Upgade

Username: Kordon

Post Number: 1
I have $2000.00 to spend to upgrade my receiver to the latest and greatest. My B&K with no hdmi just doesn't cut it. Suggestions please.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14342
Hi Kordon, and welcome.

Do you use this receiver for movies/games and tv only?
No sitdown and listen to an album?

Post Number: 2
Movies, music and sometimes i'll run the Dish HD through it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14343
Do you need multiple hdmi inputs or can you use a hub or other device?

Are you looking for a very different sound then the B.K delivers?

What do you have for speakers?

Post Number: 3
Multiple hdmi. I like the sound fine. I can't get the sound right from my OPPO 83 BDP through the analog outputs. The sound from my old dvd player sounds better than the BDP.So I thought I'd upgrade to hdmi and all the new codecs.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2909
If your using the analogue outputs make sure the Oppo is set to full PCM on 5.1 for the analog outs. Most blu ray players come setup for 2.1 on the analog outs. I am not sure if the Oppo is set up this way.

If I had 2 grand to spend on a Home theater AVR I would buy either get a 1000 dollar amp and a 1000 pre amp. Or I would save more until I could afford the new Arcam FMJ AVR500.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14354
Nick, your arcam buddy got you hooked, huh?

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1092
I just heard the Arcam AVR on an all Paradigm HT setup. It was the Studio 60'd front with the new big centre and Studio 20 rears. The dealer had a theatre rooms with every single wall acoustic treated - if you ask me it was too dead but looked gorgeous. It sounded great but we couldn't seem to get it to feel LOUD, even with a Paradigm 12 inch sub running. At about a volume setting of 63 it actually shut down for the about a 1/2 second. Obviously, the staff had left us alone in the basement home theatre to have our way with it. Impressive but it was listed for $7999 on sale for $5999 (floor model). I'm not sure I could justify the buck on it. My Onkyo 805 will have to hang around for the time being.

Post Number: 4
Nuck,
I have PSB Silveri's

Gold Member

Post Number: 2910
lol George must had been the AVR600 for 5999.00 I think the smaller AVR500 at 100 watts per channel is around 3999.99 or something. My friend has it and to date is the best sounding and functioning AVR I have ever heard. Wierd George that it shut down just powering the Paradigm speakers. Interesting man.

Nuck- Oh yes. But not how I would spend my money my friend. :-)

Post Number: 5
Ok, so give an idea on a 1000.00 Pre/pro and 1000.00 amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14357
kordon, I know them well. Not easy to drive. They dip to 3.1 ohms with a fairly wide phase shift. I would go with somwthing high current for sure.

Check around on Agon, 2k$ is a lot to spend.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2911
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7125.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html new pre amp coming.

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/T955.asp

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14360
The psb's don't NEED lots of power to work, but they will gladly accept copious quality input.

Kordon, I also changed out the tweeters in mine, from metal dome to silk. I highly recommend that you have a look at that, if you are so inclined.

Post Number: 6
I get emails from Outlaw audio all the time, I just didn't know if they were any good.

Post Number: 7
That NAD looks mighty interesting.

Post Number: 8
What NAD pre/pro do you guys recommend to pair up that NAD amp. Here's the 2,000.00 question: would this blow away my B&K hopefully? Also, is the NAD a 5.1? I don't see any place for a sub output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2919
B&K is one of the better sounding AVR's on the market. Most would probably prefer the sound of B&K to NAD. Some may not. Depends on the room, equipment and listener. You want all the inputs and HD sound decoding however and I do not believe you can get into a B&K that does so for the 2 grand mark. For that price range I would look into NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, Outlaw Audio, Onkyo Integra. Or looked for something used.

Post Number: 9
Unfortunately decoding of Dolby Digital+, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio is not supported in te ref 70, what the heck.

Username: Moodyda

Post Number: 4
FIWW I picked up a Pioneer SC-25 receiver at BB for $999 (reg $1699) about a month ago to give it a try. This would be replacing a B&K REF 20. I have got to tell you that Pioneer has come a long way since I last auditioned receivers (1999). The class D amps on board are wonderful for HT and present a warm open sound in 2 channel direct. At first I thought I would utilize my B&K AV5000 series 2 amp (125wp/c) but I really like the sound that the Pioneer produces through my Sonus Faber Grand Pianos. Hopefully BB will discount again soon and that would leave you with an extra 1k to blow on other needs.

Username: Moodyda

Post Number: 5
OOps.... I meant FWIW

Post Number: 10
I really want to try separates this time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us