Focus 110 or 140

Bronze Member
Username: Arien

Post Number: 61
Hi,

Last year i had a chance to own a Mcintosh MA6900 and i was using it with Monitor Audio Silver RS6s. I'm in the process of upgrading the speakers as I believe that the Mc deserves a better pair than the MA RS6s. I'm looking at Dynaudio as I have owned an Audience 52 before and love them but was forced to sell them due to relocation. There's a focus 110 and 140 for sale here in the local forum and the price difference between them is about 1k AUD.

I have to mention that my music area is only 3.5m x 5m.

Is the focus 110 enough considering the size of the room? I read somewhere that the 140 requires bigger distance from the back wall. Or should i go with the focus 140? Does the difference in sound between the 2 justifies the price difference of 1k AUD?

thank you

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4696
I would think the RS6 with the 6900 would sound pretty good. Wait a minute, I've heard the 6900 with RS6s right here in my home, lol.

The RS6 really come alive with a powerful (but subdued) amp like the 6900.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15692
IMO, the little 110 would be tasked in the room, amp is not a problem.

I spent some time with the 140's a while back, on a MC2505 amp, ad those little speakers are quite nice.
If you like to rock, also see Revel speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
THank David, Nuck...

David, which tap are you using 4 or 8?
Also, how far from the back wall?
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4702
From what I remember I was using the 4 ohm taps, since the RS6 are 6 ohm nominal. I usually keep my speakers a good 2 feet away from the back wall.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Thanks David...

I think i have a chance to get a good deal for the Contour S1.4, so it will be between focus 140 and Contour S1.4. Should i go for the contour 1.4? what are the improvements in the 1.4?
thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Hi,

I went to the Dyn dealer today and listened to both Focus 140 and Contour S1.4. I like the Contour S1.4 than the focus 140 but not to say that the focus 140 is bad, it is a very fine speaker as well but Contour has more of what the focus have in every respect. So, I made the deposit for the Rosewood finish with black stand 4. Cant wait to hear them in my place with my MA6900

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4375
The Dyn Contours (and Focus) are very good speakers IMO. The Contours need a bit of power behind them, but your Mac should have no issues whatsoever.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Thanks Stu, I'm really excited to hear that Mc+Dyn combo. The dealer was using Plinius amp and Primare CDP when i auditioned them and they sound lovely
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us