Pioneer elite vsx45tx

Username: Elitist

Post Number: 1
I have had the 45tx for about a year and a half,im reasonably happy with the reciever but I have an issue that im not sure how to resolve. When im listening to a source(phono,tuner,dvd) I get considerable background noise(HISS) from around minus 15 on the volume and up.
Is this because the amps in the elite are not very good or do you think Its due to bad power coming from the wall socket? If so should I get some kind of power conditioner?
Im very impressed with the elite when it comes to home theatre, but Im not so sure about the 2 channel results,especially with the phono amp section.What are some of your thoughts on these issues.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 456
I have also had the 45 for the same period of time and mine is completely quiet no matter what volume setting. The 45 has a great amp section and a very good phone preamp so I am at a loss to expalin your problem but I doubt it's from your power company. You could try plugging it in at a friends house to see what that would do. I'm sorry you have this problem as I really love the 45 for 2 channel listening, especially in direct mode.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 975
Elitefan1, I was wondering when you'll get to this question. 3 days, you are slacking:-)

The amp section of the 45tx is no slouch, so I doubt very much that is the source of the hiss. Did you check the connections and has this problem been going on for a while or is it something new?

Post Number: 2
I have noticed the hiss since day one. My interconnects are pretty decent.Im using calrad cables and they are all above average in quality.
My Turntable is a music hall mmf-5 and my speakers are infinity interludes. I just ran a test in dvd mode , phono , tv-sat etc while no source was present. When no source is present I dont get an audible hiss until 0 db and even then I have to get right up close to the speakers to hear it. However when im playing a source I notice the hiss starting at around - 15db. I don't mean to suggest that the pioneer is not up to standard, I have been extremely happy with the unit and am a proud elite owner. However its my understanding that the better the amp the quieter the amp.I am using rather standard fare when it comes to the speaker wire,it is rca digital high performance 14 gauge and all speakers are bi wired.Do you think that better wire might solve the noise issue? I really appreciate all of your feedback,its great to talk to you guys about this stuff.

Do either one of you guys (berny and elitefan)use some kind of power conditioner? Ive heard that they can do great things to your system. Also im thinking of possibly building a two channel system using nad seperates and psb speakers. I considered just getting the psb's and running them through the pioneer but ive heard that the psb's are way to layed back for the pioneers warm sound,any opinions guys? I eagerly await your responses.

Bronze Member
Username: Invierno

Post Number: 59
Do you still get the hiss if you disconnect all your other components from the receiver?

If nothing else, I'd check the cable/sat connection. I've personally had a certain amount of noise (not ground loop hum, but hiss) introduced by my cable tv line. Interestingly, only Parasound amplifiers were effected by it. I solved that problem with an isolation transformer -- see http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-075 for one example.

Bronze Member
Username: Invierno

Post Number: 60
Just re-read your previous post and realized that you did try this with the sources disconnected.

Next question was whether you get the hiss with just the DVD or another single component connected? It sounds like one of the components is introducing the noise. As I said above, my bet would be on your cable/sat connection.

Post Number: 3
I have noticed the hiss from day one with the pioneer.I just ran a test in dvd mode,phono,tuner etc with no source playing.With no source I dont notice an audible hiss until I get to o db,and even then I have to get right by the speaker to hear it. When playing a source I begin to notice an audible hiss around - 15 db. I dont mean to suggest that the pioneer is not up to standard,as I have been very happy with the elite and am a proud elite owner.However its my understanding that the better the amp the quieter the amp.I dont think its the interconnects as they are quite good. They are all calrad cables and are better then average. My speaker cables on the other hand are probably quite average,they are rca digital high performance 14 gauge wire.All speakers are bi wired. My system is the 45 tx,a music hall mmf-5turntable and infinity interlude speakers.The reason I mentioned the power conditioner is that I have heard that they can do wonderful things for your system. I have been considering building a 2 channel system using nad seperates and psb speakers. I considered getting the psb's and running them through the elite but Ive heard that the psb's might not be a good match with the pioneers warm sound.Any opinion on this you guys?

Thanks for replying to my posts I think its great to talk to you guys about all things audio:-)

PS what kind of speaker wire do you guys Use? DO you think i may be picking up signals from my satelite, phone cable etc through my speaker wire?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 977
I am stumped, however I am using an UPS for my system and have really had no issue with noise. I use the UPS just for protection against fluctuations and I don't get noise even without one.

Post Number: 4
Sorry about that last post i didnt think the previous post went through and wrote another one.
I will check out the isolation transformer,it sounds like good advice. I get hiss on all inputs to varying degrees. I think the hiss is worse on the phono section. maybe im being unreasonable expecting compete silence ? after all o db is quite loud, but it seems to me ive heard other recievers that were completely silent in the past,like yamaha for example.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us