My review of the athena ls 300

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11506
Well I got my athenas and i must say they are built to stay under control at all times. While the bass isnt the strongest. I believe its because they need the upper end of their 200 rms rating to shine. Im giving them 100 rms a channel right now. For a speaker that has one 6.5 and a tweeter they certainly hold their own and id bet they would shine much more with another 100 watts each.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2537
Sean- congrats on the new speakers. What is the sensitivity of your speakers? ( db? ohms?) If they are an easy load another 100 watts isn't going to do anything. Worry about getting better quality watts instead of just more bud. Let us know. Again, congrats on the purchase. I also see you have the warfadales coming. Nice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11514
Specifications
Design: 6-½" 2-Way Curved Cabinet Floorstanding Speaker
Features: Magnetically Sheilded Components
Tweeter: 1" (25mm) Aluminum Dome
Woofer: 6-½" (16.5cm) Composite Fiberglas Cone
Frequency Response: 38 Hz -- 20 kHz
Typical Room Sensitivity: 89 dB
Power Handling: 200 Watts
Dimensions -- Standard:
(Height x Depth x Width) 34.7" x 11" x 9.7"
Dimensions -- Metric:
(Height x Depth x Width) 88cm x 28cm x 24.5cm
Weight -- Standard:
(1 Unit / Unit(s) In Carton) 28.2 lbs / 34.2 lbs
Weight -- Metric:
(1 Unit / Unit(s) In Carton) 12.8 kg / 15.5 kg
Finishes: Black Ash

Im almost positive they are 8 ohm speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2538
Not the easiest speaker I have seen to power, but not a difficult load by any means. 100 watts should be lots. Remember, doubling your wattage output only increases the volume by 3db. Yes, for harder to power speakers having the extra headroom will allow for a more dynamic sound during peak levels. But I just cant see these speakers ever needing 100 watts of power. You will blow your ear drums before getting there.
Wattage specifications on speakers are an absolute useless number. Never go by it. Its just there as a guideline and marketing purposes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2539
I believe you are using an Onkyo receiver correct? I think I saw a few threads in the Receiver area about side stepping into a Marantz brand for more power and stepping up the ladder to a higher level Onkyo. I prefer the Onkyo brand but to each their own. Not an upgrade IMO.

If the first watt sucks then why have 200 of them?lol. Wattage ratings doesn't mean jack when it comes to the sound of an amplifier. Would you buy a 200 watt Sony? Look up the ladder into the entry level Hi Fi stuff like NAD, ROTEL, Cambridge Audio, Outlaw Audio and so on. I would take 20 watts amps from either of those companies then a 100 watt mass marketed unit. Cheers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11526
Well the sound just doesnt come out level wise were id like it until the upper volume ranges. I thought it was just a matter of head room. But now your telling me its the quality of the amp at fault.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11527
Im skipping the Marantz because of Arts input and go with just an amp and no tuner. Ill keep the onkyo for 5.1 surround. I dont like the newer surround sound onkyo lines either compared to the older series.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2223
Speaker placement could also be an issue - google those two words for info. Placement and room treatments can go a long way to acquiring good sound. But I agree with Nick about good watts - and not too many receivers deliver them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2542
Yup. Any AVR/Receiver IMO suffers from a lack of musicality and low level detail. For example: When listening to music in my theater with two NAD AVR's its almost like you cant hear the music hardly unless its a mid to high volume level. I just couldn't fully enjoy the music unless it was cranked. When I put together the two channel system with Bryston amps the level of detail at low levels was amazing. I no longer had to crank the music to hear what I was missing on the AVR's.

IMO where you need to go is a little Integrated amp. Nothing crazy expensive, but with no tuner, just a pre and amp section. Integrated. Musically an integrated amp blows away any surround sound AVR or receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2543
M.R adds a very good point. Speaker placement, and room treatment combined is probably 65 percent to what kind of sound your system will have.

Arts recommendation is the right one for sure- Integrated Amp all the way. Look at some hi fi brands. Nothing crazy. Cheers

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11528
You no exactly where im coming from the way you described the volume levels. And yes my ears were ringing some from the volume I had the athenas at today. Thats not a good thing. I want to keep my hearing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2546
You are suffering from a case of "Surround sound receiver=not good for music" sickness. Keep the Onkyo as it is a great surround sound piece.*** My NAD's sound amazing to my ears for movies.***

Then use a integrated for a dedicated two channel system. Sweetness.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11531
Now that im learning that probably is the case.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2550
See that your going to a NAD 372. Congrats Sean. Nice piece of equipment.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11535
Thanks Nick. I figured id go with the extra power just in case.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9737
That NAD ought to do the job! I really could use more power than Creek has to hear the Evo's at their best. Hmm perhaps a new Roksan Kandy...nah not for now anyway.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12529
Thats a pretty good entry level piece Sean, it can play the tough loads and play pretty well.
You can try lots of placement with your selection of speakers and find what you like.

Now about your source...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9739
ummhmm...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12533
How about a Nad 542 cdp, bought real cheap for Sean?

Sean, can you solder, or is it time to buy an ironand learn?
You will be making good cables soon, hehe

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9742
Or buying some as good cables don't have to cost a bundle.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11538
"Now about your source..."

I just ordered a Denon-DVD-1940CI the other day explain to me what im looking for in a stand up cd player if I switch up in the future.

"Sean, can you solder, or is it time to buy an ironand learn?
You will be making good cables soon, hehe"

I have a soldering iron somewhere and ive wanted to learn how to make my own cables. I will buy some to start if there not too expensive.

"How about a Nad 542 cdp, bought real cheap for Sean?"

I saw this cd player is $500 whats in it that makes it a good buy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11539
Heres one reason i can see you suggesting the nad 542 cdp 150 ohms
nad c521bee 300 ohms

Many audiophiles are not aware that the performance gap between what they hear in the shop and what they hear at home is a direct result of impedance mismatching between the new machine and the rest of their system. Impedance matching is a complex technical issue in audio design. What makes it worse, is that the same manufacturer can have different output / input (I/O) impedance standards across their range of products. (See table below).

While some manufacturers are willing to disclose the I/O impedance figures, most are not too keen. The end result is an audio market full of confusion, myth and plenty of frustration. Unless the entire audio system is from the same manufacturer within the same product line it is highly likely that impedance mismatching will exist. Most audiophiles are paying 100% for their systems but are only hearing 70% of its full potential.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11540
It seems the NAD C545BEE replaced the c542 I saw the specs on the c542 and i can see why you recommended it. If the c545bee is better than the c542 was thats what im going to buy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2557
For the money Sean any of the NAD cdp's are a great buy. And since you have the 372 now, a NAD cdp to match is a no brainer.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3327
If you want a CD player, an NAD is a no brainer. All their CDPs are excellent for the money. I own the Denon 1930 DVD player (or is it the 1940?). Its a very good DVD player, but not a good CD player. It sounds dull and boring to my ears. I haven't tried DVD-A, SACD, multi-channel music, etc. because I don't own any.

I'd personally look into setting up a music server. Store the music (uncompressed) on your computer and use an external DAC. There are a ton of ways of doing this, but in the end the main criteria in which one to use is how you want to access your music.

Things like the Apple TV, Wadia iTransport, Squeezebox, and Sonos are really changing the way people listen to their music. And for the better IMO.

Just some food for thought.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11541
I dont see and cdp models just the bee line.

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm?gclid=CLa7-Jms8poCFRK1FQod61Iddg

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11542
I ordered the C545BEE and nad even gave me a discount of $50 off the unit for buying two pieces from them recently.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12538
Nice!
Now look at Bluejeans cable so set it all up!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9749
I agree with the Nuck...time to link it all up and Blue Jeans is a cost effective way to do it right.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11544
I found the blue jeans site but im new to this so im not sure what I need. Can someone point them out for me.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9751
Canare 4S11 biwire cable for speakers and LC-1 interconnects.

Make sure to get the speaker cable runs long enough (but without a lot of excess).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12542
and no ends, just use bare wire
Ok, maybe the speaker end, just to be flexible.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2625
I've been pretty happy with my Blue Jeans Ten White runs. I'm also using the LC-1 IC's too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11545
Two strands of wire ordered and one LC-1 interconnect.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2626
Cool. Where did you buy the Athenas Sean? Future Shop here in Canada used to sell them, but they stopped about a year and half ago.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11546
I got one off of audio advisor and another off a shop on amazon. I got some warfedales 10's to compare them too but im thinking it will end up that i sell the athenas.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11548
I was thinking and I realized im going to need speaker stands. I ordered some atlantis 20" stands. I figured they were good stands and for $49 a pair plus shipping the price seemed right.

http://www.spearitsound.com/atlantis/atlantis_home.asp

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9770
24 inch would likely have been ideal but 20 will do.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11552
After thinking about it your right im going to cancel the atlantis and go for some 24 inchers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11553
24" stands ordered.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12550
It is all coming together nicely Sean

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9774
I agree with Nuck...coming together nicely. Keep in mind that you will have break in/burn in time with all of your new stuff and won't hear it at it's best for several weeks. You live in PA don't ya? How long until you get your Wharfies?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11554
Thanks guys. I think they said tuesday.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12560
Warm up the Johnny Cash, Sean.

LOL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11556
No way haha. Im not really a country fan. The cds I have you guys probably havent heard of they are all christian music. Although I do plan on buying a few that arent.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12561
Dude check out the Johnny Cash collection, and the Carter famly stuff, there is a HUGE collection of christian music in there, and some of the all time classics.
And some of the best recordings that you can find.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11557
l will download some and check them out.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11558
Not for me.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12562
hehe, enjoy the music at any rate Sean.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12564
Elvis also has some very inspiring Gospal recordings...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9781
I love me some Johhny Cash and June Carter. The American recordings from Johnny are so moving that my save them for special times...same with Wilco. Nuck did you ever check out the Wilco DVD "Ashes of American Flags"...you must!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12566
i will Art, yours is not the only glowing review that I have seen.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11559
Im not into old time gospel Im into the modern stuff.

Amy grant
point of grace
avalon
even some chritian rap like t bone or gospel gangsters

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9782
To each his own I always say. Praise music, rap and contemporary christian, and contemporary country music are probably my least favorite. Love old country and alt country (whatever that means these days). Lots of music for each of us. Please post your playlist over on the music selections thread.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11561
Yup to each his own. Ill post on the music selection thread then.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9791
Thanks sean. It's always fun to see what others are listening to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us