Your Opinion For CD Player under $1,500

Bronze Member
Username: Sarick

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 15
Ok all you cool cats! Suggest a CD Player to pair with my Creek Evo and Epos M12i's. All thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9427
What's wrong with a Creek Evolution 2 cd player? Seems a logical choice.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1989
Why would you not wanna buy the Evo CDP?Im sorry its tough for me to recomend anything but a Creek,they are 1 of the Companies that that display what system synergy is all about,in some of the British mags,they've been known to loose a shootout,and then put with 1 of its matching components and wipe out the competition.the Creeks belong together,as much or more than any other company like Naim and Linn being together its perfect synergy,Rega,Exposure,Roksan,Myriad,and Cyrus,to a lesser degree.All British amps and CDP's work best with their matching componets,they were built to complement each other not like American and Canadian gear,just to complete a line,and be more compatible with other gear.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3258
Creek Evo player due to the system.

If not available or want a different sound, Rega Apollo. Nothing comes close for the money IMO. Or you could go the outboard DAC route.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1992
Yeah except for the Chinese players Stu,I agree that the Apollo is great lil spinner as far as household names are concerned at its price.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 173
At $1500 you should really be considering setting up a music server instead of buying a CD player.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 712
I think this is a great buy, and you have $500 left over to buy music.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1244481399&/Cary-CDP-1

If you can find a better player NIB for $1000, buy it. The Creek Evo player is worth a look just on the basis of the synergy as pointed out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2029
If you want the absolute best CDP at this price,and this is still going going against my code for system synergy with Creek.The Ultimate best CDP at this price would be the Eastsound E5 Signature $1199 it may the best player up $4 or $5k except for its bigger brother E5 Platitnum at $2488.Some more options would be the Jungson Impression MkII Standard Edition at $1088 this beast weighs in at 47kg with shipping will bring you under the $1500 mark.Cheaper chineese CDP's that compete at up to the $3k mark the Bada HD23,Original Davinci,MHZS 88F,Jolida Cd-100,Various Shanlings,Jungsons,Vincents(Shengya),good luck all of these can be purchased at www.cattylink.com

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 453
Many of the Chinese cd players can be purchased at
pacific valve.com.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2030
No a few of the Chinese players can be bought at Pacific Valve,they carry Bada,Shengya(Vincent) MHZS,Dodge,and Shenda,thats all, the very best Chinese players they dont carry.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2550
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA840C

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3279
That Cambridge CDP is a great suggestion. It also has digital inputs and therefore can be used as a DAC. Its a shame that more CDPs don't have that. I really wish my Apollo did.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2555
That is a great feature on the CA CDP, but the unit is a bit pricey given the OP.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9500
Me too Stu.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2556
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?searchstring=840c

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12231
Me 3.
The SE should have had the inputs, to further itself from the Saturn, and to raise interest for a new model.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 106
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAC565BEE

I wonder how good the new NAD C565 is. I kind of have my eye on it as one day I will probably buy a standalone CD player and ones that upsample intrigue me. I'm wondering whether the upsampling capability would make this a better player than the Apollo, which is another I'd consider. If I can stretch my budget whenever I do this maybe the Cambridge 840C would be an option.

For the OP, the Cambridge 740C also gets great reviews and would fit within the budget. Audio Advisor has it at $1,095. It and the 840C can upsample.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 431
the CA840 works fine. I will be using one of the digital inputs from an Airport Express running Apple Lossless. Turns the confuser into a fine, big large, IPod.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2040
The more i was checking into the Jungson Impression MKII,it looks really really impressive,I love the fact that it weighs 47kgs vibration would be at a true minimum which is a very underestimated aspect of a CDP all rules should apply like a turntable.It will take up residence in my next system along with the Jungson SA-2 preamp,Jungson SA-100 Standard monoblocks and Jungson Beauty Deity 1 montors or Aurum Cantus Leisure's.

Bronze Member

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 16
Tawaun, Thanks for your suggestions and turning me on to the cattylink site. Lots of interesting stuff out there! I'm trying to think ahead for my system and feel that perhaps I should go the DAC route and use my NAD C545 to just spin. Adding a DAC would enable me to maximize the sound for all my music saved on my computer and Ipod. So many variables to consider, and I do still love the sound of a great CD through my system. So ultimately, what DAC? Benchmark, Bel Canto, Bryston? Who knows?!

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 166
The CA 840C is a killer player. If you can use balanced outputs, nothing can beat it under $2000, IMO. I can not use the balanced outputs because my amp doesn't have balanced inputs, but it's still very good.

Bronze Member

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 17
Loc, Forgive me for not knowing exactly what you mean about the amp and balanced inputs. I have the Creek Evo Integrated. So, is this something that I could use?

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 167
Rick, if your amp has balanced inputs (XLR), and your CDP also has balanced outputs, you should use them. IMO, balanced connections provide better sound than unbalanced.
Loc

Gold Member

Post Number: 2044
At least 10 players from China will beat up on the 840,and their all for under $2k except for about 3 of them.

Bronze Member

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 18
Tawaun, May I trouble you to list your top ten referenced in your last posting? I'm sure they are worth me doing so more research. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2548
I'd be interested in seeing that list too, T.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2046
CDP's might be China's best talent,I'll list those for you guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us