Who said don't buy a reciever for music?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2237
It is common practice here to criticise recievers for a music system. Here is one that may be an exception - if your wallet is fat enough.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/_ugc/file/avr600wsr-web.pdf

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9883
Arcam has long been an exception for most of us. However they are usually so expensive that buying a good integrated is costs. The Arcam receivers I've listened to were very good with music.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2663
My dealer sells Arcam stuff. I've always been pretty impressed with the sound and build quality.

What's the sticker price on one of those M.R.?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2238
I think around 5 grand US. It's about 8 here.
Way out of my league.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12635
I look twice when I see an AR300 or 350 on the block, for sure.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2567
Yup, Arcam make some of the best sounding AVR's with an Music first philosophy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12640
How dear in the UK???

Frank?!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12641
some of the prices are absolutely astounding!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 2109
I agree Arcams AVR's sound very good,but even with their 2-channel stuff they sound somewhat polite and kind of light in the bass.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3335
Here's what seems to be 2 great stereo receivers...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MDMD209

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MDMD309

Their last receiver was co-developed with Simaudio. Not sure if these are as well.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2668
Man, those are nice looking!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2241
Yeah, I've seen their stuff before (on-line) and have been very impressed.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9896
I've had the pleasure of using one of those Magnum Dynalab receivers (a generation before the ones pictured). They sound very nice. Much more like a very good integrated amps. It was driving ProAc's and Spendor's.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3664
The Arcam costs £3500 in the UK so $5k is about right. I disagree with Tawaun about Arcam bass. If anything, I think that Arcam have traditionally had too much bass and have only started to remove that extra cloying warmth for a more sensible bass presentation. But then, you yanks love your fat bass.

The AVR600 is an excellent machine, no question (yes, we have one in the shop). Would I spend my money that way, possibly not. I'd probably go for a cheaper AV receiver such as an Onkyo TX-SR876 with a dedicated 2-channel amplifier to drive the front speakers for pure analogue. But anyone not able to spare the 3 shelves and with that kind of budget would be a fool not to at least consider the Arcam. I still think it's an expensive proposition in comparison to the competition, but musically it's certainly one of the contenders for 'best in its category'.

Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2720
I've never had a problem with receivers for music :-)

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2219
Me neither. I use an AVR for music as well as HT (hk avr-325 and soon an hk avr-254). As long as the speaker isn't too much of a wild load, and then just use the pre-outs with an external amp. Not very audiophile of me, I know.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13143
A receiver serves it's purpose, and there are some good ones out there, to be sure.
The beakdown/cost/necissity factor comes in.
If I still ran a 5.1, I would not do it with amps, just a receiver. 4000$? Nope.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3770
Most people compare multichannel receivers to like-priced 2-channel amplifiers. In that situation, it seems reasonable that the similarly priced 2-channel unit will sound better since you've spent a lot more money per component and you've been able to spend more R&D hours on each section of the unit. By spreading the cost between 78 channels of power and a geometric rise in complexity, you've diluted the value of each section.

Even if you compared cheaper stereon units to the AV receivers, the very complexity of the system makes it much harder to control noise and heat, optimise pathways for sonics etc. The AV receiver is the jack of all trades and master of none. A trade-off has to occur, even at the AV high end. It's life.

This doesn't mean all AV receivers are rubbish, just that they are more compromised than dedicated 2-channel solutions. So, if someone mentions that music is important to them, it makes a lot more sense to split the solution two ways, a cheaper AV receiver and separate 2-channel amplifier for music replay, preferably with dedicated CD player/turntable, but not many people will countenance two mplifier boxes, let alone the multiple silver disc spinners (DVD/BD box and separate CD player).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13170
Single guys can do that

Lets face it, 98% of people own and enjoy receivers, it is just the 'fringe' music hobbyists that get nose deep in the system.

So live and let live. Or live and let die, on vinyl(good soundtrack).

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10522
Some married guys can do it to...

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2810
...and some can't.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10526
So true Chris.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13180
First point taken, Art.

That's my only strong suit, so I run with it, LOL!

A decent receiver/speaker setup is going to sound good to 98% of the folks out there.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2397
Yeah, unfortunately the other 2% are deaf.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1298
the B&K receiver I heard a couple of years ago sounded great. I was really pleased with it. Granted, it was quite expensive.

Here is the latest version on the B&K website.

http://www.bkcomp.com/products/home-theatre/?tx_ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=36&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=35&tx_ttproducts_pi1[cat]=3&cHash=7317c9 27a4

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13190
Still great B&K stuff around.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3781
A decent receiver/speaker setup is going to sound good to 98% of the folks out there.

What's worse, 80% of those 98% won't discern a difference between your beuatifully put together separates system and their $800 stack.

And that really saddens me...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13202
98% of the time...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us