Paradigm Studio 20 vs Monitor 7/9

Username: Catalystg

Post Number: 1
I am looking to upgrade my current 3.1 home theater to 5.1. My current components consist of Mini Monitor fronts, a CC190 center, a PDR10 and a Yamaha rx v661 receiver. The system is used for 30% music, 70% movies/games. My initial idea was to get either the Monitor 9s or 7s as fronts and move the Minis to the rear. I know the Monitor 7s would better match the center but I liked the sound of the 9s better. However, I recently have come across a deal for a pair of used Studio 20s v4.

I know they are not ideal with the current center, but I am able to get them for a bit less than the Monitor 9s and I have heard they are noticeably better besides for the bass.

I was wondering what peoples opinions were? Is getting the Studios now worth it considering the rest of the current system?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 490
Any chance of listening to the Studio 20's to help decide? Ultimately your ears are the best judge.

Bronze Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 54
What kind of music do you like?

Username: Catalystg

Post Number: 2
I have a wide range of music that I enjoy. Anything from classical and instrumental to jazz and rock.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2088
I like Jim's idea of the audition.

I can give you my opinion of experience I have had with both speakers and that would be that the Studio 20's are superior to anything in the Monitor Series. The new 9's provide a lot of bass but the bass is slow, and boomy. The Studio 20's bass is much tighter, and accurate. I personally would get the 20's. The Studio line is still a decent timbre match to the Monitor line, and will give you a chance to work your system up to a full improved surround sound system one day. Cheers.

Bronze Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 80
Like Nuck said, Studio series is superior to the Monitor series. I've listened to both and wouldn't even consider the Monitor series.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us