Music only speakers for my living room

Username: Paulcw1

Post Number: 1
Hi Folks,

I'm a total newbie here and I'm looking for some advice on a set of speakers for my living room. Here's the scoop:
My budget: About $1,000 (for the pair, I know it will be tough to get good speakers for that price but my ears aren't that sophisticated yet).
The room: It will be a problem as its about 20 by 20 with a 20 foot high flat ceiling. Hardwood floor and very little sound absorbing material on the side walls. The front wall has several large widows and the back wall is 50% open to the foyer.
The speakers: I need 8 ohm speakers in this zone as zone 1 already has new 8 ohm speakers and my amp cannot drive speakers in different zones with different impedance.
Candidates: I'm considering B&W 684, Axiom M60 V2, Monitor Audio RS6 and (if I can find a deal on them) Focal 716V.

There will not be a subwoofer and I listen to a big variety of music.

Anyone have anything particularly good or bad to say about the short list of candidates and how they might sound in my challenging room?

TIA,
Paul

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2277
http://www.brandnamez.com/p-39136-monitor-audio-silver-rs-6.aspx

Post Number: 2
Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the link. That looks to be a great price. The problem is that I just noticed that the Monitor Audio RS6 is a 6 ohm speaker.

Anyone know if I'll fry my amp running a 6 ohm speaker through it (Its a cheap Yamaha RX-V1800 and its only switchable between 4 and 8 ohms and I have it set on 8 ohms).

Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2278
From Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV1800/Yamaha-RX-V1800.html?tab=detailed_info

"Impedance Selection: You can select between either 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier's front channels can actually accommodate 4 ohm, 6 ohm or 8 ohm speakers. The remainder of the receiver's channels can handle 6 or 8 ohms."

I don't think the Yamaha RX-V1800 is cheap, and it should have no problem driving the RS6.

Post Number: 3
Hi Christopher,

Thanks much for the additional info. I guess I should know more about my own equipment. Its not really a "cheap" unit as its more of an all around unit and not an amp dedicated to music so there are probably a lot of compromises with it.

Do you, or anyone online here, know if I can select 8 ohms for zone 1 and 6 ohms for zone 2 and have them both operating at the same time? Or should I just select 8 ohms for the whole system and assume that it will run a little warm when playing the zone 2 speakers.

By the way, this forum has been a wealth of info for me and I really appreciate it (I've been reading posts and doing searches in it for a while and learned a lot).

thnx

Gold Member

Post Number: 2279
Paul, I'm going to redirect you to this forum over at AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=888942 . They should be more helpful with the intricacies of this unit. But again, I don't think it will be a problem if the unit is designed to do it.

Yamaha has it's fans and the RX-V1800 seems to be an excellent all around performer.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1941
Pretty sure the Yamaha will be able to handle it.

I've done a lot of reading on Axiom speakers since they were at one point on my short list of speakers to try out. One common attribute that seemed to surface about them was that people considered them "bright". Considering the fact the room you will be listening in can be considered lively, you may want to reconsider this. Take into account this is just my opinion based on here say.

I think the Monitor Audio and Focal are really in a separate class. I own the RS6, so I can at least speak for these.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2257
Put a nice wig on an RS6 and a nice pair of tight jeans and I would consider calling it my wife. That is how much I enjoy mine.lol.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1942
Hmmmmm. Not sure if I'm going to lend you any speakers Nick.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8596
The Yammy will handle the MA's. I recently had a Yamaha considerably further down the ladder than yours running a pair of Totem Rainmakers, Paradigm Atoms and a pair of Polk Monitor 5jrs for a center simultaneously and at a decent volume with no issues. The Yamaha's are built well.

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 149
Nick, the RS6 is ported isn't it? OMG. LOL

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1722
Uuhhh oohhhhhhh........

rear ported.....

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2292
LOL!!!! Rear ports are for outs only right guys? lol right guyyssss...? They are a small, tight, stylish looking gir..SPEAKER. Sorry.lol.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 163
Yes that is an "EXIT' only port Nick. Also, I don't think you should mass load them either. Ok I think I'd better stop now.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3490
Coming back on topic, the Focal 716Vs would be my choice - and they're front ported. :-)

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 164
Personally, I prefer the front port over the rear. Ok I'm sorry no more. lol

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3501
Some 'special' speakers have both front and rear ports...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1992
LOL! Doesn't that require some sort of operation?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3503
No, just dexterity...

Post Number: 4
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice (and the comedic relief). I was just about to order the Monitor Audio Silver RS6s when I saw a special deal on a pair of Boston Acoustic E100s. I went down to my local guy who didn't even know his boss had put them on sale. I gave them a listen (some Wilco and Norah Jones) and was impressed. I couldn't pass up the good deal on them so I had them delivered and set up in my living room and I really like them. They even met with the WAF so they're keepers. I know I should have checked with you all but they sounded as good or better than any of the others to my novice ears but feel free to tell me if you think they're good or not.

Thanks again.

PS They have two ports, both on the front. One is up high and the other down low. I don't think the grills are easily removed so I'll just have to listen to them but we all know the ports are there...just out of reach.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8680
Enjoy your Boston's!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2299
Paul,

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what we think, you like them, you own them, and you should enjoy them.

I haven't listened to the E100, but I've had some good experiences with BA in the past.

Happy listening.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11438
Never heard the bigger BA products, but their standmounts can be very good.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3522
I'll just have to listen to them but we all know the ports are there...just out of reach.

Same old, same old... :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us