In one ear.......

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 522
This post will either leave you shaking your head or set you to wondering.
First, I've been trying to educate my ears.
We all know its not just the ears, but brain is involved as well. Each side of the brain seems to have an emphasis and talent, if you will.

Try an experiment.

Cover 1 ear at a time and listen to some music.
I notice different things when doing so, and I mean besides the loss of stereo. The same song sounds different when listened to thru either ear.
I think 1 side of my brain is responsible for some of the creative things that happen, like PRaT and the like, while the other side appreciates the tonal relationships of modern or progressive jazz. More of a math thing. related, to be sure, but handled in different part of the brain?

Try this if you wish. I think results may depend on if you are 'right brain' or 'left brain' dominant.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10778
Cool idea Leo. I will try that.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3106
I've tried that before Leo. I've got a little bit of hearing loss in my left ear, so things already sound a little different listening with one ear or the other.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3820
Leo,

The main reason for that slight change in sound that you observe is not to do with the brain at all actually (insofar as scientists understand how the brain works of course). The different sides of a room create different reflections and different time signatures for the signals arriving at your (uncovered) ear.

The brain combines the hearing inputs in the same part of the brain - the temporal lobe. When you have both ears in play, a combination of 3 million years evolution and your lifetime's experiences allow you to construct a sonic image which allows to discern minute differences in pitch, pace (stimulus) and time delays (distance). When you deprive the brain of the two inputs artificially, it can't construct the correct image to build since the rules of your 3 million + 40 years of development don't apply. Hence it sounds weird (at first) while your brain tries to figure out what to do to construct that sonic map, which can get a bit better as it learns what things sound like through one ear in prolonged single ear exposure (days, weeks....).

Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3108
"The different sides of a room create different reflections and different time signatures for the signals arriving at your (uncovered) ear."

I've found this in my listening room for sure Frank. In one corner I have a wood burning stove, and an opening in the wall, and that definitely throws the balance of the room of a bit. I hear a lot more high end (cymbals, especially) coming from this side.

Hearing loss aside.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13644
I am not so certain that our hearing has devoloped over the last few millenia, so much as adapted.
Particularly since the industrial revolution, with it's associated assault of noise and damaging exposure levels.
Todays assaults are such that a slight reprieve from the onslaught seems blissful, when in reality, the sound levels from all around never really abate.

It would seem to me that human hearing peaked in generations, or eons in fact, of counting on all senses for simple survival to defence.

I could not hear a lion approch under any circumstances, but suffice to say that any senior aboriginal (around 28 then) had heard, and avoided a few.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 530
This is what I had in mind:
http://www.waiting.com/brainfunction.html

I finally looked up something concrete. IF you hearing is handled in a left / right semetrical area, I'd expect there to be differences in perception of the same sound as heard thru each ear. No necessarily frequency differences, or the differences brought about by odd rooms.

But it looks from this drawing that the brain handles hearing in 1 area.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 531
or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_auditory_cortex

I've got some reading to do,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us