Opinions on these amps?

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 91
I'm looking at adding a Tube Preamplifier or Integrated amplifier to my setup for 2 channel listening. My setup is currently a Bryston BCD-1 cd player, Bryston SP2 pre/processor, Sherbourn 5250a SS power amp, and Anthony Gallo 3.1's speakers. I was looking for some opinions or experience with the following tube Preamplifiers/Integrated amplifiers: Rogue Perseus, Odyssey Candela, Primaluna ProLogue 1, Jolida JD 3000B, and Manley Jumbo Shrimp. Any opinions or comments on these would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3728
The Manley and possibly the Rogue far outclass the rest from what I'm lead to believe. I don't know about synergy or electrical matching, so take that as you will.

Why the change?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Don't really have to make a change but I'm always looking to better my system. I can get the Manley for a great price but would not be able to demo it. My dealer has never let me down though as he suggested it.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3037
Darren, Both Michael Wodek and I have the Rogue Magnum Ninety Nine. I know it's a bit pricier than the Perseus, but as nice as the Perseus is, the Ninety Nine is considerably better. It's done amazing things for my music - it's never sounded more real. Rogue's service, I'm led to believe is also top notch.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14604

"Don't really have to make a change but I'm always looking to better my system."

Bettering your system is a step by step process best done with goals and objectives in mind. Your experience with live music suggests some aspect of the reproduced music is lacking in some way or to some extent and you believe you can find it in a new synergy within the system.

I think the question is then more about what you are trying to achieve with the change. Do you have any concepts or serious thoughts about what is lacking in your current music reproduction? If so, then what or where are you trying to get to in terms of musical values with a new amplifier? Better timbre? Better pacing and timing? What?

Trying "tube sound" out of pure curiosity or as a BandAid to other system problems is heading into this equally as blind as if you had no other objective than to try new gear and hope you hit on a combination that lights your bulb for awhile. That can get expensive.

Terms such as "better" or more "real" aren't going to get you very far unless you really, really trust your dealer to be a mindreader. Or, your dealer has hit on a new piece of equipment that gets good responses from a majority of listeners and so the assumption is you too will have a positive reaction even if you have no specific goals.

Or, is this just a change for change's sake? No specific objectives, you just want something new.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Jan,
It's not change just for change's sake. I'm looking to improve my system and through reading, the majority of the Gallo 3.1 owners are using a Tube Preamp with a SS amp with great results so I am curious to try this. I trust my dealer as he has never steered me wrong. He suggested a Manley Jumbo Shrimp and I can get this piece for basically at cost.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12346
Darren, has your dealer tried this combo? Can you demo it and return for minimal cost if it doesn't work for you?

BTW, MR is right Rogue service is top shelf, though I'm led to believe that Manley is as well.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14614

"Trying "tube sound" out of pure curiosity or as a BandAid to other system problems is heading into this equally as blind as if you had no other objective than to try new gear and hope you hit on a combination that lights your bulb for awhile. That can get expensive."}

"Jan,
It's not change just for change's sake. I'm looking to improve my system and through reading, the majority of the Gallo 3.1 owners are using a Tube Preamp with a SS amp with great results so I am curious to try this."

Darren, not to belabor the point but willy nilly chages made out of curiosity can become nothing more than something different rather than something better. I suspect your dealer has described the benefits of this change and that apparently is sufficient cause for you to break out your wallet. I would caution you to give more thought to the decision.

You are already telling me you are leaning towards the deal on the Manley but you are asking about other amplifiers. The only way I know to guide you in your decision is for you to have more specific goals for this change than simple curiosity for what everyone else has. You don't share their experiences with music, nor their room, nor their ears and perceptions. What "they" hear is not by neccessity what you will hear. A vast majority of people are driving F-150 pick'em up trucks, is that sufficient reason to buy a F-150 if it doesn't suit your needs? A vast majority of people are eating unhealthy food, does that say you should eat unhealthy food also?

When I was selling audio the initial stages of any discussion leading towards a change in equipment began with what is known as the "qualification" stage. Questions were asked which provided me as a salesperson and as a "certified sales consultant" an insight into the client's desires and whatever disappointments they might have with their present music presentation. These questions involved subjects such as those I mentioned earlier; timing, pacing, timbre, nuance, ambience, in short, what are you trying to achieve with this change?

I don't get the feeling you would have specific answers to these questions, you are just curious. At that point, if you are of the mind that each of these components will affect the music with their own individual flavors, then the only answer to give is they will all satisfy you and they will all disappoint you. If you expect nothing specific, they will all exceed your expectations. If you are searching for something you only have in your head as "better", they will all disapppoint in some area.

If you believe components affect the music with their individual personalities, the first and most important consideration should be which of these components might be a synergistic match with the rest of your system and best service the goals you have for your music. Normally, I would tell you a single dealer has typically invested in equipment which suits their concepts of music. Buying a system from a half dozen dealers is a less than perfect way to obtain a synergisitc match as each dealer will have their own ear for music and system building. If you truly have no priorities of your own and you don't understand system building, allow one dealer to do the work for you. Otherwise, you've purchased dinner piece by piece from the Italian, the Chinese, the TexMex and the fast food places and you end up with a not so appetizing result.

I have no idea what you consider your system's strengths and weaknesses, where it succeeds and where it falls short but I would suggest you do some thinking about these aspects of what you now hear and take that to your dealer for discussion. Personally, I don't feel items such as "wider soundstage" or "more depth" to be sufficient reasons for a change in equipment unless you've made very poor choices in your present system.

Are you curious about "tube sound" or would your system benefit from a neutral presentation? "Tube sound" IMO is a unicorn that does not exist unless you are intentionally screwing with the music. Do you really want to color your music with a layer of "tube sound"? Tubes are wonderful devices in the right context - I use them myself in a system I do not consider to be "tubey" - but just being curious about tube sound is hardly reason to buy equipment. Buy your dealer a six pack or a vintage Chianti Classico and some Parsmessano with ciabata then arrange for an after hours listening session if you are nothing more than curious about "tube sound". You might save yourself a lot of money in the end.

Possibly, you'll find out your speakers and your music will benefit more from better placement, better stands or better cables or something other than a change in amplification. Possibly, what you really need are room treatment devices. If you are in the mood for what everyone else does, room treatments are the one thing almost every listener needs but ignores because it's easier and more fun to buy a new amplifier. Maybe you just need to move your listening chair to a "better" position in the room. It's free and oftentimes can result in dramatic changes and improvements to your music.

I would tell you to ignore "the deal" and go with the component you actually feel will best serve your music and your system. "Bargains" come and go everyday while a component that satisfies and stays in your system for years is much more difficult to find and much more valuable IMO. There are basic electrical values which need to be taken into consideration and you should discuss these particulars with your dealer before making any decision; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/623816.html

That's my advice, you're obviously free to do as you please. It boils down to a few more thoughts on just why you are making a change and what you expect from the new equipment within your system would IMO be beneficial to your success.

Otherwise, yes, it is just change for the sake of change.

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 100
Darren yeah what jan says agreed
a tube pre with a ss amp should work nicely with the gallo's ,

but I own the prima luna dialogue one which is slightly more dynamic then the prologue one by primaluna and judging by all the positive reviews at upscale audio
its very good.
tough to say how each amp would sound with your spk I say gotta try....

but I say biggest change comes from speakers.

theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us