KIA Sttafs

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1507
Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to replace the woofers (yup, both of 'em) on a Sttaf.

Don't ask...

And while we're at it, if the woofers are blown, does that mean that the crossovers are also smoked?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 400
A place to start (hopefully):

http://www.speakerex.com/

The X-Over is not necessarily toast but it depends on what you did to the poor things!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1508
Let's just say it wasn't pretty.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1974
you didnt use them as a Martial Arts training partner did you David? lol. Sucks to hear that man. Woofers are usually not that expensive.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1509
LOL Nick. I love my Sttafs... I would never hurt them (intentionally).

My dealer told me that the would order the woofers and replace them for me, but he also mentioned that if the crossovers are fried it could get pretty expensive.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 149
Man oh man Dave, I'm honestly hurting for you. Sounds like your dealer will take care of you...I'm not asking for the price but hopefully the woofers are reasonable...original Totem parts I'm sure.
So this one you can't blame on your kids or the dog or cat for that matter, eh?
I've got a suggestion...no more Metal on those Sttafs.
No really bud, all the best with it and I hope the crossovers are fine.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1510
Thanks George. Ok, here's the deal. I was experimenting with a small tube preamp that I had picked up. I won't mention the dealer (not my ususal dealer here in Ottawa) or the manufacturer since I am in contact with the dealer who will hopefully offer me a satisfactory conclusion to this.

The preamp didn't function, and as I was messing with the input switches the preamp caused a huge level of distortion to be emitted from my Sttafs. When I hooked them back up to a functioning pre, the woofers we no longer working.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Must be nice to have that wife-approved audio equipment expense account. Good for you experimenting with the tube preamp. A tube pre with a solid state power is a winning combination...usually. Well when you get everything sorted out you'll need to give us the make and model...I expect it wasn't a Davinci - he, he.
I would have loved to hear how it turned out. I didn't see you solicit any input from the forum on good tube pre's...was it a bit of a whip purchase?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10897

Oh man.

That shite ain't right.(still)
Did you ship the offending unit back yet David?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1511
It was an impulse purchase George. Even more impulsive than my usual impulsiveness.

Shipping the unit back tomorrow morning, Nuck. It's sitting here all boxed up next to me as I type this.

Last week the Dane at 10 pairs of my wife's shoes. She went shoe shopping today. I roasted my Sttafs with a sh!tty preamp, I should go speaker shopping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
Hey Dave, if you're brave enough, you could remove the woofers and test them directly to an amp to see if they are working. If they work, then you know it's the crossovers. If they don't work, you could hook another set of speakers to the woofer leads in the Sttafs and see if they sounds o.k. If they do, you know the crossovers are fine and it's isolated to the woofers. On the other hand, you could wait for your dealer but if you're like me, you might want to know what you're up against, sooner rather than later. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3035
Those extra Bryston amps are like money in the bank David. I'd try scamming one from you in your time of need if I needed a better amp

Seriously though, that sucks man. When it rains, it pours.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1512
That's a good idea George. I'm pretty sure that at the very least the woofers are toast. My dealer showed me a tip - gently push the woofers in with a finger on each side. If there's a scratching sound as it travels in, then the voice coil is likely warped. I tried this, and both of them made a nasty scratching sound.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3036
BTW - It wasn't one of those contraversial pre-amps we were discussing elsewhere, was it?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1513
You let me know if you need an amp Stu, I have a few extra ;-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1514
Hmmm. I may have missed that thread.

Was it discussing preamps of foreign manufacture?

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Yup, the itchy and scratchy sound is more than warped voicecoils. In fact if you listen carefully you'll probably hear them ringing a little, like what a burnt light bulb sounds like when you shake it. You probably burnt the voicecoils, in fact, with a high voltage/current they will just blowup right off the spool they are wound around - like candy floss all in there. I hate when that happens, cause they look perfect from the outside but there all torn up on the inside.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1516
Yup. I did a really good number on them.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3037
"Hmmm. I may have missed that thread. Was it discussing preamps of foreign manufacture?"

TW's Chinese amps thread.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1840
It never hurts to go speaker shopping David,I just cant stop going.lol

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1517
I know what you mean TW. I'm going to need something in the interim while the Sttafs in recovery.

Yup Stu, it was Chinese.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1978
ouch David. Sorry to hear. Your dealer will have you fixed up in no time I bet.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1518
Thanks buddy.

Hopefully they can take a look at them and give me a quote this weekend.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1841
So,David any interim canadates?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1842
I had a blast litening to the Definitive Mythos STS today,very good speaker,tremendous controlled bass thats weaven into a whole,very cohesive you cant even tell they have powered subs,but you hear and feel how deep it is,huge soundstage to,impressive.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1519
Hey TW, to answer your question - yup, there is a candidate.

I've been curious about the Ascend Sierra-1's for quite some time now. After doing a fair amount of research I decided to pull the trigger.

Ordered some b-stock in natural finish. I'll report back as soon as I get them.

On another note, I'll be bringing in my Sttafs to my dealer this weekend for an estimate.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1979
The Ascend speakers are built by hand all the way through right? Or am I wrong? I could have swore you can buy their speakers in DIY kits as well. They are suppose to be very nice. Good stuff David. Oh and they are environmental friendly. They only use Bamboo for their cabinets or something? lol Thats cool.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1520
I believe they are, Nick. They're assembled in the US (so they're covered under NAFTA).

They are indeed made of bamboo (fast growing, sustainable wood supply). Not that I'm a treehugger or anything, but it's kinda neat. Besides that, they look really nice. Apparently for monitors, they reach really low too (44 hz).

Photos will be inbound as soon as I get them.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1521
Check that - 39 hz inroom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
I believe I've heard of them but I looked them up. Cool product. Sounds like imaging is one of their strengths. I like the bamboo construction, it's a unique approach and I would love to try the knuckle wrap on them. You've gotta give us a review when you get them setup. Have you got stands for bookshelves that will work with them?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1522
I will for sure George. I just picked up some new steel stands yesterday, and assembled them last night.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1594
So just as a follow-up, I heard back from the dealer of the pre-amp that blew up my Sttafs. I sent the unit back to them for evaluation and (as I expected) they claim the pre-amp works perfectly and couldn't possibly be the cause of my blown Sttafs.

Still waiting for the refund from the pre-amp to show up on my credit card statement too.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1627
Got my refund.

Just in case anyone was wondering, here is the culprit:

http://www.audiophileproducts.com/tubehead

Caveat emptor.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2031
Based on the inside of that thing David, it appears cheap. You could probably build yourself one of those, that wouldn't blow up your speakers.LOL!!! Seriously though!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1630
Yeah, I know eh? What was I thinking?

Somebody slap me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Hey, we all have our moments. It wasn't love it was just sax....right?

I meant to spell it like dat.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1632
LOL... yeah, it was just a one night thing that unfortunately had lasting consequences. Sorta like real life I guess.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2036
LOL!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us