Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14004

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/593729.html

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=1787329#POST1787329

This should be interesting.

This is between Rantz and me and has been for the last five years, so the rest of you just stay out.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3821
Well, if it's between just the two of you why don't you enjoy beating each other's brains out in private using the Private Messaging facility rather than using the forum as your social battering spot?! For crying out loud, go ahead and kill each other verbally for all I care but NOT ON THE FORUM!

It demeans you and it demeans the forum.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

I come from ...

Post Number: 2543
You are correct Frank it's demeaning to all, but think back a bit, before you cast the stone.

Bronze Member
Username: Buzzy

Post Number: 10
C: Both of you.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13642
I think we covered Frank's use of 'Jap' a long time ago...

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 507
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98T3PVaRrHU

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10814
Actually it was Frank and MR and we taught each other something. I learned about their use of the term where they are from and they learned it has a different meaning here in North America. I considered it a learning for all involved.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1367
Haha, so which jap are we talking about? JAP the acronym, jap the derogatory term.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13646
It was not considered or understood to be derogitory by all involved, that wasa useful UN type lesson.

Gold Member

I come from ...

Post Number: 2544
I wasn't referring to that one, but I'll leave it at that.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10815
JAP (Jewish American Princess) the acronym is derogatory per most of my Jewish friends. So I guess you could say both Chris.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1368
I see. It seems that people in general have become very on edge lately. I can think of a few things that may be doing that. I stop reading for a week and Ecoustics flips on its head

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10817
Ecoustics flips on it's head often and that's the point being made on another thread...or was being made on another thread until it headed a different direction.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3506
"This is between Rantz and me and has been for the last five years, so the rest of you just stay out."

Then why publically post it?

Get real - neither one of you is going to leave.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13653
At this rate maybe I will.

Geez

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14037

The election was held Nov. 4. 158 million voted. Only one person could win. I guess we shouldn't have announced it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1369
What?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14039

Sorry, I assumed you were hung over that day.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1370
That still makes no sense Jan.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3825
MR, how dare you suggest that I meant to be derogatory about the Japanese when it had been made VERY clear that the term I used is in no way associated with derogatory meaning, but merely slang for the complete term? And talk about dredging up stone cold long felt memories! God forbid I should ever say or write anything disrespectful about anyone anytime in any of your futures.

Tell you what - I won't! In answer to Jan's thread title, ME! I'm leaving you all to your petulant childish little squabbles which remind me perfectly why the Irish and Middle Eastern situations will never have a chance of being resolved. You can keep this forum. There are loads of others out there that will be happy to have me and forget as well as forgive any inadvertent indiscretions.

Have a long and happy time taking stupid potshots at each other. Just don't come anywhere near me.

Goodbye all, it had been nice but now I see it as all just too much like playground politics. I'm off.

Frank.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14087

Sorry to see you go, Frank, and good luck. The only forums I've found where squabbles do not occur are those that are heavily moderated and anything you post must go through a moderator before it can land on the forum. I tried one of those one time after being involved in the personality clashes that happen here and I was soon warned by the moderator other (well respected, long time) members disliked my addressing them (as a newbie to the forum) by name with my questions. I soon found my posts not showing up on the forum no matter how politely I asked the question. It's either playground politics or shooolyard cliques I'm afraid.

If you change your mind, let us know.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10890
Audiokarma is heavily moderated but nothing goes through the moderators before landing on the forum, however the kind of squabbles tolerated here lead to one's permanent banning there. Good for AK, the best moderated forum online.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 354
Wow Frank, I'd wish you'd reconsider. All because of a comment from one poster. You've got 3800 posts, I think you've probably had a lot of nice conversations here...don't let the bad outweigh the good. Anyways, I always enjoyed reading your views. I've pretty much ignored the mudslinging of late.

I gave Audiokarma a look recently...I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but the slant seemed too heavy to me towards vintage gear.

I've tried a few forums, not sure I've found the one I'm looking for. CAM and audioreview look like the most promising. WhatHiFi can be enjoyable. AVforums, AVS, and Audioholics seem too slanted toward Internet Direct from my admittedly limited exposure to them.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 700
I hope you reconsider Frank. You add a lot to the discussion here.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10891
Audiokarma has a vintage flavor but the top dawgs mostly own new gear and have pushed hard to make sure there are no biases against new gear. Civility and friendship as well an emphasis on music makes it my favorite forum. Just look at the music threads at AK. If the playlists don't give you ideas and places to discuss what this hobby is really about then I dunno.

I joined both AK and Ecoustics the same day and have many folks here who I enjoy very much, Frank was one. But I understand his feelings and wish him well. I think I speak for most folks here in saying that Frank would be welcome back at any time. Frank was informative and civil. I've read his posts over at the Naim forum where he has been a great contributor...a gentleman everywhere he inhabits.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13745
sigh...

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2783
That sucks Frank. Your a good guy. Super knowledgeable. I h ope you reconsider.

Too bad Ecoustics has to lose such Audio experts as Frank just because someone wants to bring out the fact the guy used the word Jap.lol. Who cares if he used the word Jap, in any way shape or form. We all know what he meant anyway.

Canuck Audio Mart. Best site to buy gear. Best Forum on the net right now. AudioCircle is ok too.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3157
Well that sucks.

I hope you reconsider Frank.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10893
"Who cares if he used the word Jap, in any way shape or form. We all know what he meant anyway."

I care Nick. Just like I care if someone uses the words n i g g e r, k i k e, f a g and so on. Words hurt. That wasn't the point as we all got an education in the different connotation of the word jap in different places. I think that Frank was displeased because it was brought up in the context of a conversation where it had no place and that we were long since past it.

Nick, ofcourse I know that you meant no harm, but will everyone, and that's the point.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2171
FRANK!

M.R. posted "I wasn't referring to that one, but I'll leave it at that."

So perhaps when you posted;

"MR, how dare you suggest that I meant to be derogatory about the Japanese..."

there may be a set of ingenuity within.

What nerve did M.R. really hit? One that almost none of us are familiar with.

So what have we proven to this point?

Mistakes happen, just like sh!t happens, and we move on. Nobody lost a job, limb, or loved one over all of this. A degree of respect? Yes

Is that the first time that happened to anyone here?

Are any of us going to look the other in the eye and make an issue out of anything here. Not likely. So why take it to the point of "I'm taking my ball and going home."?

Sh!t happens, we learn from it and move on. At least that's the way I grew up.

M.R. and Frank, you each have your own reasons for moving on. I bid you both health and happiness.

Unless of course I provoked either of you to retort...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10894
I hope they come back as well...

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2226
M.R. posted "I wasn't referring to that one, but I'll leave it at that."

I noticed that too. I think Nuck may have jumped the gun here, and Frank never noticed that M.R. said that he was talking about something else. Emotions seem to running high.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2172
Art I agree with your post that crossed with mine.

Peter, I had not considered Frank had not noticed that as he presents himself as being fairly thorough. Emotions very well might have been in play.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 2227
I missed that episode, but it appears to have left sour feelings.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2784
I didnt know the word Jap was taken as a racist comment. Interesting. I work and am good friends with Japanese people, and I don't see them taking that word as a racist slant. Yes words, of course Art, like n i g g e r and k y k e and such are terrible. Racist indeed. I don't take the word Canuck as a racist comment why would the word Jap be one? Anyway, I think this is again another one of those posts where I, the poster, is taking that word into a different sort of context than others. Interesting. Moving on. Frank needs to stick around. People need to relax. Have a hard scotch on the rocks.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10897
Again, I will have to say that this is an international forum and it doesn't hurt to learn. I don't know if Canuck is offensive or not...I would guess not as their is a Canuck Audio Mart and their is no n i g g e r audio mart. I grew up in a town where many of my friends parents had been interned and to them Jap is what the U.S. and it's allies called their enemy, much like calling Germans, Krauts. Simple, try to be aware of your audience.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 2228
would guess not as their is a Canuck Audio Mart and their is no n i g g e r audio mart.

Jap is what the U.S. and it's allies called their enemy, much like calling Germans, Krauts

Yeah, that's how I would perceive it.

I tend to be more sensitive to those loaded words than most people in my own surroundings because I grew up with the english-french thing going on in Quebec. Being exposed to some english-bashing, I have tried to be more sensitive to various minorities and the like.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10898
That's a good thing thing Peter. It's not about P.C., it's about being responsible and accountable with our language. Even if doesn't offend folks where you or I live, once we find out that somewhere else where the message is received it's taken as a slight, it's time to call it a learning experience and alter our use of the language and move on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2553
I haven't left thre forum. I've been away for a week having a great break with my wife on the Sunshine Coast.

Frank, as others suggested here you missed my post where I stated my comment had nothing to do with the Japanese comment, so I'm not apologising though instead I'm imploring you to reconsider your decision to leave this forum. My comment was referring to an altercation you had with QV1 where tempers flared and a few expletives were tossed around. Don't ask me which post or when it occurred, but that's what I meant by casting stones. Forgive me if I'm incorrect about this, but that is what my memory served regarding my comment.

Generally, I've had nothing but respect and admiration for you on this forum along with a few other decent individuals and you contribute greatly here and handle yourself like a true gentleman.

Please reconsider.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3158
Frank has deleted his account.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10915
Glad you're still here MR.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13755
And I, under the duress of polital bulslhit have to duck out as well.
I have seen enough of the sickly suckling underbelly of politico crud to last me a lifetime.
After suffering the never ending barrage of forced acceptance that is force fed down my throat in this stupid POS place that I live in, I am going to find happier place where I can shoot a terrorist or at least imprison him for life.
I ave hd enough of not call ing a Japanese citizen a Jap (its a short form, kids), or Brit as a Limey.
A Nigeger is a criminal, drug dealing POS, no matter the colour, thats the name. They shoot your mama.

A Canuck is a stupid, money paying purveryor of culptitude, in any consideration providing grain for cheap labour and people to live here regardlaess of the past.

I have seen enough polital correctness to choke me.
When I want to talk audio , and some other stuff, I would look here.
I will look elsewhere now, tyvm.

Such tenderfootedness, such demascualisation and such lack of fortitude is both distressing and demoralizing on a lot of levels.

Grow some nuts.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10919
Sober up Nuck. What does being masculine mean to you Nuck? As I stated once before it is NOT about political correctness which I find just as distasteful as you, it's about respecting other people and making them feel as welcome as you feel. It's not about treating people the way you want to be treated but instead treating people the way they want to be treated.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10920
And BTW that is just about as disgusting a post as I've seen here and am sorry you wrote it. I would never have expected that from you.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10921
"And I, under the duress of polital bulslhit have to duck out as well.
I have seen enough of the sickly suckling underbelly of politico crud to last me a lifetime.
After suffering the never ending barrage of forced acceptance that is force fed down my throat in this stupid POS place that I live in, I am going to find happier place where I can shoot a terrorist or at least imprison him for life.
I ave hd enough of not call ing a Japanese citizen a Jap (its a short form, kids), or Brit as a Limey.
A Nigeger is a criminal, drug dealing POS, no matter the colour, thats the name. They shoot your mama.

A Canuck is a stupid, money paying purveryor of culptitude, in any consideration providing grain for cheap labour and people to live here regardlaess of the past.

I have seen enough polital correctness to choke me.
When I want to talk audio , and some other stuff, I would look here.
I will look elsewhere now, tyvm.

Such tenderfootedness, such demascualisation and such lack of fortitude is both distressing and demoralizing on a lot of levels.

Grow some nuts."

Nuck here are your words for all to read. Reread them as though someone else had written them. Is this really who you are? I don't think so.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10922
I'm not sure you know how offensive it is to use the word n i g g e r in the way that you did. Unlike others though Nuck, I'm not going anywhere...nope. You wanna behave this way that's fine and I will be here to call out that behavior everytime I see it. Why? Because no one should feel like I do now, and I thank you for that.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10925
Carry on.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 2231
Yikes, what happened to go leafs ??

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10947
If we leave this alone it will go away...get it.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3529
I really like Nuck. I'm shocked at what he wrote. I sincerely hope it was a drunken mistake.

The way I look at it, if you have to resort to words like that, you've lost all intelligent ways of expressing yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 316
Stu,

There is an old saying that a drunk mind speaks the sober truth....

Hopefully this was just a nasty tirade by someone looking to get a rise out of the folks on the forum... Go figure.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1044
Wow, things have really gone nuts here. I was off for a few days to come back to war.

Can we all just get back to what were here for...the hobby? No blood has fallen - yet - let's keep it that way.

I declare an end to this thread! So say we all?????

Just don't post anymore here. Let's make that the pissing contest - who can hold out on posting on this thread the longest. The loser is the first one who posts next and he/she can buy us all a new set of speakers.

Cheers

P.S. Make love not war.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us