Mini Bargain Standmount Speaker Shootout

Bronze Member
Username: Mordecai

Texas

Post Number: 95
Okay, I did a little speaker shootout Saturday for my benefit mostly. I'm rather new to 2.0 systems. I'm also not a professional reviewer so I may not articulate the qualities of each speaker with correctly. I will do my best. I made notes as I listened. This was not a side by side comparison either. I listened to each set of speakers using the same music and equipment for 60 minutes. Again, I made notes as I listened of my impressions.

The equipment, low end stuff mostly. I used an Onkyo 705, Panasonic BD35 BR player, Steel speaker stands filled with sand. Twelve gauge speaker wire with jumpers (no biwiring).

The Speakers -

Acculine A2 (5.25 MTM config with Planar Magnet tweeter). They sold for $350 for a pair but were sold separately. They are used as HT speakers.

Acculine A1 (same drivers as A2 but only one woofer). These sold for $249 a pair and are my rear speakers for HT.

Infinity Beta 20 - $120 for the pair

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 - $250 a pair at STO

I listened to selected cuts from film scores (Kingdom of Heaven and Two Weeks Notice) KOH has lots of instrument variation and TWN has piano and, guitar). I also listened to songs by Courtney Jaye, Ryan Adams, Lisa Loeb, and Ingrid Michaelson.

After four hours of listening (really enjoyed myself too) The Acculine A2 (first time listening to them on speaker stands, I will be buying some now) and the Diamond 9.1's were the best speakers. Both have fast tight bass, best imaging, and clarity with the 9.1's a tad softer sounding than the A2's. Both sound big and are extremly accurate (in my opinion) and have the largest sound stage. I found myself really enjoying listening to both. I strayed a little to listen to Kelly Clarkson's live piano version of Beautiful Disaster. Both speakers sounded like she was right in front of me. Those listening with me had the same experience. Both the A2 and 9.1's are excellent with acoustic music. Both have outstanding midbass.

Acculine A1's
They surprised me. I've never listened to either Acculine speaker in a 2.0 setup or on speaker stands. I was surprised at the bass these little speakers produced. Fast and tight. Excellent mid bass and the Planar Magnet tweeter is truly hard to beat. The speakers have great clarity, accuracy and good mid bass. They are forward but not to bright. I enjoyed listening to them but they have the thinnest sound of all the speakers. Not nearly as dynamic as the other speakers. There is a newer version A1 R available which provides a much better tweeter for a little more.

Beta 20's
The have the most bass but it is boomy and just not as tight as the A2's and 9.1's. They sound more neutral to me and a little warmer. I didn't hear as much detail probably because the mid bass is over powered. At times they sounded muddy.

Depending on your needs and listening preference all these speakers are affordable. The best bargain in my opinion is the Diamond 9.1's. Followed closely by the Acculine A2's because Planar Magnet tweeters are usually found in far more expensive speakers. I still like the Beta 20's because they sound large and produce a lot of bass. They would be great for those who like Rap and Hip Hop which I really don't listen to. They could also be good HT speakers.

There you have it. I plan to do some upgrades of my equipment. I really want to hear the Wharfedale EVO2 8's. I am also interested to seeing what updates Acculine is making with the upgrade crossovers.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 2004
The Acculines tweeter is the same as the "R" they just did some tweaks to the crossover to tame the brightness and achieve better intergration.The "R" is voiced much better less brightness and fowardness with a tighter more dynamic midbass the tweeter is a BG neo planer magnetic tweeter.Nice review there i was kind of supprisd you thought the Beta 20's bass was boomy,it doesent have the best control around but I've never thought it was boomy,could your room be a factor in this? because they do have quite a bit output that could excite room modes.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9448
Nice job Mordecai and thank you for the write up.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2468
Good review Mordecai. I gotta get around to checking out some Wharfdales. Seem to impress a lot of people!

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 97
Tawaun - The 20's were the only 6.5 woofer speaker I listened to so maybe that is why they sound boomy. All speakers were 18 inches from the back wall. The room is 16x20 with 10 foot ceilings and is open. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't like how they sound. I was listening to them in my office which is 10x12 before doing the comparsion and I like how they sound. But compared to the Wharfedales the mid range is not as prominent. I'm going to keep them. I thought I might sell them but just watched a used pair sell for $60 on Ebay and I think they are worth more than that.

I also got to hear the 9.1's with a more powerful receiver and a six ohm setting and I thought they sounded fuller than with my little HK HT receiver. So, I'm looking to upgrade to the HK3490 or possibly and integrated amp is I can find one with digital connections or an affordable solution.

I really did enjoy the 4 hours of listening to music. The Acculine's really surprised me with the bass they produced on stands. Plus, I've never listened to the A2's without a sub. I would have no problem using them in 2.0 setup either. Overall I think I like the 9.1's a little more though.

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 98
Tawaun - The 20's were the only 6.5 woofer speaker I listened to so maybe that is why they sound boomy. All speakers were 18 inches from the back wall. The room is 16x20 with 10 foot ceilings and is open. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't like how they sound. I was listening to them in my office which is 10x12 before doing the comparsion and I like how they sound. But compared to the Wharfedales and A2's the mid range is not as prominent. I'm going to keep them. I thought I might sell them but just watched a used pair sell for $60 on Ebay and I think they are worth more than that.

I also got to hear the 9.1's with a more powerful receiver and a six ohm setting and I thought they sounded fuller than with my little HK HT receiver. So, I'm looking to upgrade to the HK3490 or possibly and integrated amp is I can find one with digital connections or an affordable solution.

I really did enjoy the 4 hours of listening to music. The Acculine's really surprised me with the bass they produced on stands. Plus, I've never listened to the A2's without a sub. I would have no problem using them in 2.0 setup either. Overall I think I like the 9.1's a little more though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us