Stanley Turrentine - The Souful Saxophone Of Stanley Turrentine
CD

M - 5.0
S - 4.8

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1129
I'll bet that Gdansk sounds fabulous thru them tubes, Mike.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1130
Dire Straits - Making Movies vinyl

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1956
You'd win that bet. UNBELIEVABLY tight and accurate is the easiest way to describe the recordings. There were parts I liked on these LPs being live then there were other parts I liked better on the Echoes remaster vinyl, "Comfortably Numb" for example.

I know you know what I mean stryvn. The further I go into Gilmour's work the more I was enjoying it.

Pink - Funhouse (again)
CD

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1132
Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1960
Carly Simon - No Secrets
180 gram vinyl

I get Elusive Disk emails ever since I bought the Gilmour at Gdansk from them. That is where I found this. The music is very detailed and livelier than I remember it being. Then again so is the album cover.

M - 4.4
S - 4.7

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13620

Sonny Boy Wiliamson With the Yardbirds; mono LP

Recorded live in 1963 at the Crawdaddy Club in London. The Yardbirds were very young and didn't realize they were playing with Sonny Boy "II" and not the original Williamson who had died several years earlier. After a short rehearsal the set begins as Williamson begins to rearrange both the songs and the order of performance adding pieces that were never rehearsed. Since Sonny Boy seems to be there only to make a paycheck the attraction of this album is to hear the young Eric Clapton make the best of the situation as the band tries to follow along with a performer who isn't strictly tied to playing 12 bar blues in 12 bars. This is from a double set that also includes early live Yardbirds recordings with the original band members.

M; 4.5
S; 3.5

Joe Cocker, I Can Stand a Little Rain LP

I've had this album for so long and played it so often I don't remember a time when I didn't love this music. Alcohol and cigarette fueled vocals surrounded by outstanding performances and captured in an excellent recording for any time period let alone this one, this is IMO Cocker's best. The CD is equally as good in many ways but the LP is still the better choice. Highly recommended.

M; 5
S; 4.5

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Stand-Little-Rain-Cocker/dp/B00166G7K4

Harry Belfonte Belafonte Sings the Blues mono LP

Recorded in 1958 when Ray Charles was the closest thing to "the blues" for most of the folks who were buying this album and when neither Belafonte nor Charles could actually sit at the same table with some of the folks who were buying this album.

M; 4
S; 4

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9591
Russell Gunn - Mood Swings

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9593
Tom Harrell - Passages

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9594
Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band - Season of Changes

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9596
Enrico Rava Quintet - The Words and The Days

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9597
Blue Note 7 - Mosaic

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9598
Irvin Mayfield and Ellis Marsalis - Love Songs, Ballads and Standards

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9599
Roy Hargrove Quintet - With The Tenors of our Time

Herbie Hancock/Wayne Shorter/Ron Carter/Wallace Roney/Tony Williams - A Tribute to Miles

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9601
Stefon Harris - African Tarantella

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1133
Audioslave - Out of Exile

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9602
Eddie Henderson - Heritage

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9604
Greg Osby - Public

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9605
Roy Haynes - When it's Haynes it Roars!

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1134
Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams

This sounds great on the Mac/Paradigm, Nick.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9607
Blossom Dearie - Verve Jazz Masters 51

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9608
Dexter Gordon - Tower of Power

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9609
Lee Morgan - The Rajah

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9610
Chico Freeman - The Pied Piper

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9612
Jim Hall - Concierto

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9613
Milt Jackson - Live at The Museum Of Modern Art 1965

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9614
Milt Jackson - Sunflower

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9615
Cal Tjader - Plays the Contemporary Music of Mexico and Brazil

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9616
Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9617
Stanley Turrentine - A Bluish Bag

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9618
Stanley Turrentine - Dearly Beloved

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9619
Jimmy Smith & Wes Montgomery - Jimmy & Wes The Dynamic Duo

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13626

Since I haven't been paying attention to his thread, maybe someone can answer a question.

Are we supposed to run to the computer to post every forty mintues after we've completed each album?

Is this a contest?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2598
It depends on the length of the album Jan.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12429
I read a lot of new names that I will try to keep in my head next time I shop.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13627

"It depends on the length of the album Jan."

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1962
Journey - Escape
Vinyl

Jane's Addiction - Nothing Shocking
180gr Rhino Vinyl

M - 4.0
S - 4.9

Silver Member
Username: Sem

NY/CA USA

Post Number: 887
Are we supposed to run to the computer to post every forty mintues after we've completed each album?

I'd actually be posting more often but a lot of my LP's skip.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12431
So SEM, it is

M 4.5 .5 .5 .5

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13628

"I'd actually be posting more often but a lot of my LP's skip."

Now that would be worth seeing! Do they run too or only skip? Do the hokey-pokey?

The Lent season Friday fish fries are at the local Catholic grade school cafeteria and when I was picking up a few sandwiches I saw a sign that read, "No skipping allowed". I couldn't remember the last time I even thought about skipping.

It makes ya feel old.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9623
On days off I turn off the computer once during the day but it runs the rest of the time and I post the albums as I Iisten. Sometimes at the beginning sometimes the middle and sometimes at the end...if it's real close to the end of an album I wait and post the last one and the next one. Often I don't post what I'm listening to at all...not being much of a typist it's a bit time consuming to post classical selections so I only post those occasionally...or on the weekend when my wife and I are up late rockin' out or listening to singer/songwriters I don't always post what I'm listening to. I also post the selections over at AK. They have several forums for different genre's. Very interesting to see what folks over there are listening to...I really enjoy this thread...liked it even better when Kevin Corr was a regular here. I like your selections as well Jan.

I don't read the opinions but I think they will be useful for folks looking to learn about the music. I usually only post the names and that's all I'm looking at on other posts...if I see something that looks interesting I just do a little bit of independent research and get more info...fun thread, glad it's here.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2195
I know this isn't my thread, but quite honestly Art, I see nothing interesting in a performer and album name - I really don't see the point. If someone gives a review, or at least a score for music and SQ then at least we can get an idea if such performer/album may be worth pursuing - especially if good scores/reviews appear a few times from different members. Just my 2 cents.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9625
You were the first person on this thread to start a debate over the quality of other folks preferences which was the stated at the beginning to be taboo.

This isn't the only forum with a play list...just the only one I know of where folks feel compelled to question others. If you don't find it interesting or simply don't want to do any research then you should post and view elsewhere. This thread was started as a playlist by Gavin at my suggestion...don't enjoy it, don't view it.

BTW there is another thread relative to reference pieces, sounds like that is more your cup-o-tea.

Personally I enjoy a playlist...If I want to know more then I simply use a search engine.

Listening to Slacker radio Contemporary Jazz station and getting ready for a morning walk.

Again, I really enjoy this thread. I'm sorry that you feel compelled to criticize it MR. I'll do my best not to crap on your threads and would be thankful if you would extend the same courtesy.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9626
Sorry for the rant...I feel strongly that this thread should be enjoyed in whatever way you want to enjoy it...nuff said. Back to the playlist.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9628
Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13629

I was enjoying myself.

But then someone had to go and get all paranoid that people were talking about him.

Relax, Art, we can ignore what we don't care for and read what we do. It just makes it more time consuming to go through 62 posts in a weekend with nothing but names of albums with one each post. Kinda like a little kid running into the room to tell me what letters he found in his box of AlphaBits - one at a time.

Here's why I thought providing information on the album was worth the effort; it saves you time.

Yeah, I can look at 62 posts during a weekend with nothing but names, but, why? If I'm interested in Herbie Hancock, I'll have researched Herbie Hancock. If someone tells me a certain Hancock album is not, in their opinion, worth the effort, I won't bother with it unless I'm fairly certain my tastes and those of the poster are diametrically opposed. I can't make that decision unless I know more about the poster and their taste and concept of quality. Providing a brief score or review of the album helps enormously in that regard.

If a hifi reviewer says they loved a piece of equipment in their system and I know I wouldn't choose the components they own for my own system, then I have a far better idea of what this component under review might sound like when I read how wonderful the soundstage was with such and such in the system.

But I have other things to do with my time than chase down every album someone says they listened to. And for what? Ten second snippets of a song on Amazon?

You listened but you really can't take ten seconds to put a number on the music and sound quality?! Geez!

This is no different than reading a review anywhere else. If the magazine reviewer says they listened to this CD and that CD but doesn't comment any further on those CD's, I don't care anymore about those CD's than I did before I wasted the time reading that the guy or gal just listened to them.

If I read that such and such an album is great music or has some certain significance but not so great sound quality, then I can make a more informed decision regarding whether to spend any more time and certainly any money on this album. If I see great music and very good sound and I like the artist or the genre, then I have a more concise search to deal with, particularly if I am not familiar with the artist.

If that information bores you, then don't read it.

It takes less time for you to skip a four sentence review in this thread than it takes me to run a search on each album someone says they just listened to but didn't think enough of to post a single comment.

Just posting titles seems to make this a competition for who can listen to the most albums and I do have more interesting and necessary things to do than that.

That's just my opinion and you guys get to do whatever you want. But IMO also, just posting names one after the other after the other in separate posts is sort of like posting the Dewey Decimal system numbers between 681.J0824 and 682.O726 individually and saying I listened to those this weekend.

I guess if you're after platinum status, you get there however you can. Big whoop!

I will appreciate the additional information if you can take a moment to provide it. After reading what one person thinks over the course of a few albums I might be familiar with, I get a good sense of whether or not to take that person's opinion of music more seriously or whether I can pay less attention to the one member who has an entire collection of Tibetan Nose Music played on the original instruments.

But if just posting how many albums you listened to in a weekend is what floats your boat - Hey, Ralphie Boy, let's get back to the playlist.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9630
Playlists are quite common on other forums and are enjoyed by most folks. I receive frequent emails about my playlist and have made many friends on other forums based on similar musical interests....that this forum has a different take on it doesn't concern me.

There is a section here at ecoustics for music but it was long since taken over by kids who wanted to argue more than post about music. A dedicated music section is a wonderful resource as it allows for a playlist section as well as a place for more detailed threads about specific music. A nice move here would be to move a music forum to the Home Audio section so that we could have that flexibility.

Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13630

Art, stop being so paranoid and defensive. And why is it always about how many emails you receive? What is that supposed to prove?

And it's Paul "Motian", pronounced with a soft "ti" sound - almost rhyming it with "ocean". He's a wonderful drummer, one of my favorites, who I first found when he played in the early Bill Evans Trio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Motian#With_Bill_Evans

Have a great holiday weekend, Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9631
This is why internet forums don't foster the best communication from any of us. My last post was not at all intended as defensive but instead as constructive.

BTW I do know how to spell Paul Motian's name, just a mistake. I have quite a bit of his music and enjoy him very much. I'll correct it above. Oh and have a great weekend as well Jan.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9632
Dexter Gordon - Gettin' Around

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13631

It'll be constructive.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9633
John Coltrane - Blue Train

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2520
I love you Art. You sexy beast. You are the music god.

FWIW Art has supplied about 80 percent of this forum's music. Bravo man. Music is in this guys blood.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9634
Thanks Nick...

It's a beautiful day here in Albany. Close to opening a nice bottle of Willamette Valley Muller-Thurgau and listen to...

Sara Gazarek - Yours

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2196
Jeez Art, have a cup of tea and settle down. Why is it that you think by giving an album a score it is criticising your music?

Are you not big enough and old enough now to understand we all have different tastes? If someone says they don't like such and such an album and you do - big bl00dy deal - why would that bother you? It's not a slight against you or anyone - it's just a person's opinion for heaven's sake.

Jeez whiz Art - sexy beast and music god?

Heavens to mergatroid!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2197
Oh - and by the way Art - you criticised my amplifier on more than one occasion by saying you don't care for Music Fidelity.

Now I cry my myself to sleep every night.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2602
Come on guys, group hug ok?

Nick, are you into the rye again? How come you never call me a sexy beast?

I'm jealous.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2521
LOL Forty Creek David. I bet its as beautiful outside today in Ottawa as it is in Kingston???

....now for a nap. * Group hug like David said,lol, I can feel the love guys, feel the love*

;)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9636
Looks like your riled up again MR...

Next up..

Tierney Sutton - I'm with The Band

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2603
40 Creek rocks Nick. I think I have a bottle in my cupboard.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2198
It would take more than your sillyness to rile me, Art.

I just find you unfathomable at times

And I hate that album.

Almost forgot -

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13632

"And I hate that album."

ROTFLMF'ing AO!!!!!!!!!

Priceless!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2522
David- Old Forty is the best man. Cheers to that.

Jan,Art,M.R - FWIW I have no idea what is going on right now in this thread. lol. I would go back a bit and read up on what the small *tiff* is about but instead I am going to listen to some tunes.lol.

RED-INNOCENCE & INSTINCT

Rev Theory- "Far From Over|

Powerman 5000 - "Supernova"

Dope - "Addiction"

Then I am going to move on to some : Five Finger Death Punch. ( David you check these guys out yet) * Hard as FU$#K boys, PEACE!! - J-Roc, Trailor Park Boys. :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9640
Stacey Kent - Breakfast on the Morning Tram

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9641
Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie

Silver Member

NY/CA USA

Post Number: 888
Boz Scaggs s/t cd (1969) - A very good cd by the ex member of the Steve Miller Band, William Royce (Boz) Scaggs. My first introduction to Scaggs was back in the 70's when Lido Shuffle hit the airwaves. Due to radio over-play I came to detest the song and Boz Scaggs. Fast forward to the mid-late 90's, late one Sunday night as I was flipping through the radio stations while driving from Houston to Austin TX. On comes Scaggs version of Fenton Robinson's "Loan Me A Dime" and I was blown away. Some tasty, tasty guitar playing by the late Duane Allman, along with Scaggs soulful, bluesy vocals prompted me to run out and buy the cd the next day. That song alone was worth the price of the disc which is, as I've said, very good. After that I found a new appreciation of Scaggs and I've picked up a few more of his releases, all of which I've really come to enjoy.
(and the good thing is it doesn't skip).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9643
The Boz Scaggs DVD is one of my favorite performance DVD's. His latest album is very well judged IMO as well.

Holly Cole - Dark Dear Heart

Silver Member

NY/CA USA

Post Number: 889
The Boz Scaggs DVD is one of my favorite performance DVD's.

I remember someone else saying the same thing, (MR perhaps?). I'll have to put that on my list. Thanks Art.

Silver Member

NY/CA USA

Post Number: 890
Just put on Burton Cummings - Above The Ground - A very nice cd from one of the most underrated (pop-rock) songwriter/vocalists of the past 40 years - IMO. I've always been a BC fan and ordered this as soon as I saw it a couple months ago. 75mins/19 songs and not a bad one to be found. What a fun listen.

Related note - any of our neighbors to the north have, or know where I can get Cummings' older cd, "Plus Signs" without selling a kidney to do so? I think it's long OOP.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9644
Shelby Lynne - I am Shelby Lynne

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1967
Reference music all day long. I am messing around again with my stuff...

No surprise their eh?

What I am finding out is that I always felt from listening to JV's kit and my kit when I had my solid state amp that non-amplified music was the domain of tubes and solid state would take care of the amplified music with all its distortion and what have you.

Let me tell you that today I just found out I could not be more wrong.

Where were all of you tube talkers?

Couldn't someone point out to me that if you can tame the room tubes could do Rock if not as good but better than solid state?

I am in rock and rock bliss tonight with PF - Animals and Led Zeppelin - ZOSO

All set up by using my reference material to dial things in. Sweet!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1968
Tool - 10,000 Days
CD

At least until my wife gets home from her hair appointment.

Danny Carey is one of the all time great drummers as evidenced on this work. Justin Chancellor, bassist, also deserves praise for his performance here. See my post on "Reference..." for more details.

M - 4.4
S - 4.5

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9645
What...Mike messin' around with his stuff...nah..lol!

Chris Isaak - Baja Sessions

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9646
Chris Isaak - San Francisco Days

Gold Member

Post Number: 2523
The whole Tool band are crazy talented. Drummer, bassist, guitarist. The most talented of them all though is Mannard(singer). His brain is a work of art. To write that stuff, you have to be either brilliant or just mental.lol.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9647
Lucinda Williams - Essence

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9648
Michel Camilo - Triangulo

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9649
Dave Holland Quintet - Critical Mass

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9650
Dave Holland Big Band - What Goes Around

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9651
Spyro Gyra - The Very Best Of

A little funk for some back patio listening on this gorgeous Memorial Day here in Albany.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9652
Stayin' funky!

The Brecker Brothers - Sneakin' Up Behind You/The Very Best Of

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9653
Keepin' that Holiday groove goin'!

Jason Miles - 2 Grover with Love

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9654
Jason Miles - To Grover with Love

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13635
This weekend I listened to ...

Keb' Mo'; Just Like You, CD
http://www.amazon.com/Just-Like-You-Keb-Mo/dp/B000002BAQ

A contemporary blues artist who has more than sufficient blues power for Martin Scorsese's "Best of the Blues" series (http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Scorsese-Presents-Best-Blues/dp/B0000AOV6M), this CD is bluesy enough to have Bonnie Raitt as a guest artist and folksy enough to have Jackson Browne alongside of her. Keb'Mo' charts his own course with his blues and if you're looking for Buddy Guy/Chicago Style House Rockin' Blues, then you'd best look elsewhere. This is music to sit and listen to for at least the first two times around - then turn up the volume and enjoy the music.

The recording reminded me very much of the Direct to Master Discs that were coming out of Japan in the late 1970's & '80's. Super clean and out the whazoo dynamics with full, tight bass and an impressive soundstage this is a top notch recording and a Grammy Award winner to boot.

M; 4.5
S; 4.5 (Downgraded from 5.0 due only to the obvious studio construction of the album, otherwise, for a studio production, 5.0 all the way and an impressive 5.0 at that)

T-Bone Walker; Mean Old World, mono CD
http://www.amazon.com/T-Bone-Blues-Walker/dp/B000002I7E
A compilation and remastering disc comprising twenty years of Walker's recorded history this disc utlizes the OWE technology; http://www.ourworldnet.com/main/techno.htm, to obtain very good archival sound. Walker, recognized as "The Godfather of Electric Blues Guitar", came out of the Texas Blues tradition combining Country Blues, New Orleans Jazz and Big Band Swing into a style that was uniquely his own. Playing his guitar behind his back, between his legs or with his teeth, Walker was a consumate showman and two decades later an inspiration to those who heard his music on scratchy 78's, read about his exploits and decided they too wanted to be a Guitar God.

Walker was also the first of the Country Blues artists to head out to Los Angeles in 1934 where his overwhelming popularity and money making draw allowed him to be instrumental in integrating black and white audiences and transcending "race" music.

Everyone should get to know T-Bone Walker.

M; 4.0 (This is a good set but omits several of Walker's biggest hits, most notably his masterpiece "Call It Stormy Monday".)
S; 4.0

Blind Pig Records 25th Anniversary Collection, three CD set
It took me the weekend to get through this set since I repeated several selections multiple times along the way. BP has more than one Anniversary Collection to choose from, I have three and they all represent some of the best blues collections you can find. Similar to Alligator and Rhino Records, BP puts together in one place a group of the finest working musicians the major labels won't touch. Unlike Rhino and more similar to the Alligator Records catalog, BP records hard working, travelling the country to play whenever they get the chance musicians and only occasionally sells on past catalogs.

This particular Collection includes Arthur Adams, Magic Slim, Tommy Castro and Delbert McClinton, Jonny Shines and Pinetop Perkins among the artists who work the clubs and bars hundreds of nights a year and record regularly for Blind Pig. A wonderful "Last Chance" performed by George "Harmonica" Smith is worth the price of the disc.

Blind Pig Records came out of the successful Detroit blues bar Blind Pig Cafe and this Collection includes flavors of Funk and R&B, Memphis Soul and hard Blues Rock that make it somewhat unlike the other BP Collections I own. Still there is no shortage of Stratocasters on this CD along with the Telecasters, LP's, ES335's and J-200's and even a twelve string Resonator played with a real cut off the bottle neck slide so you'll find more than one something to suit your taste on this CD. Listen and choose which BP disc suits your tastes but I would recommend all of their catalog as a beginning point on modern day, working the crowds Blues Power.

M; 4 to 5 (depending on the artist, the selection and your taste)
S; 4.5

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Records-25th-Anniv-Collection/dp/B00005OR8P

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12447
Nice rundown JV.

Rush...Moving Pictures on webradio

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 736
Brad Mehldau - Songs, The Art of the Trio, Volume 3

Back from Alaska -- 14 days of sun from Fairbanks to Vancouver. Unbelievable.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 737
Pat Metheny Group - We Live Here

Bronze Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 93
Can anyone recommend something similar to John Abercrombie - The Third Quartet or Charles Lloyd - Sangam (most notably the song itself). I really love that sort of percussive groove that backbones these sorts of albums.

On a side note. For anyone that loves Zappa. Camarillo Brillo. That is another song, on a completely different note, that has a nice drum sound I like (recording technique?). Also, just try and say you don't love the little piano accent at about 0:53. "She said she was a magic mama"...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13641

""She said she was a magic mama"..."

Sounds like a friend talking about his new gun.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9667
I have a bunch of ECM albums at home with a similar aesthetic Kirk and I'll look at 'em either this evening or over the weekend and post them for you.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9668
Kirk here a few of my favorites with a bit of an international flavor and a somewhat similar aesthetic to what you mentioned...they come in a number of different instrumentation combo's.

Jan Garbarek/Ustad Fateh Ali Khan & Musicians from Pakistan - Ragas and Sagas

Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Holon

Ketil Bjornstad/Terje Rypdal - Life in Leipzig

Anouar Brahem, John Surman, Dave Holland - Thimar

Marilyn Mazur/Jan Garbarek - Elixir

Manu Katche - Neighborhood

Trygve Seim - Sangam

Tomasz Stanko Quartet - Suspended Night

Miroslav Vitous - Universal Syncopations II

Miles From India

These are all outstanding cd's that have received multiple plays here and they are all very different from one another and from what you posted but they have a similar eclectic international aestehic...check 'em out...tell me which ones you like and which ones you don't and we can break it down even more.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9669
Listening to...

The Blue Note 7 - Mosaic

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9670
e.s.t (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) - Tuesday Wonderland

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9671
Bobby Hutcherson - Head On

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 738
Brad Mehldau Trio - Day is Done

Has anyone heard the new Melody Gardot CD? Impressions?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2207
Ray Sings - Basie Swings

Always meant to get this CD and got it for a song from the bargain bin.

To cut a long story short, John Burk of A&R came across some old tapes marked Ray Charles and Count Basie and he put them into his machine as soon as he could only to be disappointed by the poor sound quality. What he heard were actually separate recordings from live shows in Europe during the 70's, they weren't playing together and were recorded straight from the concert mixing board. But this allowed Ray's voice to dominate the instruments.

As producer of Genius Loves Company, he knew Ray and was very familiar with his work and he had an idea he couldn't let go. The story is an interesting one (well worth the reading on the cd booklet) and too long to put here, but it was a rather mammoth effort to take the best of Ray's songs from these tapes and put his voice with the Basie Orchestra some thirty years later. A recording that on both SACD and CD, has had numerous accollades regarding both the music and the exceptional recording quality.

I don't believe in a perfect score, but considering what was behind the recording, its sound quality, the music and last but not least, the genius of Ray Charles, to heck with it:

M - 5
S - 5
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us