Odd question

Username: Nick8124

Post Number: 3
I have a two channel amp. Home amplifier. I am wanting to make a mock center channel. I have one 8 ohm speaker hooked up to each channel. I want to hook up a "center" I have lying around. Also 8 ohms. I will hook the neg to the left channel and the pos to the right channel. What will be the resulting load on the amplifier per channel?once upon a time I had a multi meter..... An equation would be awesome!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14816

There's no direct answer to your question. You're in essence building a direct short between the channels and hoping the capacitance of the speaker's crossover keeps the amplifier from blowing up. That's unlikely given the reactance of the resulting network. The "resulting load" on your amplifier could be anywhere from an equation dictated by Ohm's Law - assuming, that is, you know the entire impedance of all the speakers at all frequencies and not just their stated "nominal" load - to a simple dead short. If the latter, the "resulting load" will be meaningless to a non-functional amplifier.

Try this set up instead; http://kantack.com/surround/surround2.html Scroll down to "Diagram #2".

Balancing levels for all three channels might be difficult without a dedicated center channel output. An L-pad run to the center speaker's positive input will be able to lower the overall level of that speaker but cannot compensate for a center speaker lower in sensitivity than the two front speakers.

It's best to check with your amplifier's manufacturer before trying any such connections. A dual mono amplifier - not many of those around today but they do still exist - would not tolerate any phantom center channel connections without disastrous consequences. The same is true for any amplifier using ic outputs. Call the manufacturer before proceeding.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1100
I did diagram #1 a long time ago. I used 2 amplifiers, though, and used the 2nd amps vol control as the F/R balance control.

before I hooked anything up and applied power, I made SURE the amp being used for the back channel used chassis ground for both channels negative lead.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us