PROAC STUDIO 140 LOUDSPEAKER

Username: Rapid

MOOSIC, PA USA

Post Number: 1
I can't understand the rave reviews of the 140. Auditioned them for several weeks and was somewhat dissapointed. Mid range was very pleasing but was overshadowed by the poor reproduction of the brassy sounding, lack of depth reproduction of symbols etc and vocals.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11067
Matthew, what kind of equipment did you try them with, and what was your source?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3306
The reason is you're looking for symbols when it's playing cymbals. Sorry, cheap shot...

I have to say I've heard 140s on a couple of occasions and I would never say there was a problem with any particular part of the spectrum. They're not my bag because they don't engage me, but in terms of depth, balance and bandwidth I wouldn't say they were substantively any worse or better than their competition.

The problems you're describing lead me to wonder about positioning and setup but if you've been trying them out over several weeks I'd imagine you played around with that.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1872
I heard the 140's and I was very engaged as a matter of fact I've never heard a Pro Ac I didnt like,I cant say that for every speaker company I've heard.Setup had to be wrong from what you said you heard,their a pretty easy load,but they do sing the electronics signal,they are pretty transparent so i would look at that.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 374
Matthew, what do you own for speakers now that you swapped out while doing the audition ? Were the 140's brand new or nearly new ?

MOOSIC, PA USA

Post Number: 2
Appreciate everyones response.
Nuck equipment as follows:
Classe 101 Amp - Ayre K3 Pre-Amp -
Dennon CD Player used as transport with
Audio Alchemy DAC. Kimber 8TC modified
with Cardas interconnects

Frank not a shot just cheap. Long day
not really paying attention. Thanks for your comments and as yuo (oops!) you stated I have been changing and tweaking the positions. I believe I have them in good Locations that produce good soundstaging and sound.

Tawaun thanks for your comments.

Chris I own a pair of Epos ES14's.
The speakers are brand new out of the box
and I'm on day three of break-in phase.
Again thanks everyone.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3312
Matthew,

Any chance this could simply be you don't much like the ProAc presentation? A lot of people find it quite hard to move on from ES14s.

If so, you may wish to consider Totem Mani-2 Signatures instead. Difficult to drive (as, indeed, are the ES14s), but fabulous in places.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1874
I would stick to the 14's thats a very special speaker,Franks right they are hard to move on from,you gotta true classic right there buddy,keep the software going.

MOOSIC, PA USA

Post Number: 3
Many thanks to both Frank Abela and
Tawaun A. Williams for your thoughts
and your time. Maybe it is the migration
from the 14's to the Proac.
I will stick to the Epos and see what happens with the Proac. Perhaps a speaker cable change.
May need assistance at some point in the future.
Matthew

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 376
I'm not familiar with the break-in characteristics of Proac speakers, but there aren't many speakers you'll hear the best out of for a few hundred hours minimum. At least 100 hours on many before they even settle in. I wouldn't judge too much just yet.

That being said, as Frank suggests, they may just not be your thing.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11081
Didn't Art run these Proac's for a short while? I think he found them wanting power? Art?

MOOSIC, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Chris,
as you stated, maybe I need a few hundred hours minimum so the speakers can settle in. I will continue on with the break-in period. Thanks Chris.

Nuck,
I did in fact notice a difference between the ES14's and the Proac's.
I will wait and Hopefully Art will respond on the power.
Thanks Nuck

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8068
I had the Studio 110 and no they weren't power hungry at all. I just felt that I could never quite get the sound right...gave up and went Rega.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us