Totoem Sttaf sitting on Vibrapods

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 257
Thought I would share my results. I tried to put this in the thread I started Dec 2008, but couldn't so here it finally is. In that thread I talked about trying the Vibrapods under my Sttaf's after having great success with them under my CDP. So off came the spikes and down went 4 model 2's under each speaker. Model 2's support 4-8 pounds individually and the Sttaf's are 27.8 pounds with the sand. The results; initially I heard greater low frequency response but it also seemed a little loose as well. Everything else was about the same, nothing too great so far. I let them settle over night and gave them another listen in the morning. Low frequency had definitely improved but now it was solid. I like. Even at lower volumes bass is more noticeable and tighter. The other improvement is detail and smoothness, especially at high volumes. Before I would lose some detail at higher volumes, now it's at lot more tame up there. So for $50 I am very impressed with the results.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4384
Sounds cool Steve. I'm just using the stock plinth and spikes and I'm happy with this. I love my Sttafs.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4385
What kind of sand did you use to mass load them? I've been meaning to do this.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1761
I have no idea how expensive 'pods are, but I just made a trip to Rockler for some 'Bench Cookies'.
They are soft sided disks used in woodworking to hold material from sliding. I was just thinking someone should try these between speakers and stands or even under some equipment......
They are very inexpensive at 10$ set of 4.
A variation model exists with 5/16-18 threaded inserts on 1 side which would be fine for spikes.

http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=bench+cookies&ne_ppc_id=776&ne_ key_id=4824199&pcrid=4995743400&gclid=CPzr0orx_aQCFQI_gwod3gTSiw

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 259
David, I used silica sand. No moisture and very fine. I think I used about 6-7 lbs in each.

Leo, I paid about $6 CAD for each, they are very inexpensive. If you haven't tried them under you cdp you really should.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4388
Cool, thanks Steve.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us