NAD TT - Rega or not?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 787
I came across this product, which looks a lot like a Rega P2 or for that matter my Goldring GR1.2:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/turntables/C555i-Turntable/images

Anybody know if NAD has a deal with Rega to build these much like Goldring did with the GR1.2?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13651

Lots of companies have a deal with Rega to use their designs.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9706
They used to have a Rega P2 in their lineup looks like they do again...as well as the P1.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3324
Other than a very old model or two, NAD's tables have always been re-badged Rega turntables. They appear to be the P1 and P2, but I'm not 100% sure. If you compare the NAD prices to the Rega prices, you should be able to decipher which is which.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2219
The motor is Goldring Electra - does Rega use these?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9707
The cartridge is an Electra on the 555i (P2) and Ortofon OM5SE on the 552 (P1). The P2 from Rega doesn't come with a cartridge but is often fitted with a Rega Bias, the Goldring Electra is a good fit as well. The P1 comes from the factory (or distributor) with the Ortofon cartridge.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2220
Yes, I misread the specs.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 789
Yes, I myself have a rega P2 clone, it's a Goldring GR1.2 which came fitted from the factory with a Goldring Electra cartridge. I'm sure the NAD 555i and my Goldring are virtually identical. From all I've read, they are P2's but built to lower standards i.e. higher tolerances are permitted in the bearing etc. Kind of like a B-stock P2, and I can attest to that with what I've seen in my table, but for those entering the phono world, they are hard to beat for value...getting you within 90% of the P2 for virtually half the price when you consider the cartridge costs. I had no idea NAD was doing that as well.

You learn something new in this hobby everyday.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us