Got new MA S8 and need help with setting up

Bronze Member
Username: Vasia

Post Number: 15
Hi guys,
After lengthy considerations, I have gotten Monitor AUdio SIlver 8s to go with my Marantz SR8330. Yesterday I have hooked them up using Sound King 12 ga wire and I have couple of questions.
1) The floor in my living rooms is a bit uneven and one of the speakers is visibly not standing perfectly vercally (not at the right angle to the floor and not quite parallel to the other speaker). Should I get a level and play around with the spikes to try to perfectly level speakers?
2) The bass of the speakers seem a bit tamer than what I remember at the dealer. I realize that S8s require long break-in (>60 hr), but I though it mostly tames gold tweeter. Would break-in affect bass as well and in which way?

felix
Unregistered guest
Hope this helps a little. I got my S8s about 2 months ago. From what I understand, the break-in will help loosen things up a little for smooth movement. This should help the bass out for you. Also, I have mine about 12 inches from the wall=placement will help. I have a Sony DA5ES receiver (I know, I know). I set the speakers to large on the receiver even though I have subwoofer. It sounds smoother to me; not as harsh.

I really like the S8s, but I did have to get used to them at home. The room is not very acoustic friendly. Huge sliding glass door, vaulted ceiling, hard, empty walls. Can't upgrade as it is a rental. Played around quite a bit with settings, DSPs, and eq. I guess my ears got used to the speakers, and I assume that break-in helped as well. Give it a while to get used to them. I don't use any DSPs now for music, just 2 fronts and the sub. Toned down the treble a bit and they sound great.

Pay attention to room dynamics as with mine, the room made them sound very bright. I'm guessing from your leveling problem that you don't have carpet. If that's correct, the floor will add to the bright sound. Leveling them does not sound like a bad idea. It may help with imaging if they're off by a lot.

I know that this isn't the most scientific response; just trying to help out. Good Luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hi Felix,
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I do have a carpet, but the subfloor is a bit uneven. The speakers do not sound bright, they sound quite smooth, just not as punchy.

felix
Unregistered guest
Sorry it took awhile to get back on this. I played with my stuff for awhile. I think break-in and placement will help you. Mine are starting to sound very nice in 2-channel, and I believe that they are/I am still breaking in. Bass is punchy, as the woofers have loosened upon break-in.

Like I said, they are about 12 inches from the wall due to room set-up, and one is kinda in a corner. I have one port closed on each. Sounded really smooth and punchy. I listen to rock for info.

I would give them a little more time for break-in and play with the placement to enhance bass performance. Let the woofers loosen up and use the room/walls to your advantage.

Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Felix,
Thank you for the comment. I already like how they sound and more and more so every day. I have not tried playing with the posrts yet, but I will.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 46
felix - what is the result of closing the port? more bass and less loud? (i thought the purpose of ports was to increase efficiency, ie, play louder w/a given volume; at the expense of bass. but i could be way off base, no pun intended)

Unregistered guest
Hi All

Did you have the chance to audition MA S8 with NAD receivers before you made a purchase? I auditioned them and they sounded wonderful, warmer and more detailed than with Denon, though a bit forward. How does this compare to Marantz? I think my preference would be for something warmer that does not lose the datil of the NAD. Would appreciate ur comments. Thanks a lot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us