Receiver Alternate

Username: Willd

Post Number: 1
I have an old set of speakers that i found in my house recently. 4 speakers and a sub and they have never been taken out of the package. What I wondering is if there is anyway to use them without a receiver? I am a student so money is tight. Are there any other options than buying a receiver to use them?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13262
Ummm...try humming?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13870

The bad news is, even with a receiver you'll still need a source player (CD/DVD) to plug into the receiver unless you just really, really like the radio stations in your area.

You might want to look into a computer based system and do some reserach on the speakers. If they have a very high electrical sensitivity spec (90dB or so) you could pick up a fairly inexpensive T-amp as the power amp.

Head over to the computer section of the forum and ask a few questions about using a computer as a source player.

Bronze Member
Username: Jackkessler

Post Number: 25
Sorry to disrespect my elders but feel free to ignore Jan Vigne and Nuck. They are thinking retail thoughts. I suggest Will D go to his local Craigslist, garage sale, or thrift store.

All modern receivers have lots of home theater features for supporting 5, 7, 8 or more speakers and simultaneously supporting various resolutions of video output.

Will doesn't need any of that. A stereo receiver that drives music into two or even four speakers and does little else, is completely obsolete now. So a used one can be had for not much money.

Make sure everything works on it, especially if it is in a thrift store, and be sure it has the remote. A remote always seems like a frippery until the 100th time you have to get up to adjust the volume.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13874

Ahhhh, precious youth and it's infernal follies!

The question was, "Are there any other options than buying a receiver to use them?"

So how does the response, "buy a used receiver", answer that question?

Obviously, even in our advanced years and state of rapid mental deterioration (largely brought on by having to put up with the precocious "youth" of today) Nuck and I understand the pre-owned market place. But, "where can I buy a cheap receiver?", was not the question posed by the op.

And, of course, since this is a public forum Will gets to ingore anyone he so chooses.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13280
Speak up dearie.

Yeah I suppose the lack of Outlaw RR2150, HK 3385 and a half dozen other stereo receivers are a myth.

With phono.

The OP did not find 5,7 or 8 speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2930
You can use a power amp and a computer as an alternative to using a receiver (and some other source). I've done this with an ancient NAD 2150 I had at one point.

You control the amp volume with the computer volume. Be very careful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us