Jbl studio monitor 4435

Username: Mikecollins86

Post Number: 1
Hello all.

I've inherited a pair of jbl studio monitor 4435 speakers. They are mounted high and seem to have 'lamp cord' for speaker wire. They were hooked up to some cheap 'all in one' technics stereo system from the 80s.

When I turned it on, all I hear is a very weak, scratchy sound with no bass. Is there a specific way to test the speakers to see if they are ruined? Is the stereo simply not sending enough power to drive them? These things are HUGE and seem TOTALLY mismatched to the stereo so I thought that must be the issue (I hope...)

There is a second set of speakers that came with the stereo that sound fine (relative to how cheap they are...) so are the speakers blown???

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 399
You may have ruled out the stereo as the problem if the second set of speakers sound ok so all you have left is the lamp cord and the speakers. Let's hope the lamp cord is the problem.

Can the JBL's be removed from the wall?

Post Number: 2
Probably. I saw an ad for a speaker repair place here in orange county that said it could be the foam around the speakers. Would that make them sound all scratchy with hardly any output?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 148
Nope. Itchy and Scratchy comes from a sore throat, just kidding.
You need to isolate the problem. Right now, from your description, no one could tell you whether it is the amp, the wires, the speaker connections or the speakers themselves, much less if it's the woofers or the tweeters.
Can you try another set of speakers on the same amp and see if you get the same distortion with them? Alternatively, can you unhook the speakers and try them on another amplifier to see if they still sound distorted. To start with, do you have access to another set of wires to try hooking them up with that and see if the distortion is still there.
If it turns out that it is in fact the speakers that are damaged, a refoam will not get rid of a scratchy sound. A scratchy sound would most likely come from a damaged or blown voicecoil in either the woofer or the tweeters or possibly oxidization/rust between to voicecoil and the magnet.
Can you tell if the scratchy sound is coming from the tweeters or the woofers or both?

Post Number: 3
they are high above so I can't really tell, but it's obvious the foam has completely disentegrated. it 'seems' like the muffled/scratchiness is from both. it is also muffled/scratchy in BOTH speakers.

I will bring in my receiver from home and hook them up and see what we get.

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
The deteriorated foam suspension material will cause most of the problems at high volume levels in that the bass response will be somewhat diminished and the cone may become unstable at REALLY high volume. This is not your immediate problem and you are on the right track on troubleshooting.

Can I ask where these things are? Is it possible that the speakers were played using the Technics at very high volume? A poor amp, distortion, and high volume is a good recipe for smoke!

BTW- Itchy and Scratchy come from...

The Simpson's!!!

Bronze Member
Username: 900ss

Post Number: 15
You can be sure they're blowd up. This brings me back to my youth, hooking up a pair of large speakers to a small cheap amp or receiver in hope of getting huge sound will cause this every time. A few minutes of large distorted sound a few beers maybe a doobie and everything sounds great, till the morning, then cha ching $$$

Do you have a good amp to drive them?
If not don't bother on the recone kit, or buy a few kits, ya get good at it but watch the glue

Brewster

Username: Racer25

Post Number: 1
Where would anyone recommend getting a refoam kit for the 4435's? I want to refoam the bass speakers myself. Are all refoam kits the same? I want good quality.

Thx

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
http://www.speakerex.com/

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1595
Most likely the woofers are blown on both speakers. The sound you describe is a lot like the sound coming out of my Sttafs when I smoked both woofers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us