Turntable malfunction

Username: Honset

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony PS-LX250H, which I have been using since I bought it new around 10 years ago. Still works great, except I am having one new problem lately.

Sometimes when I press the START button the arm moves over the record, drops down for one second, and then picks itself back up, returning to home. Other times it works just fine and plays the whole record. After about three or four tries, I can usually get it working fine.

The same thing happens, at about the same frequency, if I manually move the arm over the record, bypassing the START button.

I have taken it apart and put it back together, to make sure the belt is on properly, and the same problem continues.

I realize that at 10 years old, it is likely the belt that is causing my headache, but it seems in good shape, with good tension, not worn, etc.

So, does anyone know why my turntable doesn't want to let me play my records? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it in fact the belt? And, what I want to know is, WHY? If the belt has good tension, and doesn't look worn in any way, how is it malfunctioning? I realize it is only a $10-15 part, but if I get a new one and this is still going to happen, then I will just invest the $10-15 in a new turntable.

Thanks for you help.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15031

It's not the belt. The auto functions in your table have been scrambled. If you moved the table recently, this is typical of auto function tables.

With the table unplugged from the AC outlet and the stylus guard on your cartridge (if you've lost the stylus guard, use a piece of masking tape loosely attached to the cartridge front so as not to contact the stylus tip or remove the stylus assembly if you feel comfortable doing so), push the "start" button and give the platter a brisk spin by hand in a clockwise direction. The arm should move over and try to set down on the empty platter. Hold the arm up as it reaches the edge of the platter and let the arm move freely but not touching the empty platter. Do the same with the "stop" button and allow the arm to return to its rest. You might have to do this a few times to re-engage the auto functions of your table. If this doesn't solve the problem, then the table needs to be serviced by a qualified technician.

Username: Mobiper

Westchester, CA USA

Post Number: 1
You have raised a nice topic for discussion and its high time to know how may of us are aware about it. It's so helpful for students.

Cheap Luxury Phone
http://www.mobiper.com/

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15205

What'd ya do? Use my answer as a way to get a hit on your webpage? That's pretty lowdown.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15378
Why, I oughtta....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts