Rotel RC-1082 or NAD C-162

Username: Simon_hans

Geleen, Limburg Netherlands

Post Number: 1
Hello you all.

I am considering replacing my Sony TA-E1000ESD Pre Amp by a NAD 162 or the Rotel RC-1082. The Sony (actually a Preproces unit for home cinema) is awfull to operate. I also noticed that a Quad 33 preamp sounds a lot better, but they are really outdated.
I use two quad 405-2 power amps.

Any thought on this set up? NAD or Rotel?

Simon Hans

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2028
I'd take the Rotel over the NAD, but that's just my opinion. Why these 2 particular models?

Post Number: 2
Hello David,

These models were the ones I found that have two pre-out (for my two Quad 405-2)and a qualtity (and simple) tone control.

Post Number: 3
And, by the way, why would you prefer the Rotel? I am interested in your opinion!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2037
Because I've owned both NAD and Rotel and prefer the Rotel sound and build quality. That being said, you have to me more careful which speakers you pair with Rotel than with NAD.

Post Number: 4
Thank you David, your comments were very helpfull. I'll let you know what I bought

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2042
Glad I could be of help. Looking forward to hearing about what you purchase.

Post Number: 6
As you can read in the Preamp section, somebody came with the idea of the Synn preamp, You know them?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11502
SHN, when delving into preamps and mono amps, the question must be asked.
Why do you need tone controls?
Putting more in the signal path is almost never a good thing, and gains in less than stellar gear are not usually simple or effective in a signal/noise perspective.

Using gains and defeats (in any manner) are destructive to a true signal, and are biased to the manufacturers liking, such as in a Rotel pre, with a selectable gain/defeat of +- 3 or 6 db.
I don't trust other people interpolation of the gear that I might add, period.

I suggest that you rethink your need for tonals, decide across a wide selection of music where you end up using tonals, and accommodate your desires with room treatments, and if need be, some different pieces of equipment.

Post Number: 7
Yeah Nuck, a good question!

I noticed that for most good recordings my tone control settings are more or less neutral, and in some cases I add litlle more bass or treble (not much, a bad recording will always be a bad recording). So what I want is a tone control that can be bypassed if I want to, and that bypassed and neutral setting sound the same.

Don't forget that right now I have a preamp (Sony TA-E1000 ESD) that ALWAYS do a A/D and a subsequent D/A conversion, no way to bypass this. The tone control is a digital parametric equallizer (brrrrrrrr).

With simple tone control I mean simple in usage, not technically. I know that design of a quality tone control is not at all trivial.

Anyway, thank for your input in the discussion!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11511
Ya mon. At some point, if anyone follows this path of audio purity and enjoyment, there comes a time.

The straight signal path needs not be discussed any more, it's been done.

The results are truth in recording, good or bad.

If you add vinyl into the mix, then the purity is even more apparant.

Just my take, friend.

Post Number: 8
The choice turned out to be the Rotel. Sound is great. It is nicely build. Very simple in usage. The tone control is very subtile. In flat position, there is no difference with bypassed mode. Thanks for advice!

Hey Nuck I know what you mean, you are absolutely right. However, I must keep balance between the truth of replaying and enjoying music the way I like. That means, when I miss a LITTLE clearity or a LITTLE body in the bass, I'ed like to adjust that.

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 45
That Rotel is a mother.

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 54
Can't beat the Rotel for the money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help