New vinyl user, need a bit of direction

Username: Wordisbond930

Houston, Tx USA

Post Number: 1
I just recently found how amazing vinyl can sound on a road trip I took with a few friends and heard the true quality that I was missing from a record in a small ma pop restaurant.

Since then, I have been hunting down records for songs that I love (sam cooke, nina simone, delfonics, hendrix, sinatra, crosby stills and nash, and newer artists etc etc) and am extremely excited to hear them and feel all that I've been missing.

Unfortunately, I am clueless, and hate the idea of posting this thread because the amount of these generic 'help me' threads must be staggering.

I recently purchased a Rega P1 and am waiting for it to arrive, however I have been somewhat stumped in what other parts I would need (phono preamp, speakers, something to play 78rpm's since I think the p1 only plays 45 and 33.3.. and honestly how to even tell what speed a record is)

I've looked at some of the threads in this forum that seemed relevant to my problem, but one person wanted only vintage equipment, another was installing new cartridges, and I couldn't exactly find someone as retarded about turntables and set-ups as I was :\.

I don't really expect a handout or someone to take too much time to hold my hand through this entire process, but if anyone could direct me to some websites where I can find information or any recommendations on equipment I should purchase for a great listening experience (I really couldn't care less about the appearance) that would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13311

Have you stopped in any of the audio stores in Houston and asked for their help? I know there are a few that still carry turntables and know a bit about vinyl.

Houston, Tx USA

Post Number: 2
I did, I live in the Upper Kirby area if you are at all familiar with Houston. Of everyone I asked, one was an older man (55+) who was very kind but couldn't really help me much, and the other 3 stores I went to had very young (18-22) people working who couldn't tell me much.

If by chance you know the name of some of the record stores you have experiences with, that would be great, I've gone to Allrecords, Cactus Music, Soundwaves, and Sound Exchange.

Or vice versa, if you know a site that you usually direct completely lost people like me, I'll more than gladly read up on it myself, my google skills just aren't exactly as great as I thought they were

edit: I just googled some more, and will be heading to Black dog records, and Vinal Edge, and maybe one more, thanks for the feedback, I'm going to see if I just simply didn't search enough.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11469
Welcome Mike. Vinyl is spoken here on our little forum.
The P1 is a good starter table, as Rega doesn't make any bad stuff.
The rest of the kit will have to fall into place, and that takes a lot of listening to gain the ear for what stuff does.
JV knows a little analog like I know a little about my pecker.
That means a lot.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13313

"one was an older man (55+) ... "

I am mortally wounded.

"JV knows a little analog like I know a little about my pecker."

I am mortally mortified.

I don't have time right now but hang on and I'll give some information later.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13317

Let's start off with why you want to play 78's. Do you have a collection of 78's?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11478
Hmm...a good mono cartridge, VTA adjustment for that alone is shims...kinda hard to switch back and forth...

Houston, Tx USA

Post Number: 3
after doing some googling etc., I think I am going to get a Onkyo A-9555, and going to audition some speakers for myself

and after looking it up, i don't believe i have any 78's so i think i'm safe :D, thanks again for all the help, and if you have any tips, that would be great

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13320

You're starting out fine, just go slow and don't become impatient. There's no need to buy something just to have something.

(VTA isn't important with a mono groove.)

Houston, Tx USA

Post Number: 4
yup, and thanks for the help Jan, I am still looking into jolida and finding out the differences when using a tube amp, and working 40hrs+ a week + full time college student + university water polo team will make sure that i don't take things too fast or become impatient haha.

It will take me some time to get through all the learning i have in front of me with my workload this semester :p
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us