Bi-amping with an older Bryston 3B

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2095
Hey gang,

My 30 year old 3B is currently being used on my HT system to drive my front speakers while my kids watch Spongebob and Dora. Obviously this isn't the best utilization for a Bryston.

I was wondering what kind of results you guys think I'd get if I used the 3B to bi-amp my 2 channel system (along with the current Power Pacs)?

Maybe have the 3B drive the highs and the PP's drive the lows? The 3B is not an ST/SST, whereas the Power Pacs are....

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 610
I've read that when bi-amping you should use the higher-quality amp to drive the top end rather than the bass frequencies. That would mean your 120's on top and 3B on the bottom posts.

The way I see it bi-amping is only good if you really need the extra power but in your case I would think your 120's can deliver everything you need. In fact by brining in the 3B you might end up with less fidelity, since your 120's are higher performers.

As long as you have got a high-quality pair of jumpers (say jumpers made out of the same speaker wire you're using), I don't think you'll get any real increase in performance by bringing in the 3B.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2096
Thanks George. That's sort of my suspicion too - that the 3B won't be able to "keep up" with the 120's.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3169
My first instinct was to suggest using the PPs for the highs, but George covered that and pretty much everything else I was going to say.

If you're bored, play around with the configurations. You never know how it'll actually sound until you try it out.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 611
Yeah Dave, I find trying different setups is as much fun as I had with my Mecanno set when I was a kid.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us