Help with new speaker selection, please

Username: Jdt

Glastonbury, CT United States

Post Number: 1
Newbie, non-audiophile here. My home audio system is 23 years old, but functioning pretty well. Tuner/Preamp is Adcom GTP-500. Amp is Adcom GFA-545. CD player is Yamaha CDX-1050. Cassette deck is Denon DRM-540. Turntable is Thorens TD 318. Until recently, speakers ADS L1090.

One of the speakers went on the blink, so I hooked up a set of Optimus Pro LX5s I had still sitting in the box from a few years ago. The rest of the system seems a bit much for these speakers, which lack bass. They're reasonably OK for my untrained ears, but I am wondering if I can approximate the ADS L1090's sound for $300-$400. My musical tastes run to pretty much everything except jazz.

Any advice folks might offer would be most appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 410
What size room? Usually, I recommend wall/stand mountable book shelf speakers and a subwoofer unless you have a very large room that will allow you to move them around to where they sound best. The Mirage Omnisat OS3 is a great little speaker for $250 each. Don't let the price fool you. These have amazing sound quality and you can put them just about anywhere; on a shelf, end table, stand, wall mount (wall mount bracket comes with). Just make sure you turn them upside down if mounting more than 6 feet high. You'll def need a sub with these. The Mirage S8 works well with the OS3s. Best Buy carries them.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1242
jt, stay away from guys that say things like, "Usually, I recommend..." when it comes to audio. You can get that from Walmart.

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
Actually, you should stay away from people who actually know what Wal-Mart employees say. Chances are, they buy their equipment from Wal-Mart! How else would you know what wm employees say? I have sound advice to offer and many satisfied customers. I didn't get and keep those customets by giving them bogus advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
What are trying to do here Stryvn? Re-start a war that ended over a month ago? It's over! Get over it and move on! I highly doubt anyone wants to see a bunch of ugliness replayed here. I'm not bipolar and I don't have time for the non-sense. If you really love online wars of words, there are other forums like myspace, facebook, etc. Or you can join the political thread, "Hard (as possible) facts - political". You can find it under the speaker section.

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
...and you accuse me of being bipolar and off meds? Either that's your condition or you're a drunk a druggy or have serious anger issues. Get some help please!

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
JT, sorry you had to witness that. Aside from the omnis, there are numerous book shelf speakers that sound great. If your store, like many has a 30 day return policy, find a pair you like and try em out. Let me know how it goes, ok?

Username: Jdt

Glastonbury, CT United States

Post Number: 2
No offense to anyone, but I was hoping that this forum would be free of the kind of nonsense you guys are engaging in.

superjazzy, I appreciate the response. It would be great if someone else had a constructive suggestion to offer. Just looking for some help from knowledgeable folk.

The room is about 12 x 19. Not much room to move the speakers around to different locations.

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
With a room that small, wall mountable book shelf speakers and a sub will be in order. Again, sorry about what you witnessed, it has to do with something that's long since over and didn't involve stryvn to begin with. I was hoping just to come in and talk audio too. Now, I'm trying to do just that again. Welcome to ecoustics, hope it's pleasant for you.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1878
I'm not sure who would be familiar with the L1090 sound.
I heard Braun Tri-amps a LONG time ago.....over 30 years, so I have no idea what would compare. They were L1020 or LV1020 or close to it.

Just a suggestion.....Go listen to a few systems...not just speakers. You may want to hit some of the 'big brands' of current speaker selection. KEF? Paradigm? NHT? PSB? and a dozen more.

If you give the members here some more to go on, more help will probably be forthcoming.

Your Adcom gear is getting a little ...long in the tooth. Any chance of a pretty systemic upgrade? Source, integrated and speakers purchased together would maximize potential happy result. You know, once the speaker failed, I'm afraid other stuff can't be far behind.

Check the thread here on 'speaker bargains' and try to listen to some. You may find a house sound you like better....or compares well to what you already know you like.

Back East in CT, I'm sure you must have access to many choice stores for your listening pleasure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
We understand you're new to the forum, but help us help you.

Bronze Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 100
It's that easy, the hard part of the installation is removing the door panel. Actually, it was pretty easy to take the door panels off when I helped a friend put speakers in their Ranger.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15627

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

Silver Member

Post Number: 700
Nencey, we're talking about a home system, not a car system. Removing door panels is not part of the equation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us