Rotel RA 414

Username: Lawr1

Post Number: 1
Hi there
Looking for parts for my Rotel
Sanken S-40W power amp
Need to replace them....
Anyone have any or know where to get this?
Need to fix my great amp, have had it forever!

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 395
If this amp is over 20 yrs old or maybe even 15, getting parts for it and the price you could pay might just not be worth all of the trouble. I'd encourage you to try, but at the same time start shopping around for a new amp. It's hard to let go of things that serve us well, but some times, we gotta.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15589

What are you looking for? Some parts, such as pots, caps and resistors are quite generic and can easily be found for most amplifiers produced over the last fifty years. Other parts, such as transistors or ic's might have equivalents which will require you do some cross checking of numbers. Some parts are specific to a manufaturer and once the manufacturer has stopped supporting a product the only way to acquire parts would be to salvage another junker unit. Parts for popular vintage components such as tubed McIntosh, Marantz, Dynaco, etc. are available through specialty shops which do their main business in repair and restoration work. Depending on the issues you wish to resolve you might find yourself going through several resources to complete the job. On occasion a particular part might be temporarily out of stock and not available until a sufficient number of requests have been submitted to make it worth while pulling a limited run of thermistors or such. And, on occassion, a suitable part simply is no longer available. As with any vintage component you need to balance the cost of repairing a problematic component which might just be signalling the beginning of other problems ocurring down the road. Eventually things do wear out and, yes, you can keep them going but, at what point does it become the less wise alternative to just replacing the product?

Are you going to do the repairs yourself? Most shops will not work on any component more than a few years out of warranty since they prefer not to be tied down to a component which might have multiple issues which would cause numerous returns to the shop. It's not at all uncommon for a shop to repair a power supply only to have a coupling cap go out a week later and they need to absorb the bench time for an unrelated repair.

Post Number: 3
HI Jan
I have a shop that specializes in these repairs.............
The part I need is an IC 602 and/or IC603
It's listed as a s-40 W power amp
they look like two little boxes that attach to the amp
i have attached the schematic

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15595

Why don't you try this request over at AudioKarma? http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

You stand a better chance over there. The vintage forum has a few members who do repairs and they might have a source for you. If you run across Kegger, tell him I sent you.

If AudioKarma can't help, head to diyAudio.com; http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/

I do tubes for the most part and wouldn't have a good lead for ic's.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1876
Custom ic's may be a problem, but discrete is alive and well.
ICs in the form of OPAMPS and logic should be available well into the next century. Many of these are 'commodity' devices and are made by many aftermarket guys.
I just used a generic OPA2134 in a headphone amp.

Just Google 'transistor cross reference' and you will find many sites.

NTE semiconductors has a HUGE catalogue / cross reference of transistors, diodes, SCRs, Triacs and all the rest.

NTE is not a hi-fi brand, like say....Vishay, which may also source some useful devices, not to mention their thin film resistors.
International Rectifier has FREDs and HexFets not to mention IGBT devices. Some IR stuff is used OEM by say.......Sunfire.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1877
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/datasheets-manuals-parts/42162-sanken-s-40w-s -60w-datasheet-found.html

datasheet ref for the transistor in question.

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 430
If you go to all the trouble, I hope it yields lasting results.

Post Number: 4
Hi All
And thanks for all your input

Can anyone help me find this, there is a reward!
I am not tech savvy, so wouldn't know what part to get to sub in
It is a Sanken part , listed in the manual as IC 601 or IC 602
they are little parts that attach to amp itself
The part number is 303452169 and listed as s-40w power amp
I can send anyone the manual with schematic and part listing
I have a pdf
Thanks
lawrence
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help