Looking for new speakers, need advise

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 244
Looking for a speaker to replace the Sttafs. Electronics are; Rega Mira 3, Rega Apollo.

So far I'm thinking of auditioning Rega RS7, Focus Audio FS7 and Monitor Audio RS8.

Your thoughts and input is appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3608
Why?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9415
Yeah why? The Mira 3 is the weak link. Try a new amp...don't get me wrong I like the Rega speakers, and better than the Totems...however you haven't heard your Totems yet just as you wouldn't hear your Rega's with the Mira in the middle.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 245
After the experience I had with Totem on the first pair of speakers, I wouldn't want to deal with them again. Now the new pair has a vibration coming from the woofer with one of the speakers. It can be heard at louder volumes with deep bass. I tried switching speakers thinking it was in the music coming from that side, but that wasn't it.

Now I have to get another speaker repaired. I'm fed up with Totem. They have poor service and obviously quality control is not a priority.

As to what I will do with the Totems, I may keep them or just have them repaired and sell them, I don't know yet.

So, I would like a speaker that I can use with my current equipment as well as with a new amp, if or when I up grade.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9416
I understand. I like the Rega speakers and the new RS line is pretty good. If you are willing to spend enough to get the Rega R7 then I would heartily recommend DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 8's. They would see you through several equipment upgrades and they don't play favorites relative to music. Quite efficient as well.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1983
I like Arts suggestion of Gibbon 8's they play good bass to which can help the Rega gear from being a bit light in the bass coupled with the Devores efficency,but i think you should replace the Mira 3 while your at it,and it will give you a broader choice of speakers a amp with some guts shoud be in order for you.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3620
Steve,

Could it simply be a case of the drive unit coming loose and needing to be screwed in again? Sorry you've had such trouble with the Sttafs. QA is usually not a problem with Totems but that's life I guess.

So, given the Sttafs are going, the question is what to go for next? I had thought that your natural path would have been to build the system around the Sttafs. So the next speakers will be what you will be building around I'm guessing. Doing that and finding a relatively benign load for the Mira3 is the crucial thing.

You may wish to consider the Dynaudio Excite X12 or X16 which have a 4-ohm impedance (not good) which remains on or about 4 ohms through the frequency range (good).

Audio Physic come in for some excellent reviews. May be worth a look if available in your area.

Many people like Monitor Audios (I'm ambivalent toward them at best).

Spendor's new ST range makes very nice noises (I liked what I heard recently). Don't go near the S5es for goodness sake (well, not unless you have to.)

ProAc 140s are pretty good too (although they may be a tall ask for the Mira3).

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2434
Sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble with Totem Steve. As you probably know, I have the Sttafs too and I love them. Never had any issues with them (well, except for blowing out the woofers, but that was my bad).

I also have the MA RS6 and they're a great speaker as well (I liked 'em better than the RS8), but with the MA speakers I find you have to pair them carefully electronics.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 246
Thanks for all your concern guys. I think I'm going to have them repaired before I do anything rash. I really can't afford new speakers, so I will try to rectify this first. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to replace the Sttafs.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2439
What doesn't thrill you about MA Frank?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2440
Check this out Steve:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-160

I heard once that the woofers in the Sttafs were actually Peerless speakers. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyway, these things on Parts Express look almost identical.

I had my Sttafs re-coned at my dealer's with woofers straight from Totem. Cost me 149 bucks. It was totally worth it. My dealer actually did the work for free, and I didn't even buy the Sttafs from him.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3623
David,

Don't get me wrong - you get an awful lot for your money with MA. They're beautifully made and the componentry is as good as anything else (possibly better in some cases) at similar prices.

They just don't do it for me, that's all.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2442
I've heard more than a few people say that Frank.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 247
David, those woofers look pretty similar don't they. How would you describe the difference in sound between the MA's and the Sttafs. Don't the MA's have metallic drivers? Does this make them a little brighter sounding?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2445
They do look similar.

Yup, the MA's have metal tweets and the woofers are a material called "C-CAM", what ever that is. Has sorta a metallic look them. The are definitely brighter and more aggressive than the Sttafs.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 248
Thank you, that's what I thought. Have you ever heard Focus Audio speakers? They are made in Ontario. Looks very interesting.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2446
Never even heard of 'em Steve. Any good?

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 249
I don't really know. I've read some good reviews but thats it, I've never heard any. Here is a link to a review of one of their more affordable speakers.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/focus_fc7.htm

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2447
I bet they sound nice. I just can't get past the asymmetrical lines on them.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 250
I really like the looks. Here is another link to a factory tour, quite good.

http://www.soundstage.com/traveler/traveler200812.htm

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2448
neat. They look very well built, that's for sure.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2449
I think you should buy a pair ;-)

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 251
I have no way of auditioning them. There are no dealers in B.C. I think you should audition them for me, as there will be a dealer in your area

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2450
Ha ha... touchA.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 252
David, all joking a side, if you ever have the chance to here them I would really value your opinion.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2451
For sure Steve. I checked on the website, and there's no dealers here in Ottawa. The closest are in the the GTA, so it'll have to wait till I'm down there again.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 253
Awesome David.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3259
See if there's an Audio Physic dealer in your neck of the woods.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1994
I agree on the Focus Audio's lower line very very well built for the money the Vifa XT-25 tweeter and Peerless Curvillar woofers are very solid drivers if done right with the crossover those drivers can compete with the big boy drivers,with Focus Audio behind them im sure they do just that,their 688 Signature is on my radar,the Focus Audio's will be a excellent choice,in my opinion their the best speaker company in Canada.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 254
Stu, no such luck.

Tawaun, I like the look of the FS7 & FS8. The FS7 is a 7" single driver with a 35 Hz bottom end. The FS8 has dual 5.5" drivers but only extends to 40Hz. If I buy new speakers I would like deeper bass extension than 40Hz. Do dual driver speakers generally perform better than single driver units?

Here in Canada the FS7 is $2,500 and the FS8 is $2,900, a little more than the Sttafs but not bad. They are suppose to be an easy load as well. The FS7 being 8 ohms and 86db, and the FS8 4 ohms and 91db. So they my be just fine with the Mira 3 until I up grade the amp. What do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1996
Steve dont pay so much attention to the numbers,a solid 40hz is hard to come by,do you realize your very very lucky to get that in your room?Either the FS7 or FS8 will be a fine choice if i was you i would go hear both of them,and make a decision then.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 255
Yes you are right Tawaun, I remember reading that a while ago. You divide the speed of sound (1130) by the distance between to parallel surfaces to find the potential frequency response with in a room on that axis. So yeah it doesn't really matter that much I guess.

Which of the two do you think would be easier to drive?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1998
The FS8 both drivers are run in parralel as a 2way will make them about 2 to 3 db more sensitive than the FS7.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 256
Well the Sttafs are repaired and just like new again. A new woofer was sent and put in yesterday.

I'm still considering selling them and buying something else. I'm really interested in the Focus Audio FS8. If I could only audition a pair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us