Seeking advice on replaced used digital receiver

Username: Askay

Berkeley, CA USA

Post Number: 1
At our getaway cabin in the mountains we have a decent, if dated, sound system using a Harmon Kardon 590i receiver and Advent speakers. It suits our needs for occasional use, but now one channel on the HK's power amp has gone out, and it's beyond my ability to troubleshoot and repair. I suspect I can replace the HK for less than it'd cost to have it repaired, but I'd welcome input/opinions on that. If I opt for replacing it with another used/vintage/low cost receiver, which one? Power requirements are moderate, but given the marginal nature of the location, a digital FM tuner is a requirement. Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15236

HK products make a fairly synergistic match with Advents. Many lesser lines will not. When you inquire here regarding what to buy second hand there is virtually no way to direct you when you consider the thousands of options which might be available to you at any one moment and be gone the next. If you find this receiver to be adequate for your needs, then you might ask a repair shop for an estimate of cost. Otherwise, listen to a few new products and consider what you will be getting in exchange. Your antenna is far more important than the difference between a "digital" (which often means nothing more than a digital readout on the display) and an analogue tuner.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15413
i would look pretty heavily into satellite tuners.
If there is reception available without scaling a ridge, then the service should provide ok.
If you do not have a satellite ISP link (why would you?) then satellite will allow you to go to a more performance oriented integrated amp, perhaps a HK, perhaps not, and open up sommore listening pleasure with the Advents.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4009
Also consider internet radio if you have internet access.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1613
What source do you use most? CD? Vinyl?
FM at all? AM?
Mountains implies NO FM, which means you don't need a receiver. Unless you're at the top, with a good view out....
A table AM radio may be a good replacement if you listen to AM? When I go to the mountains I ALWAYS bring my hi-end Sony ICF2010, all band.
For CD / Vinyl, many decent integrated are out there. The Advents may be getting a little long in the tooth, but if in good shape....keep 'em.

One approach....Set a dollar limit to fix the HK. Find out how much a replacement would go for. HK makes a reasonable NEW stereo receiver which should just plug right in......The one I link, just chosen at random has a retail of 500$ and is available for far less.
If the cost to fix your current rig exceeds what you think its worth, go new.....or good used.

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoreceiverreviews/fr/HK3490.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15237

http://www.harmanaudio.com/?utm_source=HK&utm_medium=w2b&utm_campaign=HA

Berkeley, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks, all. Music source used to be tape cassettes and then CDs, now is CDs and my iPod through a third-party dock, plus the occasional movie. Much of the time, though, the FM tuner is on, tuned to the one area NPR station we can get via a powered antenna at that location, which is at 4,200 feet in the lower Cascades. Money is a serious issue here and we use the place only occasionally and shut it down for the winter, so satellite isn't an option. We're trying to get internet access by piggybacking on a neighbor's wifi, but that isn't nailed yet; given our usage patterns, it doesn't make sense to have our own broadband feed there.

One of my goals in asking the question at the top was to see if I could avoid having to disconnect the receiver and haul it back to civilization and then take it to one of the dwindling number of shops that will work on old stereo equipment by simply picking up a reasonable used replacement receiver. It appears to me that pretty much anything new will be overkill, and will also be $$$, which rules it out as an option for this use.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1616
You CAN share broadband with an agreeable friend or neighbor.

Locate the other persons wireless router as high as possible, and preferable on the side of the house closest to yours. I window spot would be REAL cool.

Something like THIS may work... and can be DIY'd out of something like a Pringles can.
http://www.cantenna.com/

In a more extreme case, and with a yet MORE cooperative neighbor, you can put a small dish antenna behind the router and facing YOU again. This will increase transmitter gain in your direction at the expense of the side in back of the dish.
I suspect the Cantenna AND reflector dish together will be good for a quarter mile.

For the CHEAPEST receiver...and I sympathize seeing as it gets minimal and seasonal only use.....How 'bout this? I have NO idea how good it is, how it sounds or if it will work well with your Advents. BUT, the price is right!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4105-2-Channel-100-Watt-Receiver/dp/B0002EPWC0

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 946
I am listening to old Sansui 5050db and loving it.
You can get it on ebay for less than $70 incouding shipping, and sounds better than modern ones at 10 times the cost.

There are more powerful ones like 6060,7070,8080, and 9090, for more money if you need more than 45 watts of 5050.

It will be better than your HK.

Enjoy...

Berkeley, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks, James; I'll check 'em out. Hope the heat didn't get you down!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4022
I hate to say it, but with vintage gear is really a craps-shoot. No way to really determine what will go wrong and when.

I'd take a look at Harman Kardon's eBay store for a receiver. They've got full warranties too. Accessories4less.com sells refurbished Marantz and Onkyo stuff for some great prices too. I haven't bought from them, but I think a few here have and had a good experience with them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us