Herbie's Halos

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 419
On the recommendation of a fried with a Decware amp, I ordered a set of these for my amp.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/

Should be here in a few days. Anyone else give these a whirl yet ?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1603
I use something for my tubes also, "O" Rings.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13155

Did your friend give a reason for trying the tube dampers? All tubes are microphonic to some extent and not all tube dampers actually improve the system. Is there something you are trying to cure with the dampers or are you just curious?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 420
More just curious. He was quite content with his setup but ordered them based on some reviews he had read. I did some googling after I talked to him and found a number of reviews, either of the halos specifically, of them being used to tweak other gear under review. All good.

He found they made quite an improvement, so for the minimal investment I figured I'd give them a try. I know results will vary from kit to kit, and even tube to tube as some are much more susceptible to micophinics than others. So, I guess we'll see.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 421
Here's a link to a review of them used on Nuck's phonostage.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue27/jolida.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11208
Thanks Chris.
For me, just a couple of 3lb workout weights keep the phono tight.

The Jolida is also well out of the way of primary soundwaves (as is the table), and it is dead quiet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11209
If your tubes are exposing microphonics, then I suggest looking into the componant placement and room setup first.

Cheers!

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 424
Hey Nuck. I don't know that I could pinpoint anything and say "that's microphonics". But I expect it will become obvious (or not) once I drop them on. If I don't hear anything different, then clearly I'll have wasted a few bucks. But if I get a little benefit from them then it will be a bonus.

I'm all out of placement options without reinvesting a lot more money in longer cables. A LOT more money. And workout weights would be a little tougher on my amp than your phonostage....especially in the living room. I'm pushing my luck as it is.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11214
I understand that Chris, more than you can imagine...

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 426
The Halos arrived in the mail today. I popped them on after I got home from work. I only had a chance to listen to a few tracks before the kids went off to bed and the volume had to be lowered significantly.

But just after a quick listen, I'd say not a huge difference, but it did seem to provide a darker background, and, I'm not sure what the right word is....maybe composure. Voices and instruments seems to stay more distinct and separate. I need to pop them off and on a few times when I have some time and really listen back and forth.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 429
Well, after finally getting some time to try these off, on, on input tubes only, on power tubes only....I think I prefer them off altogether. The differences aren't big. The thing is, although there was a little improvement in image specificity, and maybe a slight improvement in transparency, it seemed to take some of the roundness out of the sound, and made things sound a little harder and flatter.

I'm sure results vary depending on equipment and tastes, but on my rig and with these ears, it just wasn't a net gain.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11241
Live, listen and learn...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13175

"Live, listen and learn..."

... re-sell on eBay.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 432
I'll keep 'em for now. Never know when one might get additional tubes that might benefit. If anyone wants to try them, just let me know.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13180

I've been doing this for quite a few years, you wouldn't believe the stack o'stuff I hung onto just in case. I have one bag full of just cables that's so full I can barely pick it up now. That doesn't count all the cables in the bigger box in the back of that one closet that the bag full of cables superceded.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 433
Point taken.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us