Bose 901 Series VI + surround- Help!

Username: Kmskitter

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone, I'm a little new at this, so please excuse my (probably simple) problem. I would very much appreciate an experienced hand to help me out.

I was given a set of Bose 901 Series VI and the 901 equalizer recently, but I already have a 7.1 surround sound system in place.

How do I hook up these 901 speakers as main L and R to work in conjunction with my current surround sound system?

The 901s *must* run with the equalizer according to everything I've read, but the manuals aren't giving me a whole lot of help on exactly how to hook it all up.

It's especially confusing since some of my equipment is older, some newer, and everything is labeled about a million different ways.

Here is a list of the equipment I have:

2x Bose 901 Series VI
1x Bose 901 active equalizer
1x Yamaha V-2095
1x Yamaha HTR-5630
1x Denon DRA 755

I'm definitely willing to make a few trips to Radio Shack, but if at all possible I'd like to not have to buy another receiver just to get these 901s going.

I would be very grateful for any how-to advice you guys can offer!

-Eli

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 489
I rather doubt that anything that Yamaha OR Denon makes will drive 901s.
You also mention 'current surround sound system'.
Do you intend to run the 901s as front channels or simply as a dedicated stereo pair? IF as part of a multi-channel HT setup, you will have trouble with matching sound.
Sorry, Eli, but you probably won't get much Bose traction around here.
Please supply a little more detail and you may get a better, more helpful response.

Username: Kmskitter

Post Number: 2
I appreciate the response, I didn't want to get too long-winded. Researching more, and bieng a newbie in this area, I didn't realize how polarized people are on Bose. I am curious why people either love them or hate them. Anywho, here is a little better explanation of my OP.

I was wondering:

With the equipment I listed, which I know is old and dated, is there any way to use the 901s as the front main left and right speakers in my 7.1 HT setup?

My current 7.1 surround system isn't special, but its been alright sound for my needs amd experience level. Boston horizon mcs 100.

Would I get better sound by throwing the 901s in there?

Would it be worth the trouble? Is it even possible?

If I were watching an Eagles 7.1 DVD, what setup would sound the best with the equipment I have?

I know my stuff is like a Pinto compared to the Ferraris you guys have, but surely I can get something decent from what I have.

Thanks for responding.

Eli

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13248
Eli, I would not even bother trying to put the 901's in your kit.
These things are very much meant to be a stereo pair, as the timing, phase, directionality and crossover are unique.
Your HT would likely sound a horrible mess, lacking timing and coherence.

Your existing setup matters little to us, as long as you are happy with it, which you likely would not be with the 901's in there.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13868

"Your existing setup matters little to us, as long as you are happy with it ... "

You either are or you aren't.

I would ignore anything said about the quality of 901's. You get to decide whether you like them or you don't. Either way, you are the one listening - not these guys and it won't take long for you to decide what you think of the 901's in this system.

To make the 901 eq operate you'll need pre out/main in on the front two channels. The eq would go in this loop and then only affect the front channels. If your receiver lacks this provision, the only other option for the 901 eq was the tape loop. This, however, will affect all channels and will overdrive any other speaker not expecting to see up to +40dB of boost to some frequencies.

If you don't have the front pre out/main in provisions, pass on the 901's in this system.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us