. You are a schmuck!

You are a know nothing schmuck!!!

" ... either learn some manners or get what you deserve. GOT THAT!?!?"

OOOOOOHHH! You're so tough, james! OOOOOOOOOHHH! I'm so scared!

ROTFLMAO - AGAIN!

I mean, what's not to laugh at about you? You can't carry on a civil conversation with anyone on this forum, you've proven over and over again you are mentally unstable and you think you're just sooooo d*mn tough that you're gonna give me what I deserve?!!!

What I deserve is you gone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1531
If you want something to laugh at, go look in the mirror! You'll the biggest fool of all time laughing back at you.

You're a pathetic childish worm Jan and nothing more. What you deserve is to be banned from this and all audio forums. You shouldn't be allowed to use a computer, tablet cell phone or any other internet device for the rest of your life.

I'm sure by the time you see this you'll have a whopper of a hang over. You must have been good and sloshed to make the posts you did last night.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us