Stereo Dave

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 57
I am considering sending my 445 to Stereo Dave to do modifications. Has anyone send anything to them? Is the difference in sound quality worth 350? Thanks

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 58
http://www.stereodaves.com/modifications.php

here is the link

and a review of his work

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_2/hk-3480-receiver-daves-5-2007-part-1. html

Thanks again

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15491
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.
The HK is a very good unit as was, and this is a Capt. Beefheart upgrade, to be sure.

But at what cost?

Do you want better ht or stereo?
What do you want to improve upon?

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 59
At this point, I use the device, as both a stereo system for music and as a surround processer/amp. Over all 85 percent of the listening is in stereo, with that being said, 350 could get me a new Cambridge 350 or NAD 325bee or something used dedicated to two channels, and I would still have the receiever for movies. For music, does it make more sense to move away from the reciever and put these funds into a good stereo based system. Eventually this is my goal, to have a dedicated stereo system, however on the college budget, I am looking for the best bang for buck with the greatest amount of applications. Would something like an NAD or Cambridge provide a good base, as my sources are not the best (sony 5 disc changer and Apple Lossless with no DAC). Also what does beffheart upgrade mean?

Thanks for the advice and information.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 60
To answer the second part, what do I want to improve on, the highes could be more transparent and the lows could be stronger, granted the Boston Acoutics CR75 could be part of the issue as well. I would also like to improve the overall sound stage, makeing it larger and more encompassing. In terms of warmth/brightness, the sound is just about right. I went to my dealer and listened to Mac and B&W and that was very warm but the Thiel and Arcam was very bright. And the Totem Staff and Arcam was slightly to warm and laid back for me. I like to be able to sit back and listen but I also want the music to have energy and be exciting and explosive where needed.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4371
The 445 is an AVR (audio video receiver), correct?

My advice would be to keep the 445 for TV or movie duty, and since your interest seems to be good quality 2 channel listening, pick up a half decent integrated amp. I'm a big Cambridge Audio fan, so between the NAD and CA, I'd take the CA. You could also look at Rotel intergrateds. I have a Rotel that I picked up used for 200 bucks and I love it.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15476

On a college budget my advice would be to sit pat and save your dough. Listening to Mac and B&W puts you on a well worn path toward goals to achieve. Buying now or upgarding now places you on an even more worn out path towards tossing money at something for instant gratification.

IMO it's not worth upgrading an AVR. By the time you get it back from the guy it will be outdated in terms of features, connections and processing power. The person who might buy it won't give you back the money you put into the mods. Net sum = loss.

As a college student where would you put both a HT system and a separate music system? If you can afford a dorm room or enough apartment space to justify this, then $350 probably doesn't matter to you and you can ignore my advice. Load it all into your Saab and enjoy!

Otherwise, save your cash and go visit the Mac system every now and again to have a better idea of what a very good audio system can reproduce. There are worse things a dealer wants to see on a slow weekday afternoon than a potential client down the road. (Don't waste a dealer's time on the weekends when you and the dealer both have more free time to talk and listen during the week.) Go listen to a lot of live music, as a college student you should have abundant opportunites you'll loose once you are out in the real world of capitalism and pay for what you get arts. Know the sound of music and musicians, take a class in music appreciation to get a better grasp on what you're hearing beyond a collection of electronic boxes. It's the music that counts and not the collecting of material goods. Even if your major doesn't look like you'll ever own new McIntosh, do all this and you'll still have a very nice music system one day.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 61
Thanks Jan. I believe you are correct, in that tossing money at something and hoping it sticks to fill a space or a need is not usually a good outcome. The Mac was very nice (MA 6300), strong and fluient. In combination with the B&W's (believe the 683 or 684) sounded a bit warm and dull, too laid back. Could this of been condition in which the amp was too much for the speaker as I feel it would not be on the Mac parts, as all I have heard is that Mac handles anything quite well. Secondly, I am graduating in December with a major(business) that will hopefully allow me to buy the gear I want some day. During the four years I have had the opportunity to work concerts, running the sound board etc, so I know what I like, which makes me picky (both good and bad). But since I am leaving I will no longer have access to the sound equip and will need to re resort to my orginal hobby home audio rather than live sound which has been a pleasure doing.

Thanks again for the advice. I will continue to go to my dealers and just listen. I had never thougth to go a weekday however. Thanks.

Chris
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us