SVSound NSD series

Username: Uncanny1

Post Number: 1
Hi folks. This is my very first post on this audio site (or any for that matter).
- Building a simple system from scratch and have identified either the PB12 or PB10 as frontrunner sub
- I've seen various advice on ported vs sealed subs, and still am not sure which route to take
- My primary concern is music (not ht) and I listen to mostly hip-hop, r&b, trance, reggaeton
- I wouldn't say my ears are finely tuned, but I would demand clean bass at loud levels

Shall I just scoop the PB12 (being a ported)? If you believe I would be better suited with a sealed unit, what two frontrunners should I consider? (equal to or less than $750 CDN).

Thanks very much!

Post Number: 9
Was this a foolish question? Answers available somewhere on here I guess...

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1435
Most folks here would suggest a listening test.....prefer in-house.
Is that possible?
Do you have any places to do some retail searching?
Would you consider pre-owned? Maybe some deals there?
Does your preamp have any bass management features? Extra pre-outs? Would you prefer speaker level to the sub?
How large is your room? In CUBIC feet.

The SVS series is good stuff.
HSU is a contender, as well, but there sealed stuff is above your budget.

If online, take advantage of the (usually) pretty good return policy if you must.

Post Number: 10
Hi Leo. Thanks for that.
- I would only buy used if it was from someone I knew well.
- Amp has not been decided on, (I've got another thread going in the Amp section, trying to figure that out), but it looks like I'll end up with an integrated amplifier).
- Haven't measured the room yet

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1436
Bread'a almost done so I don't have much time.
Measure the room.
Look at amps, as you've been doing.
Something like the Emotiva USP-1 has HT-style bass management and it's not that much $$.
http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

Than you're in it for an amp........it never ends.

RIght off the top, I don't know of an integrated 2-ch w/bass management, though my PSAudio has an extra set of pre-outs.

Measure your room. Go to the HSU site and look at there room size ratings....1->4 (size).
For real regular shaped rooms, you may be better off with a pair of lesser subs rather than one mondo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I would estimate that the room is certainly no larger than 3,000 cubic feet - but if I want to hear it throughout most of the basement I would imagine a hefty 12" would be just fine.

And, I did take a look at the HSU's and I'm confident they're quality (based on numerous reviews I've read).

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1444
Look at what HSU recommends for a 3k ft3 room.
Shape than becomes important. Worst shape might be a Cube.
If you have even dimensions, like 20x20x8, than you've almost automatically got problems.

Google:
Room mode calculator and see.

Bass below 300hz is sometimes difficult to 'even out'. Just buying the biggest / baddest sub won't fix a bad room. The really hard core use room treatments and bass traps in corners.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us