B & K Components-Pre/Power audition with question

Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Yesterday, I auditioned the B & K PT-5 Preamp and 200.2 amplifier with a Denon SACD player and Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers. Sounded very very good. I was surprised at the quality of the sound and can't be sure if it was the amplification or the excellent speakers. Since I am looking for amplification in the 2500-4000 price range, am wondering if the B & K stuff is really that good - or is this just one of those rare cases of lucky synergy between the system's components?? Any - all opinions are solicited. I know B & K has been around about 20years- - but they don't get much press - good or bad. I couldn't find much fault in what I heard. Won't take the time to try to describe other than to say I heard no glaring faults at all. Lots and lots of detail and yet warm at the same time. The bass was completely controlled. Very good extension on the high end. Timbre of acoustical instruments and voices was quite convincing.
I am looking for amplification to drive my recently acquired Acoustic Energy AE1 MkIII speakers in a 14' X 18' room with 9' ceiling - - a will damped room. Listen to no rock - -and mostly listen at lower to moderate level (occasionaly crank it up). Listen mostly to small ensemble acoustic jazz and classical - instrumental and vocal. I also use an NHT SubOne subwoofer (250w Sunfire amp)below 80hZ.

Should also mention that the B & K pieces were using the balanced connections.

Anyone with B & K experience out there??

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
B&K is excellent value. They got here press 20 years ago and now go about their business of building high quality equipment. The money is spent on the design and production not on promotion. There are several very good companies that do the same and rely on the dealers and the buying public to convince themself.
The combo you heard was a synergistic match. That is what a good dealer should be able to show you, you wouldn't expect them to pair pieces that didn't work well unless you specifically request a combination be hooked together. Try it with your equipment and you will likely be very happy.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 602
to me jan is pretty much right on.

and i had to read your post all the way to the end
to find what i was looking for.

as i have the b&k pt3 series II preamp and suposably
the only difference is price and balanced outputs.
and i love my preamp.

b&k makes some very nice equipment. i would not
hesitate choosing them.

glad to hear you heard a system you really liked.

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks guys! Kegger-has your PT3 been reliable?
You're right jan, some companies just let the product continue to sell itself. AOther examples would be Bryston & Blue Circle.

I just really liked the high freq clarity and detail I heard with the B & K.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 612
yes mine has been fine.

the only negative i've heard about b&k was the
ref 30 prepro had issues.

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 15
there good if you got the right combination of speaker plus they have a volume adjustment for each input.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 135
The only negative I have heard about the PT3 was: "The volume control may also present a problem for those with high-gain amplifiers or otherwise sensitive systems, as it moves only in 2dB steps. While this does not directly affect the sound quality, it may make it difficult to achieve the exact listening level desired."

Other than that, it was supposed to be a great buy. I do not know if that is the same for the PT5. This may not be as big of a deal when paired with a B&K amp.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 614
yes the volume does go in 2db steps but i have not
seen it as an issue.if anything a plus because
the volume goes up quicker.

the other thing people have said about the pt3/pt5
preamps is the loudness button is 6db so they complain
it is to much.

for one you slouldn't be using the loudness button
for true audio and no it won't work on a full size
tower. but it actually is not to high for a mini
monitor.

and if your full towers don't put out enough bass
your in trouble allready.

but i usually use a sub with mine anyways for the
extreme lows.

ONE OF THE nice features of this preamp is it has
L&R 80HZ ON UP OUTPUTS.
L&R 80HZ ON DOWN OUTPUTS.
AND L&R FULL RANGE OUTPUTS.

which can come in very handy.maybe even for some
triamping.

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 5
KEGGER - - I hadn't noticed the 80HZ up and down output feature. Turns out that could be very useful in my case because my mini-monitors-while they say they go down to 45hz, I think they die around 80hz and below. I supplement with an NHT SubOne subwoofer that has the Sunfire 250W amp. I have its lowpass filter set to 100hz. Seems to blend just fine. So, I could-if I understand you correctly-send only the signal 80hz and above to my speakers. That'd work! Thanks for the tip!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 620
no problem its kinda cool.

just double check the pt5 retained that but i'm
pretty shure it did.

and im pretty shure they are 6db filters
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help