Marantz
Nad_(suspect though)
Onkyo
Pioneer
Rotel
Yamaha

not looking at -JVC, Arcam, panasonic, philips, sony

should any on this list change?

currently top dog is HK 525 because of its onboard ability to decode mp3's.

Hawk
I think the H/K 525 is the best choice for your axioms. BTW, you will never find a Rotel in your price range--they start at $1400.

Say What?!?
I would pull Kenwood off your list, and i dont believe if it where mine pioneer would be on it either. I recently listened to a Denon 3804 and the (less expensive and rated at less wattage)H/K525 in a local dealer sound room, and the Denon was dissapointing on the power, but it did have a good sound, though no better than the H/K. I can't say on the NAD, as I havent heard one. Onkyo's are a nice reciever but they are rated on one channel at one frequency and usually at 6ohms, which isnt a true measure of usable power.

I am getting ready to purchase a 525 now, unless my wife gives the go ahead for a H/K7200. Hope that helps a little.

John A.
"Nad_(suspect though)"

There seem to be genuine quality control issues, raised here, with some T752 models. NAD fixes these, either directly or through dealers or distributors.

Hawkson
updated list

Denon
Harmon Kardon
Kenwood
Marantz
Nad_(suspect though)
Onkyo
Pioneer
Rotel
Denon
Harmon Kardon
Kenwood
Marantz
Onkyo
Pioneer
Yamaha

not looking at -JVC, Arcam, panasonic, philips, sony , Rotel, Nad

Hawk
With your Axiom speakers I would definitely pull Yamaha off the list. It is rather bright sounding which would be exaggerated by your axioms--not a good match, at all.

any reason you listed Denon, Harman/kardon, Marantz, Onkyo, and Pioneer twice and NAD and Rotel as both on your list and off your list? This is confusing.

G-Man
I agree with Hawk--after receiving a response from Axiom they heartily recommended the HK AVR 525 for the cheaper Axiom's and even the 80 towers.

And speaker manufacturers are usually loathe to specify any receivers (they hate making enemies)--so I must think they feel that the HK AVR 525 works very well with their product.

elitefan
I agree with the two above posters. For a bright souding speaker go with H/K, Marantz or Elite. All have the ability to tame bright speaker systems and all make good receivers at all price points.

rbarry
I don't know if my speakers are bright or the receiver was bright. But I replaced a reliable 11 year old Denon with a Marantz SR5300 this weekend(price paid $475 brand new).
Well. Its like I have new speakers. In stereo the music sounds like a sound stage. Its warmer, less of that treble sound. I definitely think much more of my speakers!

So I'd definitely keep Marantz on that list.

Hawk
rbarry:

You have experienced what I have tried to warn people on this forum about: that is, a receiver has a sound and that sound may or may not work well with the speakers they have selected. It is not a question of whether bright sounding speakers are inherently bad--instead, if you have speakers which are a bit on the bright side, you have to account for that in your selection of a receiver, and vice versa. Getting a good balance in the sound of your system is the way to have a system that you can enjoy for years to come.

I am glad you got a good match with your new Marantz--it sounds like you have a winner for your system. The Marantz is a very good choice for speakers which are a bit on the bright side.

Enjoy!

rbarry
Hawk, yes you have been saying to mix & match carefully. Good advice.

I have relavtively modern speakers, Polk RT800i's CS450(center), FX500 (surr) & Polk's twin 10inch woofer. And while the music and dialog was always crystal clear and many times pleasing, the sound wore on me after a couple hours. Doesn't happen now. All in all, I'm convinced that at least for my ears, spending alittle less that $3000 for receiver and speakers can get you a happy mix......finally.

Hawk
rbarry:

I am really glad you got the right match! Enjoy!

Al Holland
Last year I compared Marantz to Integra on Paradigm Monitor 9's and 11's. At low to mid volume they sounded the same but when they were cranked up the Marantz sounded much brighter and even started to show some distortion.

I do not remember exact model #'s but they were in line with the now Marantz 5300.

I then listened to Denon 4802 and Integra 8.2 at another location. I liked the Integra better but let the salesman talk me into taking the Denon. It was typical of other Denons that I have used. Thin and bright. I was fortunate enough to exchange it for the Integra.

This is my experience. You may disagree after you audition the brands available. We each have our preferences.

heff
You might like the Harmon Kardon AVR-630. It is the current model replacing last year's AVR 525. You can find it for $800 USD from an authorized H/K dealer.

check it out! --> http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR%20630&stype=S

Bob Cooper
I'm looking for advice on matching up a good recevier (under $2000). I think I've narrowed down the speakers to Paradigm: monitor 90p fronts, cc-370 center and ams-300 for surround. I was looking at the following: Yamaha rx-v2400, Yamaha rx-v3300, Denon 3803, Denon 4802R. Any one of those a better match with the speakers? Or, anyone have better match up aside from Yamaha or Denon? Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us