What to look for in a CD player

Username: J1000

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 3
guys,

I have recently bought paradigm studio 60 speakers and NAD C355 BEE integrated amp.Am currently playing it with my pioneer DVD player and am not happy with the sound.However, there is a whole lot of difference if i play through my i-pod.The sound is far detailed than the DVD player .Have seriously decided to go for a dedicated CD player.Need your recommendation.I would like to play all formats i.e CD-R, CD -RW ,MP3 etc....

thanks,
J

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 725
Do you have a lot of CD's ? Or is most of your music collection MP3's, or other form of files ripped or downloaded ?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3217
Your budget would help us give appropriate recommendations too.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3218
I think where Chris is going with this is a good suggestion. If most of your music is mp3 or some other digital format, you could look at buying a quality DAC instead of a CDP and using your computer as a source. A lot of people are going that route more and more.

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 4
It is a combination of all. I have close to 300+ good quality CD's and i do keep on buying them.Just that i am looking our for a decent quality player that would do justice to all kinds of format..budget would be within US $ 500.

J

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3220
I'm sorta the same way. I have a sizable CD collection and I keep buying them, so I prefer to have a CD player. I have a PC based system as well, it doesn't come close to my CD based system.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11074
A gently used Rega Apollo would be my recommendation.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2801
I keep buying cd's too, and I keep putting them in my music server.lol I like having the best of both worlds.

Jayram- I have personally come to the conclusion that a mid priced 500-1000 dollar DAC, giving the right combination(The output on the machine depends a lot on the sound as well) can easily smash most 1500-2500 dollar cd players. A dedicated cd player is fun too though. If your going to just use a regular PC or Laptop feeding a 100 dollar DAC then I would opt out for a dedicated cd player myself. Just some thoughts.

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 5
Nick.. thanks for the inputs... What make and model of DAC would you recommend?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3221
I've read great things about the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, and it's pretty reasonably priced too (around 500 bucks). I would guess that it's probably the same DAC that's in the CA 840C CDP.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2803
Yeah the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic is great. My dealer gave it to me for 420 taxes in which is a bargain. Usually its 500 like David said. David is right, it is the exact DAC that is in the 840C and it sounds wonderful. Also I have a HRT Music Streamer Plus and basic model. The Plus is right up there with the Magic, but different and the basic HRT model is an amazing bargain for 100 dollars. The HRT basic gives you quality that a 400-600 dollar CDP would produce. I would recommend any of the three.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2804
Nuck has the Grant Fidelity unit that is suppose to be a great sounding unit for 300-400 dollars.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3222
Nick, is the DACMagic a dual-differential unit? My 640C has dual Wolfson DACs which supposedly helps with stereo imaging.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2806
Yup it uses Wolfson WM8740's running in dual differential mode. Same as the 840c. Sounds nice.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2203
I am starting to think about the 6moons review of the HRT Media Streamer+ and am considering obtaining the same USB cable that Srajan Ebaen used for his evaluation with it.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/streamer/streamer+.html

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2604
Mike, stop thinking before you get further than starting
- it's a lot cheaper that way. LOL!

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 6
Nick/David,
Thanks for all the help.Have got some idea on which directon to go.. will keep you posted once i make my decision

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 604
David,
CA840c uses Anagram Technologies d/a convertors. They call them 'blackfin', for whatever reason.
I don't believe any relation to the DacMagic

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 605
sorry,
See link to 840c specs for correction::

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=112&Title=Azur+840C+Black+Fin+DSP+ upsampling+CD+player

Anagram Technologies is a Swiss company. The devices used in the CA 840c allow upsampling to 384khz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2808
Excellent Leo. Did the 840C always use that device? Or has it recently been changed?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2809
Their web site says they use the Anagram based technology but old reviews on it say the wolfsons.lol Wack!! An upgrade perhaps? Pretty cool though. The 840c must be a very good unit indeed.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 606
840c sound compliments my panels and 'd' amp. The stuff I listen to sounds very coherent, at least for single session recordings.
I don't use it enough, though. Most of my listening is casual thru XM / small dish.

I'm a little late to the party and simply don't remember the 840c NOT being adverted with the Anagram chipset. The balanced outs are also a slight gain against the UN. But that was with the issued cable, true junk, VS the Mogami.

No further changes for me. Next 'upgrade' will be something to listen to in the garage. And it ain't gonna be pretty!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2810
lol nice!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13866
Your Media Centre sounds really cool, Nick!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2815
Sure is Nuck. Won't be mine for long

Username: Layback

Post Number: 2
I see the new Cambridge Audio azur 650 comes with dual Wolfson WM8740's. Anyone have one yet? I'm thinking of getting one.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3577
Chris,

If you start a new thread and ask a few more specific questions, I'm sure you'll get some responses. One or two people here have Cambridge sources.

Username: Gekristen

Post Number: 1
i think where Chris is going with this is a good suggestion. If most of your music is mp3 or some other digital format,U have to buy a quality player .

Username: Maxepotter

Post Number: 1
A well-designed CD transport--the part of the player that holds, spins and plays the CD--should be isolated, stable and quiet during playback. Some players sacrifice transport quality for convenience, such as the mega-carousel players, where it is possible to load several hundred CDs at once.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us