Marantz 6150 only playing out of left channel

Username: Ramchandra

Post Number: 1
so I have this thing taken apart and I can't tell why it is only playing out of the left channel.

There is a solder joint that is a little shoddy but it is on the left channel.

Is the problem clear up in the tone arm?

Please Help! I just got a bunch of new vinyl and I'm itching to listen.

Thanks

Cade

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13113

We're gonna need a bit more than that to help.

Post Number: 2
I have tried it with three different phono pre amps, 2 different amps, and two different cartridges still only left side.

Post Number: 3
the left (white) rca jack is soldered to two pins with a white wire and a black wire. the white was barely soldered on and when I moved it the thing came right off.

I followed the wire and I know it terminates to the white RCA jack.

The red rca jack connections appear to be perfectly intact. Yet that is the channel that is not working.

I'm going to resolder the white wire tomorrow to see what happens but I have a suspicion that it is not the only problem.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11121
Cade, when did it stop?
Did it work in place before?
Do you have a meter to check the resistance across each leg from the rca leads?We be needing much more information, if you provide it, then it could be solved quickly.

ps...have you ever worked on a table/cart before?

pps, by swapping out componants, you might be exposing each to a short condition and subjecting each to an unfavorable situation...start from where you were, bud.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13114

After you resolder the conenction, with the volume control down to a minimum level, touch the arm cable tags at the back of the cartridge. You should hear a buzz when you touch the "+" side of the connection with a small metal screwdriver. If both channels don't make noise, swap the cartridge leads right to left. If the problem stays in the same channel, the problem is very likely to be in the tonearm wiring. If this table has a removable headshell, with the volume down, touch the various connection points at the end of the tonearm with a small screwdriver. Check for noise at each point.

Post Number: 4
I have not worked on a table before but I do have a meter, and some experience with electronics.

My friend gave it to me because the right channel didn't work he said it would be a good TT if I could fix it.

I am not swapping components.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us