New user, new table, strange wobbly sound

Username: Shadeofgreen

Post Number: 1
I just got my first record player of my own. It's a Crosley portable USB one, that came from an urban outfitters. I would like something better but for right now It's just what I wanted to start out

After a few plays (literally like two songs) it started making what I can only describe as a 'wobbly' sound. Especially in high treble sounds the audio very rapidly moves up and down (its hard to describe).

Is it possible that the needle is to blame or is this maybe a problem with the units built in speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 466
It could be a number of things. Have you tried plugging it in a different outlet? Have you tried a couple of different records? If the problem persists after this, is there a warranty/help line you can call? Start with that. If that doesn't work, since it sounds like you recently purchased it, can you return it to the store and/or exchange it for another one? If so, start with this.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13237

From your brief description it sounds as though the table suffers from severe wow and flutter - a speed deviation due to poor speed control of the platter.

It's possible you missed a step in the set up or it's also possibe this is how a less expensive table sounds today.

I would check with the seller and even the manufacturer if possible. This really shouldn't be how things work today. Wow and flutter is a problem that was solved decades ago. If you can't get an answer, ask for a replacement player and, if at all possible, listen to it befotre you accept it as a swap out. Even a fairly inexpensive table should play with a reasonable amount of speed stability.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us