What type of reciever do I need?

Username: Joeyarkenstat02

Post Number: 1
Hello wizards of home audio!
I need help setting up my new apartment. Here is the layout, and my desired speaker setup....

Upload

Basically, what type of receiver would i need to run 3 sets of speakers off of my PC. I would like to have individual control over all 3 sets.
Also, what is the best way to hook up the computer to the reciver. Headphone jack?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3566
Joey, most likely the best way to do this is to use an AV receiver and set it to 'Party mode' so all the channels produce the same music. Most AV receivers have 7 amplifiers in them so you'd be using 6 of them. You could look for an AV receiver which can give you three stereo modes whereby main front, surround and rears all give the same stereo output but it's quite an unusual option.

As for the way to connect to the AV receiver, it rather depends on the quality of the OPC's soundcard, but generally, I suspect it'd be better to use the digital connection, whether optical toslink or coax to connect to the AV receiver.

Of course, if you do this, you're effectively dispersing your funds between three zones in what appears to be a relatively limited space. If you went with one set of better speakers and a better amplifier or receiver, that one zone would enjoy better quality sound. Do you really need to have all three zones playing music?

Hope this helps!

Post Number: 2
Yes, this helps a lot.

The picture make the space look a little smaller then it actually is. Plus the walls are thick. As it is, when we play something in one room, it is tough appreciating it in the other.

Can you explain in a little more detail the options to connect to the computer, please? You lost me a little with the more technical terms, haha.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3568
Decent quality soundcards have both analogue and digital connections. I am suggesting that you may be better off with the digital connection. Digital connections come in two main forms - optical (aka toslink) and coax (aka phono or RCA). Some very few cards have special multi-input connectors which allow you to plug in either a 3.5mm jack or optical connection. You need to check the manual of your soundcard to figure out what to do.

AV receivers will accept any toslink or coax connection.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2136
What kind of budget are you looking there Joey?

If you want to get better sound quality, you may want to look at a half decent 2 channel receiver or integrated and a speaker switch.

Post Number: 3
Frank: Mmmmm, I guess I will have to look more into what kind of soundcard I have. My friend built it for me so maybe he will know what kind of connections I can make.

David: I would ideally like to set everything up for around 350-500. I'm not too concerned about having "the best speakers in the world", so I would rather spend what I need to spend on the receiver, and pick speakers based on the remaining budget.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2138
If you can stretch the budget a little bit, I would recommend this integrated:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1237867768&/Rotel-RA-02-

I have the same one for my PC-based system (well, one of them anyway). It has two sets of outputs (A/B speakers), so you can cover at least 2 rooms that way. To throw another set of speakers in the mix you could always wire two pairs of them series.

Post Number: 4
David: Great link. But, i think that might be a little more then i can spend on the receiver and still afford speakers.

I found this at buy.com....will this do what i need it to? I am still a little confused on what it is i really need. haha

http://www.buy.com/prod/sherwood-rx-5502-remote-controlled-multi-source-dual-zon e-400-watt/q/loc/111/204230754.html

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11650
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2164
Hee hee.

I have 3 of those.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown