Marantz pm7200. Class A on a budget!

valeem
I'm considering building a seperate hi-fi system for another room and have included the Marantz PM7200 in my shortlist of amplifiers. Does anyone have any experience of this amplifier? I have already purchased a pair of Mission M71i's for this system and will most probably go with the NAD C521i or C521BEE cd player.

I read a review of the PM7200 in a well respected UK audio magazine and they praised it highly. They said that in its normal mode it can rival anything in its price class (£320 but can get it for £230) but in its Class A mode it could rival amps in the £1000 price class. Phew!

Unregistered guest
I've been using a Marantz PM7200 for about three months and I can only report good things about it. As always you should try before you buy. It really is two amps in one. Magazine reports that there is little difference between class AB and class A are wide of the mark, it does take time however to identify the differences. This is no chore, this amp is a tad on the warm side but very detailed. It seems to adapt itself to any musical style you choose to listen to. I have a pair of Mission 751 Freedoms which have proved to be a very good match. On other forums users also report positive results with Mission speakers. I have it partnered with an Arcam 72T CD player. Another good match.
It also has a reasonable phono input for vinyl lovers, MM only, though I do recommend an off board phono pre-amp if you're serious about the black stuff. I have owned a number of amps over the years and this one, I think, is stunning at any price.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 124
Bobcat, I agree that the PM7200 is a great amp for the price but I have to disagree that the class A button makes any difference! In my opinion it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever and those who think it does are kidding themselves, trying like mad to think it does. Also, it's not a warm amp at all. Maybe your source and speakers are making it sound so but it's actually quite a bright amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Post Number: 12
I was very impressed from the possibility to have a class A amplifier for less than $ 500 so when this Marantz PM7200 amplifier arrived I took it for a test from my dealer for a weekend.
To my surprise there was no difference with Class A on or without I repeated it again and again but no listenable difference.
More than that, it was not better, in my opinion, than my NAD C350 but some other reviewers may think differently.
Both are very good budget amplifiers

Bobcat
Unregistered guest
Have you read David Price's review in HiFi World this month? It's a review of the KIS version but he does point out the differences quite clearly. I take your point about it being a bright amp but I did live with a Cyrus 2/PSX for about ten years so I guess it's relative. It's certainly not warm and cozy like an Arcam.

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 117
Thanks guys for your comments. I eventually went with the NAD C320BEE as the Marantz was over my budget in the gold finish I was after - a bit sad I know but my budget is limited.

It seems Marantz stereo amps are a bit more forward than their AV receivers so I guess in the end I got a good amp for my Mission's.

Marc C
Unregistered guest
Bobcat,

What Arcam would you suggest? I would like to maybe pick up a warm and cozy amp. (Can it rock when pushed?) Is it expensive?

Thanx,

Marc

asal73
Unregistered guest
Warm, punchy and cozy? That will be a second hand Arcam Alpha 8 or 9... wees all over anything Marantz can manufacture and lasts forever...

asal73
Unregistered guest
PS: Can it rock when pushed? Yes.. The Alpha 8 is at least as punchy as a C350....

Thasp
Unregistered guest
warm, bright, what the hell. Any well designed amp has a flat response, and if it had a 3 dB lift or recess in the high frequencies, it would not have even left the lab.

Nice find for the price. Thumbs up. :]
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us