I just bought a new toy hehehe (and not the SF type) :-)

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1478
I know that some of you will be thinking "jeez that's like going from Cd's to 8-tracks" but it is a route that I would like to try. My listening habits have changed, and I thought this would be fun.

let me just say as a hint that JV would be proud. This is something that I have not just thought "oh ok lets do it" but have thought about even before I bought my current speakers, when I was listening to my maggies.

My kefs are not going to go anywhere for the time being... but I will be the first to report (knowing the kef uni-q driver sound very well) if my new speakers make them blush.

My simple reason is that if it is done properly I can expect a smoother, more integrated and realistic sound.... and THAT is what it is all about :-)

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1479
I am not sure when they will be delivered yet.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 669
Some big @ss Klipsch or Tannoy's from back in the day? That's my guess. I don't know what JV likes, other than recalling that he prefers speakers that are easy to drive. Ah, perhaps a single driver speaker? I'm probably wrong with these guesses. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to reading about your experience.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1480
No to the horns and tannoys...

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3066
Rogers speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3971
Are you gonna keep us guessing Gav?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1481
SDFR

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 935
Gonna share the brand ? Ed's Horns ? Brines ? Omega ? Tekton ? Decware ? DIY design maybe ?

And it ain't goin' backwards at all Gavin....unless of course you end up not liking 'em.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1482
Tekton :-) I bought the 4.5

I have been on the phone with Eric this week. With my taste in music, we feel that the 4.5 will be a great choice for both me and my room.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1483
I know that some of these posts are cryptic... one of the joys of posting on a PDA

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14917

"let me just say as a hint that JV would be proud."

I'm thinking you might have rescued a stray dog from certain death at the pound.

"SDFR"

Oh, well! that's good too. Always good to see another listener giving something other than same old, same old a try and I suspect your amp will be happier now. Let us know what you think ...

... and do consider saving that pup.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 936
Are you going to use them with a subwoofer Gavin ?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3973
Cool stuff Gavin. I've read good stuff about the Tektons. I've read some other not good stuff about other SDFR speakers (I won't mention the name). To paraphrase, the reviewer said, for strengths: "it makes sound", and for weaknesses: "it makes sound". lol.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1484
I read that review too... I can't remember which one it was off the top of my head.

And NO SUB to start with. I want to hear what the range and speed is if I need to mate it with a sub. But from what I have read, I think the bass response will be fine for me as is.

I would rather have a smooth 50hz than a muddy 40hz.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12786
I've been considering a pair of the 4.5's for my home office. Do tell and post pics when you get 'em.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3974
I'm all about the mid-range lately myself Gavin, so I get what you're saying about the low frequencies.

The review was a shootout from StereoMojo:

http://www.stereomojo.com/Small%20Speaker%20Shootout%202007/SmallSpeakerShootout Part2.htm

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 937
"I would rather have a smooth 50hz than a muddy 40hz."

Me too, but it doesn't have to be a muddy 40hz. Even a relatively inexpensive sub can fill in the bottom end nicely. Just get it oriented correctly and keep it turned down. But I agree with trying without first, so you know what you've got. Break-in can be a b!tch with SDFR's, so have patience.

I hope you really enjoy them.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15068
Roll the Johnny Cash in 3..2...1...

Enjoy the full rangers, Gav.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1488
They shipped today! I should have them in about a week.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12829
Looking forward to your impressions, Gavin. I've been spying those for quite sometime.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1489
I will certainly post my impressions. I have had no experience with a quality SDFR.

What is funny to me about this whole thing is that 8 years ago I bought a pair of Bose 141 SDFR just for giggles to see what they were all about. They were like $50 a pair at that time.

FWIW...they have been the only speakers that I have heard from Bose that have had a decent overall sound, and a great overall price / performance ratio. They were made well too.

I totally forgot I had the 141 until now! They are doing garage duty for my cousin right now.

So I guess that I have to take back my post that I have never used a SDFR...

Well... a quality one at least!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15083
SDFR speakers can be soooo much fun!
The ling's are a fun speaker, with lots of perk across the mids, just like they should.

Where did we stand on the Tekton's?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1491
They just shipped nuck... I should have them in about a week.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1496
I have 'em on my rig
I will let everybody know what I think in the near future.

Think it is going to be good...

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 946
Burn-in's a b!tch, so don't be freaked out if they don't sound particularly good for a while. Crank 'em up and leave the room for a couple of weeks if necessary.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1497
actually chris they sounded really good right out of the box, and are only getting better. The bass is fleshing out more and the highs are smoothing and extending.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 947
If they sound good out of the box that's great. Better things to come!

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1499
All I am going to say is that I have had these playing for 3 solid days.

They are not going back.

I am going to give it some more time before I post my comments (want to make sure they have a decent run in), but these are stupid good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us