If your looking for a steal

Bronze Member
Username: Drewquan

Post Number: 35
if anyone is looking for a great bargain, look at hh gregg's web site. they have there Klipsch f2 speakers priced at 187.00 each. i think these speakers at this price are a great buy.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8202
Who'd be doin' the stealin'!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
art, i think these speaker for 375.00 is a good value. i understand this web site is filled with people who spend huge amounts of cash on their stuff. that is fantastic that people do that. i wish i could do that. but i cant and alot of other people who come to this site can't either. i just thought some one looking to spend just a couple bucks might be interested. i picked up a pair of these today. you see i dont have tons of green backs laying around nor do i have audio shops selling great gear around my town to audition all types of speakers. i base my purchases off of reviews that come from web sites just like a lot of other new guys. look up the king rex amp/ preamp review on the 6 moons web site. they mention using the klipsch f2s along with other low dollar gear. and i believe most people would find the review to be a positive one.

i do have a question for you. can you name me 2 or 3 other speakers that come in at under 400.00 that sound as clear and detailedas the f2's

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2177
Nice deal, but I'd still keep an eye out for those P362s for under $100 on Harman's eBay site.

Ain't no bigger steal than that IMHO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
chris are you talking about infinity p362's ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
harmons ebay site:

BUY IT NOW $248.00

"You are bidding on a SINGLE FACTORY REMANUFACTURED Infinity PRIMUS P362BK-ZBLACK 3-Way Dual 6-1/2" Floor standing Loudspeaker."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2178
Yep, I've seen them sell for less than $70 ea.

I think I paid $66 for one of mine.

Like I said, steal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2179
"keep an eye out"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-P362-3Way-Dual-6-5-Floorstanding-Loud-Speaker_W0QQi temZ170281921075QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item170281921075&_tr ksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-P362-3Way-Dual-6-5-Floorstanding-Loud-Speaker_W0QQi temZ170280797357QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item170280797357&_tr ksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
ya you got a good deal. but it cant possible be a good set of speakers for $122.

you need to spend way more than that. whose donin the stealin?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2180
It can, and they are.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/605infinity/ *

* The P362 are newer upgraded versions of the Primus 360 reviewed in Stereophile.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8205
"i do have a question for you. can you name me 2 or 3 other speakers that come in at under 400.00 that sound as clear and detailedas the f2's"

Sorry but I wouldn't own the Klipsch speakers for any amount of money. They aren't for me. I'm sure it's good deal if for those who are fans.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2183
I've heard the F2s in a Best Buy "Magnolia" room, and for pure HT applications, I think they're pretty good.

The larger models, like the La Scala & Klipschhorn, have their fans, I've not heard them (but I'd like to), so I can't comment on them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8206
I should clarify that I know that the Klipsch speakers meet the demands of a lot of listeners and that's a good thing...just not for me.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11151
Infinity Beta 20?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2186
I was trying to go a week without mentioning the 20s.

Under 4-bills there are a slew of great sounding speakers.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1900
The La Scala's and the Klipschorn are awsome with good tubes,the new $20k flagship is probably good,their other stuff leaves tons to be desired.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8207
Agreed Tawaun....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
i am just curious of a few things. there is no doubt that 99 % of you know a great deal more than i do. 99 % of you have listened to a great deal more gear than i have. there is also the cash, some of you or many of you might make tens of thousands more dollars than i do.

but how do you guys listen to so much gear? do you buy it and then sell or return it? do you guys belong to some audio clubs that allow you to listen to such a wide range of things?

i ask because i find it hard to listen to such a range of gear in my own city. while i don't live i the biggest city in the country i don't live in the smallest either. now maybe Cleveland is not the national hub for audiophile grade gear but i highly doubt many other city are either.

i am sure many of you are using the most costly of gear,amps,preamps,turn tables,you get the point. i have listened to some expensive stuff set up in perfect condition both of the 2 hi end shop i have been able to locate.

now there is no doubt that the $60,000 and the cheaper $15,000 system sound better than my $1700 system, but am i crazy or is everyone else crazy. the improvement in sound at these elevated prices seem to be marginal to my ears.

maybe my ears are no good. Tawaun, when you say that other than the La Scales and the Klipschorn, there other stuff leaves tons to be desired. what are the tons? i am just curious as to what you hear. or should i ask what you dont hear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2190
Andrew, welcome aboard.

I live in NYC, and you'd be amazed how difficult it is sometimes to track down & audition a piece of equipment that's caught your eye.

Clubs can be a useful resource, but I'd venture to say that I and most other regulars here buy, stockpile, swap, and sell more gear than your average enthusiast. Personally, I must have owned a dozen pairs of speakers over the last 5-years.

I don't think you're crazy at all for not being able to discern to any meaningful degree the differences between an uber-expensive & modest gear.

While there tends to be a correlation between price & quality, past a certain point it tends to get kind of academic & nerdy, if not out & out kooky & snobbish. A $60K system in a bad room might not sound any better than a $6K system in that same room, IMO, but someone else might think differently.

My gear tends to be bargain basement stuff, but it sounds good. I've made the decision that if or until I can upgrade my listening space, I just can't justify more expensive, and hopefully better gear.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11156
Andrew, when it is your hobby, you make time and money available.
I travel all over North America and drop into shops when one is available. Thats not the norm.

I traded through setups for a few years then just jumped on a heavily marked down high buck system...follow the rich guys around, they ditch stuff at a satisfying rate and price...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8208
Andrew, I don't make much dough and I overspend on audio. I don't have the most expensive gear here by any means but as Nuck said I do make time available to hear a lot of gear. I am blessed to have made friends with several dealers who sell pretty awesome gear so I get to sample lots of flavors.

Chris makes good points as well about room acoustics and the relative importance it plays in the end product...the sound.

I live in the Northwest and we are blessed with access to pretty darn much any gear that I want to audition. And I know someone (many someones) who sell nearly every brand you can think of. I haven't heard everything and in some cases I've heard them but based on a lot of things (room, associated electronics, time spent listening and on and on) I couldn't or wouldn't hazard to make a judgement on the sound per my ears and experience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
i am starting to believe i am chasing something i will not hear. at least not with out spending lots and lots of cash.
i suppose many people feel as i do. on one side of the fence i am happy with what i have. compared to what i had. and on the other side of the fence i think i can make what i have better.

i will make due with what i have and try to improve the room acoustics. do any of you use acoustic panels on your walls. i know i could probable use some. exactly on what walls i have no clue. i need to do some reading on the subject. if anyone uses panels where did you purchase them.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 405
It's about the music. No matter how you find it, and enjoy it....it's about the music. Megabucks not required. Just the drive to find it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8209
Another Chris has hit the nail on the head Andrew. If you enjoy music with your system then you have it all. Nothing wrong with trying to improve your room or system...just keep your eyes on the prize...and know the prize is. Music and whatever your reference to that is, be it live music or otherwise.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 229
7 posts in a row in harmony; that's gotta be a first around here. All warm and fuzzy; must be the Holidays.

Really enjoyed reading the conversation and insights - thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1574
andrew, there was a time about 20 years ago I desired to buy the best system my ears could hear. In other words when I couldn't tell the difference from the $2K speakers to the $3K speakers I figured I would have the best system for me. Well once I heard a $10K system and the dealer improved something in it (and the raised the cost) and I still heard the difference I gave up. I knew I could never afford the system that maxed out my hearing. Well ~20 years later I am close to having the best system I can have.

1. Listening, I listen to music almost every day for at least an hour if I can. So I know my system intimately.

2. It is about all I can afford.

3. I work at it more than most with tweaking things, improving the room the best I could.

4. I spend time on this forum and other places learning as much as I can. I dialogue and share information about audio.

You will hear things andrew, go spend time listening to live music, spend time in hifi shops, listen to your system. Over time you will recognize things in live music that are not in your system. Spend time here, ask us questions. You seem to have a healthy interest in this hobby. You do not have to spend a lot of cash to enjoy it. You just have to listen then work at improving your system.

Many upgrades are free as you will soon find out.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 406
A few other points I would make, just because I think it's important to understand it's as much about effort as money.

1. It's astonishing how good you can make an affordable system sound, if you've taken the time to a)understand what you're looking for and b) researched and listened until you've found it. All-in, I've spent around $3000 for my rig (including cords and cables), and I love the music it makes.

2. Spending more does not mean you will like it more. I've heard $10,000 systems that I would not trade my rig for. Of course, I've heard $10,000 systems that I would trade for in a New York minute. Point being, you can spend a lot of money and get less, if you don't know what you want or how to put it together.

3. Spending less does not mean you get less. I have a friend who didn't spend more than $1000 on his entire system, and he think's it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think it sounds like crap. But what I think doesn't matter one bit. For him it's blissful, so I listen with him, drink my beer, tap my foot, and say "right on man, that's awesome, turn it up.". Who am I to mess with his bliss ?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11163
Don't diss bliss, it would be remiss.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8218
Right on Chris!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1905
Most cases I have to disagree,you spend more you get more it doesent really apply to Chinese products right now but that will change prices will rise.After hearing and spending lots of time with expenisve systems,you do indeed get a lot more,but the question is can you afford it,or do you think its worth it,everyones milege may vary,but you do get more,in my eyes its a fact not a opinion,people around here use the word "opinion" very losely and "fact" very tightly.China is the key to getting it all right now without going broke i cant imagine that window will stay open forever especially considering our failing economy,other than that if your not paying alot your not really getting close to the true highend sound unless your buying used.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 407
Tawaun, I think you missed my point. Sure you CAN pay more and get more, but it's not a guarantee. I've heard lots of expensive components that I do not enjoy. So, saying "you pay more, you get more" is not an absolute.

And I would not agree that "better" is fact rather than opinion. Better for you is not necessarily better for me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1906
Chris facts arent always pretty and pleasing,really highend speakers and electronics tell the truth,midpriced and budget gear play pleasing and exciting music that curve to our inner personalaties true highend gear play whats on the recording unadultrated with no prefference for what its producing,love it or leave it.So i can see where you get the term "whats better for you doesent necessarily mean better for me" You gotta learn to understand it before you can make judgements.And then there's that buyers reasurrance program we have in our head,but its really more like positive illusions in people's head for instance this is what most would say thats under this spell "that system costs $30k my $3k system sounds as good as that" no...no...no...its all a illusion a predetermined saftety cushion in the back of your head telling you a lie,justafying to your conscience that you got as much for $3k that the guy did paying $30k,so yeah i guess it is a opinion if you view it optimisticly and unobjectively like that,well thats atleast what we tell ourselves when we cant afford it,or refuse to pay those prices.So i guess its back to that word "opinion" you guys favorite term that you throw around so often on this forum,have fun in your budget buyers bubbles,1 day you all might understand or face the truth and what facts really are, in audio facts and the "truth" are a lot more relavent in the audioworld than you all wanna believe,im out,have fun with this merry-go-round.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 386
All that harmony, shot to he11.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1907
Yep the truth can do that,now im really out love you guys have a great thanks giving.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 409
Tawaun, you really do think in absolutes. What you seem to be saying is, if it costs more....any amount more....it's better...always...to everyone. If this is what you're saying then I couldn't disagree more.

As I said previously, I know I can spend more money and get better sound. But, I also know I can go out and spend more money and screw up what I've already got.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8232
Here's the rub on the "high end tells the truth" theory. Two $100,000 dollar systems side by side and both with well respected high end gear...if either of them are telling "the truth" then why do they both sound different...simple...they are both telling the truth per their designer. Again...with high end gear as with low end gear you have to choose your flavor. Their is no absoltue truth and as yet "The Absolute Sound" is an ideal which has not been realized.

So let's eat a lot of turkey and listen to our flavor of the week...lol!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Tawaun says..........."true highend gear play whats on the recording unadulterated with no preference for what its producing,love it or leave"

unless you are the person playing the music that is being recorded,or the person mastering the music, that is being played.how would you know what you are supposed to be hearing as it was recorded.

Happy Thanksgiving

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11169
TW, I think my kit is as resolutely unremorsful in the reproduction of the source material as anything that is out there.

Is this a good thing for the price?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1908
Nuck,no a good highend syestem tells you the truth,without destroying the music,you should know the worts but it should'nt be absolutely unlistenable,you got week spots in your setup,i would look at the cables 1st,but it should not be unremorsful,bad thing right there Nuck.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 418
So TW, if the source material is crap, a "good" highend system will make it sound "good" ?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11205
I have a handfull of recordings that soumded fine elsewhere, but failed in my room.
Likewise, I have enjoyed castoffs from friends deemed barely listenable.

How odd.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1602
Nuck, I recall something you brought to my place did not really sing on my kit. Bring it back, let's see how it does now. Do you remember what it was?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2122
Tragically Hip

Huge in Canada. They are from Kingston,Ontario baby!!lol.(Home town)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1910
Chris no it doesent,but it doesent make it worse either,but top resolution can change the way anything sounds,it brings the recording as the artist intended more specifically,what the recording studio intended.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 425
To Art's earlier points, two expensive systems can sound quite different. They can't both possibly "...brings the recording as the artist intended more specifically,what the recording studio intended." And it's entirely possible that neither do, since neither system is aware of the artists intent. Perhaps they are both closer than a given less expensive system, perhaps they are both further away. It's subjective to the listener.

To me there are only differences, and we each decide which components or systems sound best to us. You'll find folks here who have built their own speakers for a few hundred bucks which they prefer over speakers you may pay thousands of dollars for.

There are few absolutes in audio.

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 249
Andrew,

Listen and take some heed to the guys/gals here. They are very knowledgable and don't mind offering years experiences for good and bad sounding gear. They bring a great deal to the table in turns of sharing info.

I can say this from personal experience becasue many of them helped me with my simply blissful 2ch setup.

After months with my current gear I can say I am truly happy. Yes i could spend more for improvement but until I have another house with dedicated listening space it would be moot. In the end it's all about the music.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8315
Well said Chris and Ed.

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 250
Hey Art, glad to see you are still at it.

It's amazing when your kit allows you to listen to music and not wonder what if at times. I've been trying to get out to some audio spots to listen to more gear to be more helpful here, but I can't seem to leave the house.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8316
That's a good thing Ed....as long as you don't become a shut-in!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us