Outdoor sound system

Username: Rebeccap19

Post Number: 1
What is the best way to set up outdoor speakers so that the laptop would be the source of music without being a permenant set up? can I set up an amplifier inside the house and connect the laptop to the amp when we want music on the deck? What is the best way to set up this type of system?

Bronze Member
Username: Just_wax_it

Montreal, Quebec

Post Number: 55
"What is the best way to set up outdoor speakers so that the laptop would be the source of music without being a permenant set up?"

---> Im not sure I understand what do you mean by permanent set up. Obviously you can connect your computer or any other source to your amplifier quite easily but the amplifier and speakers should preferable stay in one place.

It would be of great help and easier to answer if you could provide more info on what kind of speakers you have and what kind of an arrangement you want?

- What equipment you have already?

- Do you have the outdoor speakers installed already?

- Do you want to control the system (playing songs, controlling the volume etc) outside or inside?

- Do you want to control the outdoor speakers from the same system as your indoor speakers?

- Do you want to play same music inside and outside simultaneously?

"can I set up an amplifier inside the house and connect the laptop to the amp when we want music on the deck?"

---> >This is possible. Actually pretty much any set up is possible. The question is how much flexibility do you want from your system?

Username: Rebeccap19

Post Number: 2
I am looking for the simplest arrangement. I have not purchased any speakers or an amp yet but am looking at the rock speakers that will set in the garden. I would like to have the volume controls inside and it would be nice to have music inside and out but the setup would not be attached to a stereo system already in the house. I would like the amp and speakers to remain in place and hook up the laptop or other source of music when needed.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Just_wax_it

Montreal, Quebec

Post Number: 57
"I would like to have the volume controls inside and it would be nice to have music inside and out but the setup would not be attached to a stereo system already in the house."

---> Then that narrows out the possibility of listening the same source (your computer) inside and outside simultaneously unless you buy two pairs of speakers. One pair for outside and one pair inside. If you choose this option you need an amplifier which has speaker connections for two separate pairs of speakers. Many stereo amplifiers have this option.

"I would like the amp and speakers to remain in place and hook up the laptop or other source of music when needed."

---> As you mentioned you would want to control the music inside then the set up is pretty straightforward and easy.

I dont know the speakers you mention but I assume your refering to these?

http://www.hd.ca/speakers/rockspeakers.php

Meaning that you will need:
- Amplifier
- Speakers
- Tinned oxygen free speaker cable (Marine grade is a good standard. The quality of your speaker cable is very important when using outdoor speakers. 14 AWG should be thick enough)
- Interconnects to connect your computer to your amp

Thats it. The only part which you need plan carefully is the where do you place the speakers, thus also wiring, as you dont want the speaker cable to be on your way inviting accidents to happend. Most preferably you should shield the cable thoroughly.

Alternatively you should also look into wireless outdoor speakers which will make the set up much more easier, more safe, less expensive and altogether less of a hazzle as you then wont need an amplifier to listen to your music. They are a more safe option as you will not have to run any cables outside. You will also be able to use them inside but they will limit your options if you decide to upgrade or change your system in the future.

Heres few that I found from ebay in less than 30sec:

http://global.ebay.com/Wireless_Outdoor_Speaker_System_ weatherproof_ipod_light

http://global.ebay.com/ACOUSTIC_WIRELESS_INDOOR_OUTDOOR_ SPEAKER_900_MHZ_NEW

http://global.ebay.com/ADVENT_WIRELESS_INDOOROUTDOOR_ SPEAKERS_AND_TRANSMITTER

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us