DAC-09

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13461
I ordered one of these, and i intend to try it in several configurations.
One will be a tube buffer between the Apollo and Mac MX112.
Another will be as a DAC only, from files over USB.
Third will be in unison with HRT streamer, as soon as I figgur out what to do with it, LOL.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_Tube_DAC-09

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2132
Interesting indeed. At 2Kg you will have no trouble packing it up and bringing in here on your next visit.

You should have fun moving it around as you described above although I do no see where it may provide an improvement over the Apollo except for potential impedance matching.

My Media Streamer+ draws it's power from the USB connection so I do not have an opportunity to swap out power cables to find the right match. I have tried a couple of entry level USBs and have not forayed into middle or high end USBs as 1) this is not an audiophile configuration though it comes close and 2) I lack sufficient conviction that higher end USBs would move this to an audiophile configuration.

Looking forward to your impressions Nuck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13464
A fun toy, Mike.
I expect to only buffer the Apollo from overloading the inputs of the MX112, which were previously overdriven into treble breakup. The VC can also be used, although I am hoping the buffer will suffice.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2485
Looks good Nuck. I wait for your thoughts also.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13474
Should meet the thing at the door next Friday

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2486
I'm hoping for a new arrival this week also - big and heavy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13475
Your mail order date is showing up too?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2487
Not exactly mail order, but any day now :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13478
Mine had to come from Russia...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13539
I received the DAC-09 today, and in the usual manner.
I finally had to step out for 3 minutes to get beer.
Upon return, I spotted the delivery truck rounding the corner away from me.
I have been to this rodeo before.
I scooted up the street and followed the truck to the next stop, and retrieved the package.
This really is a gauntlet run by many of us, and somehow made me chortle, as I have named it audio delivery foreplay, or ADF. It's like chasing the sheep first.

But I digress.

I am now laundering garments as I pull the pile away from a bag that very likely holds a bundle of snakes known as old cables, none of them good at all.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13540
What did ya get Rantz?!?!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2505
Delivery has been deferred to Monday - it was friday, then it was monday, then back to thursday (yesterday) then back to friday (today) now it's monday again. Another version of ADF or what?

Tune in early next week for the answer - until then, get your DAC-09 in place and relay the consequences.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13553
Chasing the sheep?

Silver Member
Username: Mordecai

Texas

Post Number: 293
Michael, do you think the HRT+ is worth $299? Isn't it a 16 bit DAC? I have Super Pro DAC and it is 24 bit. I am using a digital connection from my PC. Do you the HRT+ would provide better sound?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13583
The DAC 09 is now in the kit, and keeping it simple tonight.
The digital out from the Apollo is routed to the dac via some generic cable that I dug up.
The dac is supplying ss output to the tape in of the Mac MA6900 via the same cables that came from the Apollo for anaflogue out the Mac, A Beldin 1808/Eichmann arrangement.
This configuration is intended to go head to head with the Apollo's dacs.

First impressions alone, this unit equals the dynamics and balance of the Apollo.
I do not detect any harshness, no tonal loss and no rolloff in the unit's play.
While listening for pleasure instead , it was 'Very Best of Robert Palmer', a rcording which I know well, and containing a variety of recordings, each of varying quality.

I had a very enjoyable time of the music. Nothing stood out, just the music. I missed none of the drive, none of the rhythm and no musicality on this listen.

This 300$CDN box, delivered to my door, plays as a ss DAC as well as the Apollo for me (presently have a head cold).

I have not yet tried the tube output, the linestage, nor the other functions, tomorrow is another day.

So far, it is a very good box.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_Tube_DAC-09

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2149
Sorry, I lost track of this thread.

I posted the review I am copying down here in another thread.

Mordecai, you will have to decide it's value and I have no way to offer a comparative assessment for you. You are welcome to borrow my Media Streamer+ to find out for yourself.

Here is my assessment;

I have resolved my thoughts on my Media Streamer+.

It is as advertised and reviewed, quite the product for the money. I have used it with a 6ft Belkin USB and a 10 ft.gold plated Belkin USB. I did not sense a difference in either. My source is my laptop, using lossless audio files ripped to it as well as my outboard server. Differences were imperceptible to me.

I have rolled various Interconnects from it to my pre-amp. This is the only area I can gauge qualitative changes. I have elected to leave one of my two MIT Shotgun 2 ICs from the Media Streamer+ to the pre-amp. This provides the best quality for me. I can explain on another thread why I moved my best IC from my pre-amp to amp to this part of my kit.

The end result is very detailed easy to listen to music, but not as good as my Saturn CD player. There is a depth and realism with the CD player that the Media Streamer+ just misses. If I did not have the Saturn I would be fine with not knowing what I was missing.

The simplest analogy I can come up with to describe the differences would be sitting down to enjoy your favorite dessert and sensing something was not right only to find out that the chef had run out of butter and had to substitute margarine. You still got all the calories, but...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13776
I tried the DAC with laptop/usb (thanksNick) today, but I think I do not have the capacity to record in WAV from a disc.
Or i have no idea how to use WAV/media.
I cannot find the file type in properties.

It sounds like a mp3 to me.
With tubes and Mac.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2185
What version of Windows are you running on your laptop?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13781
xp pro

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2187
Try this;

Open your "Windows Media Player"

Click on the drop down arrow right under the "Rip" tab

Click on "Format"

Select "Windows Media Audio Lossless"

You can also click on "More Options..." instead of "Format"

The pop-up window has a tab "Rip Music", click on it.

There you can select Format "WAV" and Audio Quality in the drop down menu under Rip Settings

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13782
Thanks Mike. I did that before, but it only stayed that way for one rip, then reverted for some reason.

Nick sent me to CDex and I installed that one to try as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us