If you had $1000 to spend on speakers what would you buy?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 402
want some new floorstanding speakers, i want some good bass, not worried if one speaker drops down to 30 hz and another drops down to 23 hz. thats not what im worried about, mostly down to 50-60 hz or so and im sure most floorstanders will do that. so thats not the issue. i want accurate sounding bass, especially with kick drums.
not after perfect sound quality, like say a speaker that makes it seem like you are in the room with an orchestra playing, or jazz band. thats not the music i listen to.
the critical part i would be worried about is making classic rock and new rock sound good.

have a few speakers im thinking about. maybe klipsch rf-82s. i really like the klipsch sound.
maybe axiom m80ti? heard nothing but good things about those.
a little more but maybe polk lsi 15?
of course sound is subjective to your ear, but what are some good sounding floorstanders in that price range?
dls, dynaudio??
what would you guys get?
just want to start a small discussion thats all
just for a 2 channel music set up. meant for 100% music only
i like dls and dynaudio but it seems someone has something negative to say about each and every company, how they dont use their own drivers, copy some other companies design... ect ect ect
what does that matter if it sounds good right?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15272
for around 700 used, I like the MA RS6 as a full sounding speaker, with reasonable 90 db sensitivity and fairly easy to drive.
You cant pick speakers without spec'ing an amp, and these can be played fairly well with a good receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3256
If you like Klipsch, why not go with them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 403
thats what im thinking but i have never seen so many good reviews about a speaker like i have with the m80ti and was also wondering about those

i also like dls for car audio and im sure their home audio is even more amazing so i was also wondering about them too.
its just there are no dealers around and listening to many sets of speakers unfortunately is not possible.
but i feel i have some good choices to choose from and i feel whatever i pick i should be very happy with.
im not looking for a critical speaker like i said to make an orchestra sound like its in my living room, but with the music i do listen to, i just want it to sound good. thats all

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4124
Klipsch (I know from experience) and Axiom (anecdotal) are very dependant on what you drive them with. The wrong kind of amp and they are brutally harsh.

Sub 1k budget, I gotta agree with Nuck; the MA RS6 are a good bet.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 728
Agreed about the RS6. I had the RS5 and didn't like the treble performance, but if you do then it's great for rock. The RX6 (the replacement for the RS6) is somewhere close to $1,000 and has smoother highs. I'm not sure how many RS6 speakers are still out there, as they were replaced with the RX series about a year ago.

I'd also check out the Tannoy Mercury V4, I think that particular line does an excellent job with rock music. The old model (the F4) is probably still out there and perhaps at discounted prices. Not as nicely finished as the Monitor Audio which uses a real wood veneer, but frankly my old Tannoys were probably more satisfying a speaker than any I've yet owned.

Keep in mind that we can all tell you what we like but until you listen for yourself you won't know whether you actually agree.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3257
Consider the KEF IQ 90 for $999

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/KEFIQ90WA/KEF/Iq90-Three-Way-6 -Floorstanding-Speakers-Pair-Walnut/1.html

http://www.kef.com/gb/loudspeakers/Q-Series/IQ90

Also...http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/editors-choice-best-floor-standing-speakers- under-1000/

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
too many choices, so it seems nobody really likes klipsch, but i read alot about how people say they sound bright, but too me the highs sound good, could be better, but the thing that really impresses me about klipsch is their midranges. the mids sounded so good when i heard a pair and it sounded like with a good amount of power the bass could rock a house pretty good.
the reciever would be a harmon kardon hk3490. it seems to have a very smooth sound, but im afraid it might not be high enough quality to power such expensive speakers.
it seems to me, that you need about the same amount for speakers as you do amplification.
1000 in speakers needs 1000 in amps. or close to that. and my reciever is only like a 449 retail or something like that.
i also listen to hip hop and r&b but all that really needs to sound good to me is great sound mids and decent highs. i figure any floorstander will provide plenty of bass, and i have a subwoofer but i may change subwoofer set up.
my subwoofer stage is way over the top but its what i want to throw parties and stuff.
i have an 18" subwoofer in a 8 cu ft box tuned to 33 hz and im going to throw 1500 watts to it. but it does sound absolutely amazing i must say for being such a large driver. it is a straight sound quality subwoofer, high bl, low fs, and huge xmax. i get great response down to 14 hz before i really roll off, but that doesnt matter since this is for music only and not home theater. i may raise my tuning a little to get a flatter response up to 60 hz or so to match what speakers i get. thats all in the future of exact numbers i will use.
my room is 8 ft high, 16 ft wide, and 15.5 ft in length. but does have openings to other parts of the house
i know whatever i decide to go with, will easily fill my room with sound, and could easily get too loud if i crank the volume, but thats the whole idea
160 db car systems do not bother me, so a loud home stereo does not concern me with being too much

im sure some people may read this and completely disagree with what i want to do for a home stereo, but im a kid and thats just what i want

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 729
I personally have nothing against Klipsch. One day I'd love to hear a Klipsch Cornwall or Heresy. The only Klipsch I've heard thus far is my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 computer speakers and I think they are great in that role. They don't sound bright to me, but of course this isn't the same thing as what you are considering. I know many find Klipsch bright, and I'm sure they are, but if matched with a warmer sounding amp (something H/K is known for) and if you have a well damped room, and of course if you like the sound, then they will be fine.

I wouldn't pay attention to cost when determining if something will work with something else. Klipsch are known as being easy to drive and don't require much power to get up to high volume. The ones you are looking at have a 98dB sensitivity, which means they will go plenty loud. Virtually any amp will be able to do the job and the H/K is better than just any amp.

It's always good to listen to different things before you buy, but that can also confuse matters if you're already impressed with a particular model. Sometimes it's better not to over-think things.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 180
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 monitors have good bass down to 40Hz,

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4133
I own those. Pretty darned good bookshelves. Sound much bigger than they are.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3259
The man did say floorstanders.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4134
Good point CM. But he did also seem more interested in good sound quality, and accurate reproduction of sound in the 50-60 hz range. The Sierra's will do that.

But since we're actually talking floorstanders. I'd recommend used Totem Sttafs for just a bit over 1k.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3132
Used Staffs for 950 on CAM. boom! I might actually pick a pair up.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4136
Bryston and Totem are a good mix Nick....

Do it.

BOING!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1448
600$ for some MMGs. 30 day money back from Magnepan.
Go well with Bryston, too.
IF you've got the space.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3261
Act fast... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D390223938656&ssPageName=A DME:B:SS:US:1123

Gold Member

Post Number: 3136
lol I might David. Gotta sell the MA's first. Heard Totem and Bryston Monday night waiting for my 50 foot HDMI cables. All I have to say is BOING! So I have been pondering selling the MA's and picking up the Staff's or Model 1's but worried about power. Probably stick with the staff's. What do u think I can get for the MA's?

Chris - I went to the link and got nothing, what models did you post? Just curious.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 734
The Sttaf is on my list too - but don't worry, I'm not buying anything yet. Still lookin' at all my options.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4145
Nick, with the new RX line out, the prices for used RS6's have dropped quit a bit. Especially with dealers trying to unload old stock at low prices. If I were to sell mine I'd be extremely happy to get 800 for them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3137
Thats what I was thinking David. I am thinking 650-750 for a quick sale of them. They are MINT! with original boxes and all packaging. Even have original receipt. I wonder how the new RX6's would fair against the Totem Staff's. Maybe they closed the gap a bit.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4146
Totally different sound Nick, at least the Sttafs compared to the RS6. Apples and oranges man.

Surprisingly the Sttafs put out just as much bass in my room as the RS6.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3138
Sweet. I think giving the characteristics of MA and Totem, that for me, the Totems would be an even better match with the Bryston gear. By the end of this summer I will own Totem. Guaranteed.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4147
I've thought about upgrading my Totems to Forests in the past, but I really do love my Sttafs.

Your 3B would easily drive Hawks of Forests, but to me, the sweet spot in the whole Totem line are the Sttafs. Oh yeah, and they Mani-2's as well, but they require insane amounts of good power.

One day I spent at least an hour and half auditioning the entire line of Totems at my dealer's place on Mac gear - the 500 watt mono blocks no less. The speaker that sounded the best were the Mani's, hands down. They even sounded better than the top of the line Winds.

But dollar-wise, the Sttafs were my favourite. Maybe just cause I'm so used to them now.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 735
I found the RX2 treble much more restrained than my old RS5. Others report similar results. I kind of wish MA made an RX5.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4149
The treble with the RS line was what made it very fussy with amps. My RS6's absolutely sang with my 10 watt SET amp. I'd be really interested in hearing the RX line.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 736
Yeah, I think I had a bit of a bad match with my Exposure amp. I think my old YBA may have worked out better, at least in taming some of those highs. Whether other aspects of the sound would have improved or not I don't know. Other than the highs I really liked the sound.

David, do you mass load your Totems? I see that that's an option.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4150
Haven't tried that yet Dan. It's on my list of things to try. I actually think it would make a difference.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15283
Beaks.

Username: Multiham

Post Number: 2
Just listened to Totem Rainmakers with Bryston and was really impressed. Listened to some Queen and GNR and was impressed

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4203
I've heard that combo many times. Very nice.

What Bryston gear was it?

Username: Multiham

Post Number: 3
It was the 3bSST. Not sure what model the pre was.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Aurora, Colorado United States

Post Number: 2244
I've still got my beaks and.lol

Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 7
My suggestion, get a pair of acoustic suspension floor speakers and one or 2 bass reflex subwoofers. This combo works well with ALL types of music. I once had a pair of Yamaha NS-A642s that I used with a sub. Great sound!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2248
I would say a pair of used Totem Arro's,Ohm Walsh Micro Tall's,or av123 X-static or new Gini Ls3/5a + Basstands, DCM TFE 200,Swan Diva 4.2,or Wharfedale Evo2 20's.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 716
Hawthorne in Seattle has a pair of used Arros which I asked about and they told me I would rather have Rega RS5.
Unfortunately I did not have time to audition them. The Arros are not hooked up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2255
Kevin depends on what you listen for,the RS5 is a very capable speaker and a very good buy,but its not capable of magic,the Arro is their only a handful of speakers that can deliver that aspect at any price,sure plenty can do the technical things,its the emotional things that give you goosebumbs that the Arro's do like few other speakers can.Are the Arro's perfect? no but what speaker is,the important thing is they touch the soul,besides isnt that what music is about anyway?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 718
Darn, I should have taken the time and had them hook them up for a listen. I don't know why they didn't try to sell them to me. They are selling for at least $300 + less than the Rega making it more likely for me to splurge.

I would put my new floor standers on the main system Rega Mira3 and move the little Quad11L to the bedroom. (The room for which I am thinking about smaller speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2258
You will love the Arro's and they will work well with Mira,they are very revealing,but they still always show the good in gear even if they do show their flaws they make music,eventually the'll make you want tubes and then another level of involvement will happen for you.They are trully special with a tone and a soundstage to die for and the bass will suprise you as well they are a living legend.Vince Bruzze actually built them for Diana Krall,and he was shocked at how good they were,and bam! there they went into production.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 720
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1291932322&/Totem-Arros-gorgeous -cherry

http://www.hawthornestereo.com/used/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2262
Get em! damn i miss mine.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 721
The Arro is not much more than the Rainmaker on the used market. Shipping would be for me though. They are lighter than the Rega though.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1680
Pre owned OK? Some Magnepan MG1.6s.....Available from people attempting the 'lateral upgrade' to 1.7s OR going upline to the 3.6s
Need a proper space and good supporting cast, but very capable. I'd consider them a good deal in the sub 1k$ class.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us