Can I bypass the subwoofer and connect speakers straight up the receiver on a Bose Acoustimass 10?

Bronze Member
Username: Sna77

Post Number: 12
The reason I ask is because my home is hard wired for speaker cables with an existing Acoustimass 10 installation, and having to have all the speaker wires terminate at the subwoofer and then run proprietary cables from the sub to the amp is a logistics nightmare--not to mention additional costs for me to incur with my electrician. Basically, if you want to have the subwoofer located anywhere that's not near the receiver, you have a 3" think cable running across the floor.

If I can simply plug the speakers directly into the amp (like normal speakers) my life would be much easier...

BTW, on page 7 of the owner's manual it specifically not to do this:

http://products.bose.com/pdf/customer_service/owners/og_am6_10.pdf

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
here's the warning message

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13188

Uh, what about that warning are you not understanding? It says don't do it.

But you want to do it anyway.

OK, yes, you can do it. You bought it. You paid for it. It's your system. This is the US of A!

There's only two problems.

Don't expect Bose to cover your system under warranty when it blows up. (They warned you not to do it and I'll testify you read the warning}.) And don't expect good sound for the few minutes the satellites will survive.

Let us know how this turns out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
right... I get that it wouldn't be covered by warranty... The system is a few years old and out of warranty anyhow...

My question is: why doesn't it work? I'm on a techie forum, i was looking for an answer along the lines of "the voltage is too high for the speakers to sustain" or something. I don't know, which is why I asked.

Does anyone have anything to offer other than "the book says don't do it so don't do it"

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13190

How technical do I need to get?

The satellites will BLOW UP!

The subwoofer contains the crossover high pass filter to minimize the bass response fed to the satellites which have teeny, tiny drivers. By filtering the lows away from the satellites so the satellites don't ever have to make a long excursion, you'll hopefully keep them from blowing up. If you don't feed the signal through the subwoofer first and then out to the satellites, you'll hit one bass note and the teeny, tiny drivers will be toast.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
thanks. Your second response was helpful and what I was looking for.

Which leads me to the next question... How can I extend this stupid proprietary cable from the subwoofer (12' feet away) through the wall to the amp. I don't mean physically extend it... I'll have my electrician run whatever wires are needed, rather, can I cut the cable and extend the wires somehow? The speaker wires seem easy enough to do, but I'm unsure about the subwoofer cable.

Thanks

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13196

I don't know what the cable is. Typically Bose will design something that makes it the only thing you can use. Basically wire is wire. You cut it and splice it. But you're probably better off dealing with Bose on this one. Ask your electrician what they think about this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Here's a picture of the cable from the manual. Upon further inspection of the cable it appears that I can simply cut the 5 speaker wires coming out of the subwoofer. The question is what to do about the RCA connector for the subwoofer connection to the amplifier? Is that a cable that can be cut and reattached somehow?

Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13197

I would suggest rather than cutting the cable, splice it to another cable by buying either a female to female connector with the same pin layout or buying a female to male cable with the same configuration/connector. It looks to be a standard mutli-pin plug you could find in most electronics supply houses or any computer repair/parts facility. You can buy a cable of the appropriate length with the same type of connection, female/female or female/male for the RCA plug. Radio Shack might have the parts you'll need. Take the manual with you and see what's available.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us