Need Advice on Which One

Username: Nholmes8669

Post Number: 1
I am looking at 2 different recievers for my cabin up north. I found a pioneer vsx-505s and a pioneer vsx-605s both on craigslist for a decent price. My question is which one do you guys think is better and why? I can get the 505 for 65.00 and the 605 for 75.00. Thanks

PS I am running a pair of cerwin vega re 30 12" speakers....will either of these receivers handle these 4 ohm speakers?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13655

You really can't decide whether to spend $65 or $75?

Post Number: 2
Its not that I dont want to spend the money I was wondering which one was better and how?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13657

One has more features.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13658

And I wouldn't pair either of these with a four Ohm nominal load speaker.

Spend just a bit more cash.

Post Number: 3
Ok what would you recomend? Not looking for something real expensive...thanks

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13659

I have no idea. I haven't had anything to do with inexpensive receivers in decades. Why not start by buying an amplifier that indicates it can drive a four Ohm load?

Post Number: 4
Yeah I will look into one. But, don't ya need a receiver with a pre-out for an amp? I dont think most inexpensive recievers have these do they?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12519
Sure, nh, lots do, just have to check the models.

The last few Harmon Kardon models I saw had them.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13660

No, I probably shouldn't have typed "amplifier". The "power amplifier" is one portion of a receiver and it determines what the "receiver" will drive in a speaker load.

I'm not suggesting you buy a separate power amplifier if you aren't interested in the highest quality sound in this location. However, if you are not in need of a tuner function, you might consider one of the entry level NAD integrated amplifiers. They are a fair amount more than $75 though.

Otherwise, begin your search by finding out which receivers claim they can drive four Ohm loads. If you use this system as background music only - no loud volumes - then you can get by with a receiver that indicates it can drive a six Ohm load. An HK is a good place to begin. If your intention is to party, then you should be looking at a reasonably stout power amp whether it's built into a receiver, and integrated amp or a separate unit.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12524
If you can keep your hands away from the Bass knob, a decent HK might play them ok.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12525
10 yrs ago I had an HK AVR50 that handled low impedence speakers easily.

Post Number: 5
I'll have to check those out, thanks....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us