PARADIGM MILLENIA VS TOTEM TRIBE

Username: Aauuddiioo

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 1
To all the knowledable members of this forum could you please guide me in my purchase or reference a comparison between the millenia series of speakers by paradigm to the tribe series by Totem, Thanks Kindly

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 2
PROS & CONS VS EACHOTHER

ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 3
Wow I really thought there would be some great perspectives given the extensive knowledge of the forum members. Both are great speakers for people looking for a on wall speaker. Please any input would be very much appreciated, Thanks Kindly

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 141
Sorry man, haven't heard them and can't help ya. The boyz have not chatted about these but maybe they'll chime in. Tonight is a quiet night. Give it a couple days. They'll get you fixed. You looking to buy something soon?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1953
I have only heard the Paradigm set. Nice, warm, sound. The totem sound, however is totally different. Which one is better? Hey, only you can tell this. Its your ears, not ours.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10877
Dude, sorry, I have not heard the Tribe setup.
The Totem range is fairly wide, and not every offering really falls within a 'house' sound. These guys really make a diverse range, the only common denominator is the use of small drivers and very very well tuned enclosures.
Totem believe in making the driver a 'stressed member', which means using the cab to tune the drivers. Actually quite brilliant in application, but with differing results.
This makes the Arros much different than say, the Staffs, but each has it's virtues and limitations.

I do not know anybody, and I mean anybody, that could not be happy with something out of the Totem lineup. OK, sometimes it means a lottery win, but they make something for everybody.

And absolutly stunning finishes, I just love the forests!

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 4
Thank you all for your input ,

Gerorge you were right its starting to get Warm
yeah I plan on setting something up soon would like some on walls and really narrowed it down to the millenias sounded quite nice, thought the tweeter could be slightly sharper, but again thats my preference, overall they were quite impressive for the cabinet and driver size. Than I got a few suggestions of the Tribes and here we are

Nick I appreciate your input I take it youve heard both, so whats your take I understand its my ears not yours, thats very commonly stated when asked for comparisons its funny I always read that someone has to say that when asking for help in deciding, but what im looking for here are perspectives, I would much appreciate yours given you have knowledge and listening experience of both, and the Tribes are not something I seem to have found at a dealer with millenias to directly compare so its quite difficult. Look forward to your response.

Nuck no worries I appreciate your response, Im glad to hear positive things about the Totems , considering I have heard so much about the paradigms
What is your prespective on the paradigms in general then, you seem to be quite the fan of the Totems

Again anyone with input on the whole Tribe vs Millenia debate Id greatly appreciate your input
thank you all kindly

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3221
I've only heard the Tribes which I found to be amazing. They're small and they're stuck on a wall and they just fill a room with a really homogenous clear sound.

But I don't know how the Paradigms sound so I can't compare...sorry.

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 5
Thanks Frank I appreciate that, more and more im hearing positive about the Totems
would love for someone to be able to comment on how they compare, from what I have been advised and researched both are extremely good wall speakers for such small enclosures

Look Forward to alll your feedback and comments
Take Care All
ttys

Gold Member

Post Number: 1969
Both are nice, but in the SQ department I can't see the Paradigms keeping up with the Totems. If I had two choices, and they those were it. I would probably pick the Totems. Cheers.

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 6
thanks nick I just realised you stated you had only heard the Paradigms, yet you would Choose the Totems, did you hear either of the specific models Tribe or millenia?........I appreciate your feedback its a strong statement when someone chooses a speaker they havent heard over one they have, does that mean you were dissapointed with the millenias?

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 7
HTM Paradigm review
http://www.hometheatermag.com/inwallspeakers/1107para/index.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1970
I have only heard the Paradigms. Yes i Have heard the Millenia's. They are a decent sounding speaker. I say I would pick the Totems, based on the fact that I feel the Tribe's are in another category in sound. I have good friends that have heard them on many occasions and claim they are some of the best on-wall speakers they have ever heard. These same friends have heard the Paradigms speakers.

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 8
Oh I see, thanks for clarifying that,
Ive heard simmilar commnets to yours before from other people but no one really clarified how they came to that conclusion,
so thanks for your quick response

Its kind of a bit odd actually, Home Theatre Magazine rated Millenias Higher in Test Scores in comparison to the Tribes, but majority of people have the same prespective as you
Take Care

As always I look forward to all your input

Gold Member

Post Number: 1975
Home Theater Magazine rate a lot of crap very highly IMO. I don't read their magazine anymore, or take into consideration their reviews either. I have disagreed with about 80 percent of everything they hear. lol.

Bronze Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 42
what are some good magazines/websites?

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 9
Good question
If I were to look for reviews what magazine/website would in your oppinion be accurate in their ratings???

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3038
I have no experience with either product. Both companies are very good, and which is best may very well be a preference thing.

Martin Logan also makes a similar product that is well respected. Not sure about how they compare sound, functionally, and price wise, but they're worth looking into.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1977
Hi fi Choice, What Hi Fi, Stereophile. A review is a review, just one mans opinion. Like Stu said, the best way to tell which is better to you is to hear them for yourself.

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 10
None of the Above Magazines have ever tested or reviewed The Totem Tribes or Paradigm Millenias
Can you suggest a link that would compare the two or individual review by a magazine that I may decipher and compare
Thanks
Still would love everyones input o this comparison

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3062
If a Google search of reviews or searching magazine sites for reviews didn't bring anything up for you, it won't bring anything up for us either. They're North American products, and therefore don't have as strong a presence in Europe. Especially Paradigm for some reason.

Try What Hifi Sound and Vision, and Home Theater magazine. Hifi magazines don't cover much home theater stuff.

Regardless of what we or a professional reviewer say, you need to hear them yourself. There's no substitute for that. Go on their webpages and find dealers near you. Call them to see if they have them on the floor. That's how the rest of us do it.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1573
Inamak, since you are in Toronto you should have lots of choices to go and check out both speakers for yourself. Maybe someone in the GTA can recommend some good places? George?

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
I actually haven't seen or heard either. Bay and Bloor is the place I've auditioned Totems but I haven't seen the Tribes there. They may have a setup, give their website a look. On the Paradigm side, there are many dealers around the GTA and they have a big shop just north of the city. Maybe if you're auditioning at a convenient time, I can tag along and give you a second opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 130
Last year, when my son was smaller than he is now, I spent a lot of time to find best on wall speakers. I found that beside the Tribe, you should listen to Dynaudio A42W or Contour SR. They are very very good on wall speakers. I had them for few months.

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 11
Thanks all for your input I really appreciate it, I will go and listen to both and thats the only way I would purchase but having input aids in the purchase, anyones experience in listening to either maybe able to post pros and cons that maybe missed when I am examining its not only listening but reviewing stats of the speakers that someone may be able to chime in on.
I really appreciate the offer George, and would love to take you up on it
Thanks to everyone else aswell and i lok forward to your input

Bronze Member

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 19
Is it really worth the space saving of on walls for the sacrafice of sound???
I know this is a whole other topic but what do you think about the sound production of the tribe and millenia is it a huge sacrafice in your opinion to have on walls , other than low end will there be alot im missing????

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3283
Well, one would have to compare like with like. I've only listened to the top Tribe properly and price for price, I think the Rainmaker (when you include suitable stands) and Hawk are closest. Both Rainmaker and Hawk will leave the Tribe for dead.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
Inamak,
There's a review on the Totem Tribes paired with the Totem Storm sub in the November 2008 issue of Sound & Vision pg.70. A fairly brief review but they liked the speakers - S&V Recommended rating. The tests were interesting though because they revealed a noticeable dip in the frequencies between 150Hz to 1.3kHz. As well, the Storm did not provide very much low frequency dynamic performance, dropping of steeply at around 35Hz. Specs. aside it appears they do sound very good for home theatre and surround music tracks. If you don't want to buy the issue you could look it up online sometime in the next month or two - see the following link:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us